Jump to topic:

Global Warming

quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 3:52:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I can't really seem to find a straight answer regarding this issue. For along time, I thought that Global Warming was real, but whether or not Humans contributed to it was up for dispute and that perhaps the majority was due to factors such as nature or caused by solar activity.

But now I see that there's plenty of sources saying this

http://www.skepticalscience.com...

I'm not well versed in the global warming discussion, and I'm not going to pretend as though I know what I'm talking about, but can people who don't believe global warming is man made give me any explanation as to how it isn't, or that the effects are negligible?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 12:40:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
As far as I know, nearly everyone agrees that global temperatures increased sharply from about 1980 to 1997, and have remained about constant from 1997 to the present. Global warming crisis was in full swing by 2000, when predictions were that rapid warming would continue due to CO2, which in fact has continued to increase. The problem for alarmists is to explain why it stopped.

Skeptics claim climate prediction is an unsolved problem. It seems that large climate cycles are not in the models. The cause of cycles like the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, a 60-70 year cycle, is unknown. Another unmodeled effect is climate variation with cosmic rays. Cosmic rays affect cloud formation, and only a 3% variation in cloud cover would account for observed climate change.

That's the top level. The details are complicated. You might want to read some of the DDO debates on the subject.