Jump to topic:

do magnets lose energy in space?

yoman82
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 10:54:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've recently heard an idea that all natural magnets on earth are really powered by earth's magnetic field...Meaning as magnets leave earths magnetic field they would lose energy. When confronted about the magnets in the mars rover he stated they would be powered by the martian magnetic field..... What evidence is there to prove him wrong?
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 1:17:27 PM
What proves him wrong is just a basic understanding of magnetism. A natural magnet (and by this I assume you mean permanent magnet) is made by aligning the magnetic moment of the underlying structure (atoms or crystalline structure) in a way that it will stay permanently aligned.

What part of this changes in space?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 1:59:11 PM
At 12/20/2012 10:54:30 AM, yoman82 wrote:
I've recently heard an idea that all natural magnets on earth are really powered by earth's magnetic field...Meaning as magnets leave earths magnetic field they would lose energy. When confronted about the magnets in the mars rover he stated they would be powered by the martian magnetic field..... What evidence is there to prove him wrong?

Physics. Permanent magnets work because atoms are aligned in same orientation. Since made of crystalline structure they don't loose their orientation of the atoms, thus they don't loose their magnetic field.

Also eluding to this is the fact that when permanent magnets are created they have to be subjected to a much stronger magnetic field than the earth's to align the atoms of the material.

Conclusion the earth does not give permanent magnets "its power". Its matter and arrangement of its matter does.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 7:15:03 PM
Isn't Earth's magnetic field projected into space anyway?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 7:50:59 PM
I don't think Mars has a magnetic field.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 2:00:13 AM
At 12/20/2012 7:50:59 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Oddly enough, we are still trying to figure that one out. Basically, it has nothing like that of Earth. The way the solar wind passes it suggests that it has some kind of magnetic field, but none has been detected and if there is one, we know that it is no greater that 1/1000 that of Earth. Though the current theory is that Mars once had a magnetic field (before the core froze over) and it left some magnetic rock that still has a minimal effect on the wind.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 2:14:34 PM
At 12/21/2012 2:00:13 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Oddly enough, we are still trying to figure that one out. Basically, it has nothing like that of Earth. The way the solar wind passes it suggests that it has some kind of magnetic field, but none has been detected and if there is one, we know that it is no greater that 1/1000 that of Earth. Though the current theory is that Mars once had a magnetic field (before the core froze over) and it left some magnetic rock that still has a minimal effect on the wind.

But no magnetic field in the traditional sense, that is molten iron core projecting a magnetic field.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 7:04:45 PM
At 12/21/2012 2:14:34 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 12/21/2012 2:00:13 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

But no magnetic field in the traditional sense, that is molten iron core projecting a magnetic field.

Correct (though the Earth's magnetic field is actually not "traditional").
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 9:29:02 PM
At 12/20/2012 7:17:49 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/20/2012 7:15:03 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Isn't Earth's magnetic field projected into space anyway?

yes.

That's what I thought... I mean obviously a compass works so there's something there but it's miniscule compared to what is out beyond the atmosphere.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.