The Future of Drugs

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 2:42:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is just an idea I've had.

It seems likely to me that, in the not too distant future, we will make great progress in nanotechnology and it's application on the human body.

For all of our history, we've had to handle with a variety of chemicals to effect our bodies in the way we seek, be it recreational or medical. Most of the chemicals have moderate to severe unintended effects that accompany the desired ones.

Now we have the opportunity for a breakthrough. Injection of microscopic robots into the human body to manipulate cells, neurons and other tissues in ways more specific and fine tuned than we have ever had a chance to do before.

This revolutionizes medicine. It may even be the key to immortality. Drugs for fighting harmful organisms only end up creating super organisms that may require years to discover a new cure. Nanobots merely need to be programmed to search and destroy or apply certain treatments where needed.

Likewise, this revolutionizes recreational drug use. Primarily, through making it completely impossible to suppress by law any longer. Currently, drugs can only be outlawed when congress makes a specific law against them or their close chemical relatives. Drugs like salvia remain legal because they have no similarities to other drugs. With the invention of nanobots, new "drugs" would be created just as fast as people can program computers. The government would never be able to catch up. And there's no way they would make a general outlaw of them, because their useful applications are simply too huge.

I'm confident in the affirmation that nanobots will be the single most important and influential tool in human possession.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 3:49:48 AM
Interesting perspective, FRIEDA.

You'd like this talk. He mentions nanobots a few times as well as several interesting technologies.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 4:04:20 AM
At 10/10/2012 2:42:53 AM, FREEDO wrote:
This is just an idea I've had.

It seems likely to me that, in the not too distant future, we will make great progress in nanotechnology and it's application on the human body.

For all of our history, we've had to handle with a variety of chemicals to effect our bodies in the way we seek, be it recreational or medical. Most of the chemicals have moderate to severe unintended effects that accompany the desired ones.

Now we have the opportunity for a breakthrough. Injection of microscopic robots into the human body to manipulate cells, neurons and other tissues in ways more specific and fine tuned than we have ever had a chance to do before.

This revolutionizes medicine. It may even be the key to immortality. Drugs for fighting harmful organisms only end up creating super organisms that may require years to discover a new cure. Nanobots merely need to be programmed to search and destroy or apply certain treatments where needed.

Likewise, this revolutionizes recreational drug use. Primarily, through making it completely impossible to suppress by law any longer. Currently, drugs can only be outlawed when congress makes a specific law against them or their close chemical relatives. Drugs like salvia remain legal because they have no similarities to other drugs. With the invention of nanobots, new "drugs" would be created just as fast as people can program computers. The government would never be able to catch up. And there's no way they would make a general outlaw of them, because their useful applications are simply too huge.

I'm confident in the affirmation that nanobots will be the single most important and influential tool in human possession.

That is the key! Glad I will not be here when this fully comes about!
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:25:01 AM
Bad idea. Do you want immortal soldiers?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 1:25:05 PM
Immortality is an interesting thing. Even extending the human life to 300 years puts the reproduction/death cycle so out of whack there would have to be serious reproduction law lest we can find further space for people by colonizing space.

We are soon on the verge via nanotechnology to cure disease, but I believe it to be just a stepping stone towards creating life with full designer access.

Who needs drugs when your were designed to "feel" happiness 80% of the time or your liver is artificially designed to work 500% better for filtering out harmful chemicals and elements or upgrade the immunity system to automatically identify and eliminate free radicals before they damage any cell dna?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 4:35:01 PM
At 10/10/2012 5:25:01 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

They wouldn't protect against injury. I was referring to old age.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 5:58:05 AM
At 10/10/2012 5:25:01 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Yes, where can I buy them?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 10:42:02 PM
I can't wait for LSD that never wears off.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 10:51:07 AM
At 10/13/2012 10:42:02 PM, CrazyPerson wrote:

I feel that way when it comes to weed and shrooms. Actually shrooms feels like a sort of weed- lsd compromise, to me. I seriously wouldn't mind being under the influence of weed all the time if I could afford it. I can still drive, perform high mental capacities like pay attention in class and take tests well. I'm just majorly chilled it, happy, empathetic, my body feels amazing, I'm very thoughtful and aware of the absurdities of human existence. I'm actually not sure if I'd be able to live a life of constant shroomery; maybe once a week at most or every few weeks. If everyone tried shrooms once or twice, human society would improve drastically and immediately. We'd all be aware of the limitations of human reason/human knowledge, which is key since most of mankind's problems result from being too sure about things, and we'd feel strong empathy and brotherhood toward mankind. Okay, this is a total tangent.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:42:41 PM

Plenty of people get that already. If your brain cannot re-establish the chemical balance, you never come down.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 10:12:46 PM
At 10/17/2012 8:42:41 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Plenty of people get that already. If your brain cannot re-establish the chemical balance, you never come down.

Lol is that just basically the same as going insane?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2012 11:09:49 AM
I see great advances for mankind in the discussed areas but I don't see a connection to immortality. I see absolutely nothing, even in the distant future, that could even hypothetically extend our lives more than a modest amount from what it currently is. Organ failure occurs throughout our whole body by about 100 years of age, and someone who dies of "old age" is typically dying of multiple things by the time they end up failing. Indeed, doctors have an economic process, if you will, of ignoring many things (e.g., cancers) in the elderly simply because they calculate that the time it takes for these diseases to run their course is longer than you have to live anyway. You could convince me perhaps that our simpler organs could be renewed with nanotech, to a point, but the brain is much too complex to save and if you can't save our minds than the rest is pretty moot.

Part of the reason you may feel we will extend our lives is that you assume we already have. We haven't. It may seem so because the average life-span has been increasing for the last couple centuries, but this is misleading because there are an incredible amount of factors at play here, not just medical technology. Just look up the ages of various ancient people and see that they weren't all dying off at 30 years old... Socrates was healthy as can be at 70 years old and had to be forcibly killed, and that was 2500 years ago. There is a bit of mythology surrounding Socrates so use your own examples... ages of past US Presidents perhaps. We really haven't improved much at all.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.