Jump to topic:

Programming software

blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 10:35:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I visited the University of Maryland this past weekend and heard of matlab (think that's the right spelling). I'd never heard of it before this weekend, but everyone I talked with in engineering seemed to use it. I heard it was a really rough and dirty language. Is there anyone that's familiar with it and could explain some of the basics of it or post a link to somewhere I could start learning it myself? Thanks!
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2012 10:51:17 PM
At 12/2/2012 10:35:05 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
I visited the University of Maryland this past weekend and heard of matlab (think that's the right spelling). I'd never heard of it before this weekend, but everyone I talked with in engineering seemed to use it. I heard it was a really rough and dirty language. Is there anyone that's familiar with it and could explain some of the basics of it or post a link to somewhere I could start learning it myself? Thanks!

Ya had two semesters of it in my weed out engineering course. fun stuff.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 12:14:37 AM
I'd say your best bet is to teach yourself some basic logic, loops, flowcharting, vectors, stuff like that which is used in every language. Worry about the miserable syntax later.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 7:50:43 PM

Matlab is a pretty easy language to learn since its considered a high-level programming language. If you've had any experience programming, it shouldn't be a problem.

Matlab is basically like a super-calculator. If you've used a Ti-89 in high school, matlab pretty much blows the TI-89 through the roof. It does a lot of matrix manipulations. You can upload excel sheets onto Matlab. Not sure if your familiar with calculus yet, but you can integrate and do derivatives in it. Solve basic algebra problems with it, and so forth.

If your interested you can download GUN Octave. Its very similar program and its free.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2012 11:19:59 PM
At 12/3/2012 7:50:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Matlab is a pretty easy language to learn since its considered a high-level programming language. If you've had any experience programming, it shouldn't be a problem.

Matlab is basically like a super-calculator. If you've used a Ti-89 in high school, matlab pretty much blows the TI-89 through the roof. It does a lot of matrix manipulations. You can upload excel sheets onto Matlab. Not sure if your familiar with calculus yet, but you can integrate and do derivatives in it. Solve basic algebra problems with it, and so forth.

If your interested you can download GUN Octave. Its very similar program and its free.

Then I did see the right thing. I thought it was wrong because it just seemed like a super calculator. I started calc the week before Thanksgiving, but I have a small understanding of derivatives and integrals from newtonian mechanics.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 12:52:49 PM
Is there anyone that's familiar with it and could explain some of the basics of it

It is more a scripting language than a programming language, but it has some of the basic features of a programming language plus a lot of built in math and engineering functions.

or post a link to somewhere I could start learning it myself? Thanks!

www.google.com
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 12:29:40 AM

You might be happier using the NumPy library with Python - all free.

http://numpy.scipy.org...
http://www.scipy.org...

Though I think industry prefers Matlab, ie, it's more lucrative to learn. However, NumPy is a respected and powerful library.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it