Jump to topic:

TimeLine of the Distant Future

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:31:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This chart is awesome... It's so dismal for the vast majority of it, but seems to have a happy ending...

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:04:55 AM
I find nothing more humbling than thinking about stars and time.

We are so insignificant. And that makes me feel good.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:32:10 AM
At 12/18/2012 3:19:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I clicked on a link on that page.

It's a short page. But it's a mindfuck.

I read about that a couple years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com...

Basically, our high level of organization in such a high entropy environment means its more likely that we are actually floating brains in space (or some such low-demand consciousness) than our current incarnations. I'd assume expected evolutionary paths would actually make such an existence less likely (read as less subject to entropic interference) but I haven't read anything in that regard.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:41:32 AM
At 12/18/2012 3:32:10 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/18/2012 3:19:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I clicked on a link on that page.

It's a short page. But it's a mindfuck.

I read about that a couple years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com...

Basically, our high level of organization in such a high entropy environment means its more likely that we are actually floating brains in space (or some such low-demand consciousness) than our current incarnations. I'd assume expected evolutionary paths would actually make such an existence less likely (read as less subject to entropic interference) but I haven't read anything in that regard.

We only think of our brains in the form of how we know them, biologically. If it's true that you are Boltzmann brain, you would have no idea what a real brain is physically like.

This does raise a paradox though. Out of all the possible imaginary worlds we could create, it is unlikely that it happens to be one that entails the same observable data that would result in bringing about a Boltzmann brain in the first place. Although it would be inevitable that some would.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 4:09:04 AM
I want to curl up in a ball and cry now.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 11:06:06 AM
That is a neat chart. One thing for certain is that there is plenty time to enjoy ones self before the Great Decay. Of course that assumes we all survive 12/21/2012. :)
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 4:43:01 PM
According to Michio, if one could travel a googolplex yards, one will come across a random arrangement of matter equal in complexity to our own.

I'm not certain a googolplex exists in this universe... perhaps if you counted every possible arrangement of every particle (multiplied through every instant of time), that would be the highest number attainable. I mean, at numbers that unimaginably high, even using planck units as opposed to parsecs doesn't make much of a difference in terms of units. There's only about a hundred orders of magnitude (that I'm aware of) that really mean anything to us right now.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 7:19:23 PM
We were supposed to be living on the moon in 1999. It, like all other future predictions, are not worth the paper they are written on.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 8:28:36 AM
At 12/18/2012 7:19:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
We were supposed to be living on the moon in 1999. It, like all other future predictions, are not worth the paper they are written on.

The technological predictions, I would agree, it is very difficult to predict technological and sociogical changes.

The scientific ones, however, I have more faith in. We can predict a number of things in the universe based on it's current state. Not necessarily accurately, as can be seen by the timeline having upper and lower limits for given events.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 11:23:11 PM
Predicting the future of mankind versus predicting when a rock will pass another rock in space... two different things.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 3:28:09 PM
I'm particularly interested in the table at the bottom, the Technology and Culture one.

Damn. 10,000 years from now is when likely humanity will go extinct? Reading about the Doomsday argument...95% chance, apparently. Hmm.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 3:54:41 PM
At 12/18/2012 4:43:01 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
According to Michio, if one could travel a googolplex yards, one will come across a random arrangement of matter equal in complexity to our own.

I'm not certain a googolplex exists in this universe... perhaps if you counted every possible arrangement of every particle (multiplied through every instant of time), that would be the highest number attainable. I mean, at numbers that unimaginably high, even using planck units as opposed to parsecs doesn't make much of a difference in terms of units. There's only about a hundred orders of magnitude (that I'm aware of) that really mean anything to us right now.

In our universe, the number of plank's volumes is 10^183, far less than the googolplex.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac