Jump to topic:

Scientists May have Discovered New Matter

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 11:22:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Recent experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Switzerland "the same famous facility that discovered the elusive Higgs boson earlier this year" may have discovered a new type of matter in which particles seemingly interact without any direct connection with each other: "color-glass condensate".

The LHC routinely smashes particles together in high-speed collisions, which promptly breaks the particles up into their constituent sub-particles. Normally, these "shrapnel" fly away in all directions, much like the debris in a car crash. But scientists observing the collision using the LHC's Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) found some pairs of particles that flew away from each other in an orderly, correlated manner "almost as if they knew what the other was doing, even though they were not directly connected to each other.

"Somehow they fly at the same direction even though it's not clear how they can communicate their direction with one another. That has surprised many people, including us," Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) physics professor Gunther Roland told MIT News. His team lead the analysis of the collision data, with Wei Li, assistant professor at Rice University.

This new form of matter is being called 'Color-glass condensate', according to what I have found.

What are your thoughts on this incredible find?

http://www.gmanetwork.com...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 11:32:06 AM
At 11/28/2012 11:22:28 AM, Microsuck wrote:
Recent experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Switzerland "the same famous facility that discovered the elusive Higgs boson earlier this year" may have discovered a new type of matter in which particles seemingly interact without any direct connection with each other: "color-glass condensate".

The LHC routinely smashes particles together in high-speed collisions, which promptly breaks the particles up into their constituent sub-particles. Normally, these "shrapnel" fly away in all directions, much like the debris in a car crash. But scientists observing the collision using the LHC's Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) found some pairs of particles that flew away from each other in an orderly, correlated manner "almost as if they knew what the other was doing, even though they were not directly connected to each other.

"Somehow they fly at the same direction even though it's not clear how they can communicate their direction with one another. That has surprised many people, including us," Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) physics professor Gunther Roland told MIT News. His team lead the analysis of the collision data, with Wei Li, assistant professor at Rice University.

This new form of matter is being called 'Color-glass condensate', according to what I have found.

It doesn't matter to me.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 11:38:15 PM
I'd rather talk about something important, like the new Gangnam Style mobile app.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 8:57:07 AM

Seeing as I believe energy is a conscious intelligence, I find this intriguing.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 1:55:35 PM
At 11/28/2012 11:38:15 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I'd rather talk about something important, like the new Gangnam Style mobile app.

Have scientists really been able to store such awesomeness into the minuscule space of a mobile phone?!?! I never thought I'd live to see the day!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:46:59 PM
At 11/28/2012 11:54:57 AM, drafterman wrote:
Build me a car out of it. Then we'll talk.

Capitalist pig!
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 4:30:38 PM

Amazing discovery. Some people can't see the value in tjis discovery because they don't understand the possible applications of what it can produce. I don't either lol but I get what it could mean for the humanities evolution.