Jump to topic:

Help With Gear Specs Please.

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 9:41:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I need to make a gearing system. The center points are 3.56" apart and have a 4.33:1 gear ratio.

I need to know the specs for the pitches, teeth count, gear size and whatever other information you can give.

Thanks in advance.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 12:42:24 AM
Jesus H. It's sad that I came into the thread thinking, "why did he post this in the science forum? This is the wrong forum to discuss video game armor."

Anyway, best of luck with your project :P
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 8:07:02 PM
At 1/19/2013 9:41:12 AM, pozessed wrote:
I need to make a gearing system. The center points are 3.56" apart and have a 4.33:1 gear ratio.

I need to know the specs for the pitches, teeth count, gear size and whatever other information you can give.

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you you need 42 or 44 teeth on a big gear and ten teeth on a small gear.The 42 or 43 tooth gear will be 4 times larger than the ten tooth gear. I would use an auto cad program and draw two circles of equal size. Pie one circle until you have 42 or 44 equal points around it's circumference then do the same for the other circle but pie it to get 10 equal points around it's circumference.

Now make two points 3.65" apart and place one gear centered on on point and the other on the other point. Re size the ten tooth gear until it is approximately the the same distance away from the height of the teeth to be cut in both gears. Make note of the diameters of each.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 8:15:32 PM
At 1/20/2013 8:07:02 PM, sadolite wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you you need 42 or 44 teeth on a big gear and ten teeth on a small gear.The 42 or 43 tooth gear will be 4 times larger than the ten tooth gear. I would use an auto cad program and draw two circles of equal size. Pie one circle until you have 42 or 44 equal points around it's circumference then do the same for the other circle but pie it to get 10 equal points around it's circumference.

Now make two points 3.65" apart and place one gear centered on on point and the other on the other point. Re size the ten tooth gear until it is approximately the the same distance away from the height of the teeth to be cut in both gears. Make note of the diameters of each.

One more thing after you have done this, draw the actual shape of the teeth on both gears and resize again so as to make the gears mesh with the desired clearence both gear to gear and tooth to tooth.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 8:24:05 PM
At 1/20/2013 8:15:32 PM, sadolite wrote:

Thanks in advance.

One more thing after you have done this, draw the actual shape of the teeth on both gears and re size again so as to make the gears mesh with the desired clearance both gear to gear and tooth to tooth.

You do not need "gear pitch" if this is going to be a "low speed, low load" set up. The only reason this is done is to increase strength and extend gear life in high speed or high load situations.

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 7:44:40 AM
At 1/20/2013 8:24:05 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/20/2013 8:15:32 PM, sadolite wrote:

Thanks in advance.

One more thing after you have done this, draw the actual shape of the teeth on both gears and re size again so as to make the gears mesh with the desired clearance both gear to gear and tooth to tooth.

You do not need "gear pitch" if this is going to be a "low speed, low load" set up. The only reason this is done is to increase strength and extend gear life in high speed or high load situations.

Thank you very much. That is all very helpful and I appreciate it.
Did you answer this question in Y answers as well or did someone copy and paste your posts as the answer?
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 11:18:17 AM

Thanks in advance.

Just buy one - there are countless firms/suppliers that sell a host of off-the-shelf gearboxes and stuff - I used to make robots many years back and had all kinds of catalogs and stuff.

Harry.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 11:20:10 AM

Thanks in advance.

e.g.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com...
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 6:45:41 AM
At 1/22/2013 11:20:10 AM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Thanks in advance.

e.g.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com...

Thank you. I have been searching for a site like this. This was very helpful as well.