Jump to topic:

Alternative Propositions to Evolution

The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 4:46:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been wondering for awhile now if there are any strong theories or propositions other than Evolution, as all I ever see are arguments between Intelligent Design, Creationism, and Evolution. Is anyone familiar enough with alternative ideas that they may name and explain them?
The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 4:55:13 PM
Ha ha.

I'm serious though, are there any other serious theories or propositions that have intellectual merit, or is Evolution the only thing out there?
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 4:59:18 PM
At 2/21/2013 4:53:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I personally like "a magician did it".

That was really friggin funny :)
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 5:02:47 PM
At 2/21/2013 4:55:13 PM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
Ha ha.

I'm serious though, are there any other serious theories or propositions that have intellectual merit, or is Evolution the only thing out there?

There is no scientific alternative if that is what you're asking. Although there is some disagreement between evolutionary models of morphological gradualism and punctuated equilibrium.

Also there are numerous different types of creationism (See here: http://en.wikipedia.org...).
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 5:06:37 PM
Ha ha.

There's Lamarckism and stuff. I don't know much about it, as always.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 5:07:22 PM
At 2/21/2013 5:06:37 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Ha ha.

Of course, I don't think it has any scientific support, but it's an alternative scientific theory.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 5:24:37 PM
At 2/21/2013 5:02:47 PM, Polaris wrote:
Ha ha.

There is no scientific alternative if that is what you're asking. Although there is some disagreement between evolutionary models of morphological gradualism and punctuated equilibrium.

Also there are numerous different types of creationism (See here: http://en.wikipedia.org...).

Yeah, I think the lone term "evolution" gives a false sense of security. There is still so much debate within it haha
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 9:15:58 PM
At 2/21/2013 5:02:47 PM, Polaris wrote:
Ha ha.

Gradualism and Punc Eek are not mutually exclusive. The "argument" is over which is more dominant a force when it comes to driving evolution. You can take a large population growing under gradualism and, using massive genetic drift, create what the fossil record reflects as "punctuated equilibrium."

Example: http://evolution.berkeley.edu...=
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 9:19:58 PM
Personally, I think Punk Eek may have more of an edge on gradualism when it comes to increased variation. For instance, gradualism can lead to a stasis species, while each Punk Eek cycle would create noticeable differences.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 11:21:16 AM
At 2/21/2013 10:18:56 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
There is no alternative to natural selection. You can believe in panspermia though.

Panspermia would be an alternative to Abiogenesis, not evolution.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:13:14 PM
At 2/21/2013 5:06:37 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Ha ha.

I'm far, far from knowledgable on this stuff but I listened to a Radiolab episode a while back where a biologist was arguing that Lamarckian ideas were making a come back: http://www.radiolab.org...

The idea was that newly discovered mechanisms can effect epigenetic (heritable changes caused by something other than the underlying DNA sequence) alterations. That's not an alternative to evolution, but it has some implications for the mechanisms it works by.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 2:39:53 PM
There is no alternative to natural selection. You can believe in panspermia though.

Not quite correct.

Evolution in its most general form is DIFFERENTIAL selection and variation.

It is possible that things like genetic drift, neutral mutation, or even epigenetics play a substantial role in differential selection alongside natural selection.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 2:41:45 PM
At 2/22/2013 2:39:53 PM, Wnope wrote:

Not quite correct.

It is possible that things like genetic drift, neutral mutation, or even epigenetics play a substantial role in differential selection alongside natural selection.

Hell, I'll give Margulis her due and say symbiosis may even be a noticeable factor.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 2:43:56 PM

Not quite correct.

Sorry, differential reproduction, not selection.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:03:51 PM

Not quite correct.

If what you're saying is that Natural Selection isn't the only mechanism of evolution, then you are absolutely correct.

Natural Selection
Artificial Selection
Gene Flow
Genetic Drift
Genetic Hitch-Hiking
Mutation Bias