Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Aliens

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:57:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Do you believe aliens exist? Based on what evidence, argument, statistics, etc?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 6:17:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The existence of extra terrestrial life is statistically almost virtually certain.

Whether they have visited Earth, I find very improbable.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 6:19:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
People who assume that "UFO = aliens" are as dumb as people who think "existence of universe = God". They are both non sequiturs.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 6:28:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/10/2012 6:19:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
People who assume that "UFO = aliens" are as dumb as people who think "existence of universe = God". They are both non sequiturs.

Aliens probably haven't visited Earth, but they most likely exist.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 8:10:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/10/2012 6:28:36 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 10/10/2012 6:19:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
People who assume that "UFO = aliens" are as dumb as people who think "existence of universe = God". They are both non sequiturs.



Aliens probably haven't visited Earth, but they most likely exist.

I love that man. There's a small movement to write him in as president.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
ObiWan
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 8:30:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you can find amino acids in asteroids, sugar in nebulas and water in far away galaxies then life should almost certainly exist somewhere else in our universe.

Would you consider people living in a parallel universe to an alien? Presupposing they exist.
These are not the droids you're looking for.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 9:40:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/10/2012 5:57:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Do you believe aliens exist?

Yes.

Based on what evidence, argument, statistics, etc?

The undeniable fact that several of the posters on DDO are not from this planet.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 1:22:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Fermi's paradox:

Given how easy it is to create the building blocks of simple life (self assembling amphipathic vesicles, molecules that self-replicate without enzymes, etc.), and given the universe's sufficiently large spatial and temporal size (100-500 billion galaxies existing for 13.75 billion years), we should expect that life has arisen an appreciable number of times and that at least a few of those incidences have resulted in sentient, technological species.

However, given how rapidly technological progress accelerates and given how much time any technological species has had to exist, we should expect most galaxies to be literally saturated with alien technology.

Why then haven't we seen any?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 1:27:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't think aliens exist.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 1:30:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 1:22:44 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
Fermi's paradox:

Given how easy it is to create the building blocks of simple life (self assembling amphipathic vesicles, molecules that self-replicate without enzymes, etc.), and given the universe's sufficiently large spatial and temporal size (100-500 billion galaxies existing for 13.75 billion years), we should expect that life has arisen an appreciable number of times and that at least a few of those incidences have resulted in sentient, technological species.

However, given how rapidly technological progress accelerates and given how much time any technological species has had to exist, we should expect most galaxies to be literally saturated with alien technology.

Why then haven't we seen any?

Would you want to meet us?
VainApocalypse
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 2:22:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 1:30:41 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/12/2012 1:22:44 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
Fermi's paradox:

Given how easy it is to create the building blocks of simple life (self assembling amphipathic vesicles, molecules that self-replicate without enzymes, etc.), and given the universe's sufficiently large spatial and temporal size (100-500 billion galaxies existing for 13.75 billion years), we should expect that life has arisen an appreciable number of times and that at least a few of those incidences have resulted in sentient, technological species.

However, given how rapidly technological progress accelerates and given how much time any technological species has had to exist, we should expect most galaxies to be literally saturated with alien technology.

Why then haven't we seen any?

Would you want to meet us?

I can't imagine what the benefit would be. If they were even a couple centuries ahead of us technologically (given time frames, the gap is likely to be orders of magnitude larger), we could not possibly have anything of interest to offer them. Consequently, they'd have no incentive to maintain a relationship with us or contribute to our welfare.

The encounter, I think, would be brief, unintelligible and unrepeated with no foreseeable benefit. So no, I'm ambivalent about meeting you.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 2:24:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 1:27:46 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
I don't think aliens exist.

It's more likely to believe that aliens exist than a personal God exists.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 2:33:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/10/2012 6:19:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
People who assume that "UFO = aliens" are as dumb as people who think "existence of universe = God". They are both non sequiturs.

FALSE. The term "UFO" has evolved into a word of it's own which has taken on the widely accepted meaning "alien spacecraft."

Also, even if taken literally, it still means "alien." Why? Because if it were from Earth, someone somewhere on this Earth COULD identify it. Unidentified Flying Object is something that cannot be identified by anyone on this Earth as something from Earth. So even taken literally, UFO means "alien" or "extraterrestrial."

A paper plate soaring through the air is NOT a UFO because one's it comes into clear sight or it lands on the ground, you see it and identify it "hey, just a paper plate." It is not "unidentified."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
LuckyNote
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 10:33:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2012 5:57:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Do you believe aliens exist? Based on what evidence, argument, statistics, etc?


i think they do and that they visited us. my logic is based on some evidences. you see, some people believe in god but there isnt no physical evidences, but evidences of extraterrestrials with advanced technology exist. i dont believe in coincedences. we didnt even had invented the scientific method till arround 1800. two hundreds year later we arrived to the moon. we already altering the genetics of some species. what makes you think that in another 1000 years we arent visiting other planets and colonize them? it makes perfect sense. people have to start to spread their minds, and see things with logic and objectivity. arround the globe are hundreds of things that cant be explained, or they can but the only possibility is outer life influencing humanity so people are afraid to accept that. go see about puma punku, the golden number in the piramydes etc.. and most important why almost every religion says there gods came from the skies? what the hell? our galaxy has more stars, than our planet as grains of sand. and our universe has trillions of galaxys. come on! do some people really think there isn't outer life! that must be the stupidiest, ignorant thoughts ever! thats like grabbing a cup of water, put in the ocean, and because you haven't caught a fish you say there isn't life on oceans. loool use your brains to think for yourselves.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 4:03:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2012 6:19:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
People who assume that "UFO = aliens" are as dumb as people who think "existence of universe = God". They are both non sequiturs.

I've seen UFOs, most of them were probably satellites though. :P
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 4:08:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2012 2:33:12 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/10/2012 6:19:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
People who assume that "UFO = aliens" are as dumb as people who think "existence of universe = God". They are both non sequiturs.

FALSE. The term "UFO" has evolved into a word of it's own which has taken on the widely accepted meaning "alien spacecraft."

Also, even if taken literally, it still means "alien." Why? Because if it were from Earth, someone somewhere on this Earth COULD identify it. Unidentified Flying Object is something that cannot be identified by anyone on this Earth as something from Earth. So even taken literally, UFO means "alien" or "extraterrestrial."

A paper plate soaring through the air is NOT a UFO because one's it comes into clear sight or it lands on the ground, you see it and identify it "hey, just a paper plate." It is not "unidentified."

So you're saying that people who call things UFOs are either exceedingly arrogant or exceedingly ignorant, because what they're actually claiming is that they've seen something that "cannot be identified by anyone on this Earth as something from Earth."
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 4:10:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/9/2013 10:33:05 AM, LuckyNote wrote:
At 10/10/2012 5:57:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Do you believe aliens exist? Based on what evidence, argument, statistics, etc?


i think they do and that they visited us. my logic is based on some evidences. you see, some people believe in god but there isnt no physical evidences, but evidences of extraterrestrials with advanced technology exist. i dont believe in coincedences. we didnt even had invented the scientific method till arround 1800. two hundreds year later we arrived to the moon. we already altering the genetics of some species. what makes you think that in another 1000 years we arent visiting other planets and colonize them? it makes perfect sense. people have to start to spread their minds, and see things with logic and objectivity. arround the globe are hundreds of things that cant be explained, or they can but the only possibility is outer life influencing humanity so people are afraid to accept that. go see about puma punku, the golden number in the piramydes etc.. and most important why almost every religion says there gods came from the skies? what the hell? our galaxy has more stars, than our planet as grains of sand. and our universe has trillions of galaxys. come on! do some people really think there isn't outer life! that must be the stupidiest, ignorant thoughts ever! thats like grabbing a cup of water, put in the ocean, and because you haven't caught a fish you say there isn't life on oceans. loool use your brains to think for yourselves.

Aliens are really strange.

Pyramids*
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 5:55:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2012 5:57:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Do you believe aliens exist? Based on what evidence, argument, statistics, etc?

It's possible, but not proven. Until evidence arises, I see no point in debating it.
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 7:11:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/12/2012 1:22:44 PM, VainApocalypse wrote:
Fermi's paradox:

Given how easy it is to create the building blocks of simple life (self assembling amphipathic vesicles, molecules that self-replicate without enzymes, etc.), and given the universe's sufficiently large spatial and temporal size (100-500 billion galaxies existing for 13.75 billion years), we should expect that life has arisen an appreciable number of times and that at least a few of those incidences have resulted in sentient, technological species.

However, given how rapidly technological progress accelerates and given how much time any technological species has had to exist, we should expect most galaxies to be literally saturated with alien technology.

Why then haven't we seen any?

Because we've never been or seen outside of our own galaxy, and earth is the only planet in this galaxy that we know of which supports sentient life.
pozessed
Posts: 1,034
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 9:57:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Some form of life most likely exists outside of Earth. The fact that organisms can survive in extreme conditions, multiple solar systems exist, and resources for life travel across the galaxy make life possible outside of our planet.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 11:11:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2012 5:57:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Do you believe aliens exist? Based on what evidence, argument, statistics, etc?
This video pretty much sums it up.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2013 11:16:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2012 6:17:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The existence of extra terrestrial life is statistically almost virtually certain.

Whether they have visited Earth, I find very improbable.

It is a fact that there is life elsewhere in the universe. It is a fact that there is life elsewhere in the solar system.

The big questions are, are we the only intelligent life in the universe, and if we are not alone, is it possible to make contact?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
criticalmass
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 7:55:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2012 6:17:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The existence of extra terrestrial life is statistically almost virtually certain.

Whether they have visited Earth, I find very improbable.

Yes the drake equation comes out to about 3.3 planets per year can produce life but not intelligent life. Stephen Hawkings says that it is mathematically impossible for there to be another life form such as ours beyond this planet. but that is not to say life hasn't existed elsewere before. the universe is not static and ever since the big bang it has been growing until one day in the future it will reach its limits and start contracting back towards a mass and once that mass has enough stored energy there will be another big bang and life will emerge somewere in the universe there too so then we must assume with this theory that there have been an infinite number of big bangs and an infite number of so called earths before ours and will be infinite more to come but leading scientists don't waste time on this theory because they say that whatever occurred prior to the big bang is unimportant and they simply cant observe it or know anything about it so the point is that in 20 billion billion billion years when the universe has contracted and another big bang occurs and another human race exists if we could observe them they would be aliens and to them we would be as well.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 8:07:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2012 2:33:12 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/10/2012 6:19:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
People who assume that "UFO = aliens" are as dumb as people who think "existence of universe = God". They are both non sequiturs.

FALSE. The term "UFO" has evolved into a word of it's own which has taken on the widely accepted meaning "alien spacecraft."

Also, even if taken literally, it still means "alien." Why? Because if it were from Earth, someone somewhere on this Earth COULD identify it. Unidentified Flying Object is something that cannot be identified by anyone on this Earth as something from Earth. So even taken literally, UFO means "alien" or "extraterrestrial."

A paper plate soaring through the air is NOT a UFO because one's it comes into clear sight or it lands on the ground, you see it and identify it "hey, just a paper plate." It is not "unidentified."

Actually, if a paper plate were soaring through the air and was not readily identifiable, until closer inspection it would be an unidentified flying object.

Heck, if we got really close to an alien spaceship, we could just call it "Alien Spaceship" not "unidentified flying aircraft."

People like equating UFO and alien spaceship because lots of official reports have the acronym UFO.
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 8:30:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2012 6:17:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The existence of extra terrestrial life is statistically almost virtually certain.

Whether they have visited Earth, I find very improbable.

At 10/10/2012 6:19:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
People who assume that "UFO = aliens" are as dumb as people who think "existence of universe = God". They are both non sequiturs.

I'd be willing to bet that there are systems where there are dual planets, both planets developed life, and one of them got intelligent and discovers life on the other planet. They might even both be intelligent!
0x5f3759df
Sabeeta
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 11:44:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Aliens are also known as extraterrestrial life which means not originated from the Earth. Scientist have found that they exist in the form of bacteria or other organism. Hence, I too believe in Aliens but not those seen in the movies and videos that try to harm our Earth.
Cmaxtor
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 9:56:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The ingredients to life are scatter in great plenty in our galaxy and as such should be prevalent across the universe. When we take into account the misnomer that water is absolutely necessary for life as we know it; the bar widens even greater. What is necessary is oxygen and hydrogen, which water tends to have quite a bit of.
The assumption that there can be no life elsewhere is a self-centered and arbitrary position. So life on other planets? Yes

Life native to space? Maybe, but unlikely.

Intelligent life: perhaps, but also unlikely.

99.9% of our universe exists in an antagonistic state to life. We live in a pretty dangerous place here, and it"s big. Bigger than anything. There is nothing in our existence that is bigger then the universe.