Total Posts:79|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Porn Addiction Science

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 3:32:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This lays out the arguments I use all the time against pornography in an easily-digestible info sesh.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 3:58:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, the fact that porn affects people's tastes and desires does not stop at the person who views the porn. Many sexual tastes and desires are cultural now due to pornography, whether individuals watch porn or not.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:01:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 3:57:41 PM, Wnope wrote:
So....you know this is exactly the same mechanism behind "addictive" masturbation.

Isn't this the same mechanism behind any addictive thing?

Say.... DDO? :)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:03:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 4:01:45 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/22/2013 3:57:41 PM, Wnope wrote:
So....you know this is exactly the same mechanism behind "addictive" masturbation.

Isn't this the same mechanism behind any addictive thing?

Say.... DDO? :)

Basically.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:40:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Of course it's addictive.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:06:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 4:03:02 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 2/22/2013 4:01:45 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/22/2013 3:57:41 PM, Wnope wrote:
So....you know this is exactly the same mechanism behind "addictive" masturbation.

Isn't this the same mechanism behind any addictive thing?

Say.... DDO? :)

Basically.

"Should you really blame gambling? Anything can be potentially addicting. What matters is who gambles.

The same people who become addicted to gambling could also get addicted to anything else that even remotely gives out rewards. The fact of the matter is that gambling is a scapegoat. What we should be doing is giving help for those with addictive personalities, not demonizing gambling
-millions of people enjoy it without becoming addicted-."
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:16:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Porn can become addicting in the sense that one can develop a psychological addiction to it. One can develop a psychological addiction to virtually anything, and is defined by as any compulsive behavior that interferes with the well-being of a person's life. Often times socially stigmatized behavior are overtly defined as "addicting" when there is no proven greater propensity for addiction than virtually any other medium.

This is not to be confused with a chemical addiction that is marked by physiological withdrawals in response to the cessation of the presence of some chemical substance.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 12:25:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm in the camp that there are only people with addictive mentalities, gambling, booze, painkillers, hard drugs, cigarettes, caffeine all of it.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 12:28:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ya I don't buy it at all.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 12:33:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Like was said before the arguments could be made against literally everything. Food, drugs, sex, athletics games whatever. It's the addiction that's the problem, not the porn.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 1:26:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"It can cause lifelong neuroplastic change in the brain."

So can, literally, ANYTHING. That's pretty much the basis of neuroplasticity.

I wish people would stop using big words in deceptive ways. And I wish people would stop using addiction as a buzzword. Love is an addiction to another person. Hiking can be an addiction. Gardening can be an addiction. READING can be an addiction. An addiction, when it is defined broadly enough to include pornography, refers to anything that we would consider an interest. Anything which we like to do, and which we become unhappy when we do not do for a long time. Under this definition, homesickness is withdrawal. It's nonsense. Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 2:10:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 3:58:12 PM, Oryus wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, the fact that porn affects people's tastes and desires does not stop at the person who views the porn. Many sexual tastes and desires are cultural now due to pornography, whether individuals watch porn or not.

Am I the only one who wants to talk about what was said in the video which wasn't obviously misleading and dubious information? :(
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 2:12:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 1:26:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
"It can cause lifelong neuroplastic change in the brain."

So can, literally, ANYTHING. That's pretty much the basis of neuroplasticity.

I wish people would stop using big words in deceptive ways. And I wish people would stop using addiction as a buzzword. Love is an addiction to another person. Hiking can be an addiction. Gardening can be an addiction. READING can be an addiction. An addiction, when it is defined broadly enough to include pornography, refers to anything that we would consider an interest. Anything which we like to do, and which we become unhappy when we do not do for a long time. Under this definition, homesickness is withdrawal. It's nonsense. Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?

"Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?"

I think the worst victim is the word "Love"; it now applies to virtually anything. We are supposed to love every human, which makes the term a meaningless expression. Same goes for "special"; if we are all special, no one is. People need to understand that a term is only meaningful if it is not applicable to some.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 2:29:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 2:12:03 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 2/23/2013 1:26:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
"It can cause lifelong neuroplastic change in the brain."

So can, literally, ANYTHING. That's pretty much the basis of neuroplasticity.

I wish people would stop using big words in deceptive ways. And I wish people would stop using addiction as a buzzword. Love is an addiction to another person. Hiking can be an addiction. Gardening can be an addiction. READING can be an addiction. An addiction, when it is defined broadly enough to include pornography, refers to anything that we would consider an interest. Anything which we like to do, and which we become unhappy when we do not do for a long time. Under this definition, homesickness is withdrawal. It's nonsense. Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?

"Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?"

I think the worst victim is the word "Love"; it now applies to virtually anything. We are supposed to love every human, which makes the term a meaningless expression. Same goes for "special"; if we are all special, no one is. People need to understand that a term is only meaningful if it is not applicable to some.

You know (and this is a bit derailing but I'll bring it back on point...) I tend to not care about the word "love" meaning lots of different things. Even if we kept it strict, it would still mean lots of different things. How you love your child is not how you love your spouse is not how you love your parent is not how you love yourself. Those are all appropriate uses of the word. Perhaps English itself is the problem for having one word describe so many different emotions? You might say, "I love chocolate cake" instead of "I really like chocolate cake" because "really like" doesn't explain properly your absurd desire for chocolate cake. Within the context, it's plain to see what the word means. On the other hand, if you are dating someone and you say for the first time, "I love you," it's difficult to play that one off as "really like" because of the context- clearly, it has not become meaningless.

It's all about the context, yo. Using it in different contexts doesn't make it meaningless.

I'd even argue that the same goes for addiction. By "addiction" you could mean psychological and/or physiological addiction. But if you say, "I'm addicted to cake," it's obvious that a psychological addiction is implied. If you say, "I'm addicted to heroin," no person in their right mind would assume you mean that you are simply extremely fond of heroin.

But then with this video, that's when it gets stickier because they are basically making an argument against pornography by saying that it is.... how most things are: addictive (psychologically). However, within the context, and with sharp people paying attention(i.e. DDO members), the mistake was noted almost immediately and reiterated over and over again.

The biggest problem that comes from the different meanings of one word would be in the case of this video- making an argument, especially one which could be political, by equivocating and essentially spouting rhetoric.... which is ironic because this video is supposed to be all science-ey.... guess they have to make it interesting somehow.... But is the word completely meaningless because it can also be used rhetorically? Nah- especially not for attentive readers/listeners who pay attention to context and subtext.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
The_Chaos_Heart
Posts: 404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 4:28:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 1:26:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
"It can cause lifelong neuroplastic change in the brain."

So can, literally, ANYTHING. That's pretty much the basis of neuroplasticity.

I wish people would stop using big words in deceptive ways. And I wish people would stop using addiction as a buzzword. Love is an addiction to another person. Hiking can be an addiction. Gardening can be an addiction. READING can be an addiction. An addiction, when it is defined broadly enough to include pornography, refers to anything that we would consider an interest. Anything which we like to do, and which we become unhappy when we do not do for a long time. Under this definition, homesickness is withdrawal. It's nonsense. Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?

I agree completely, especially with that last sentence.

I've basically all but stopped dealing with words, as they are constantly changing and what people are trying to use them for is just confusing and pointless. I just jump straight to the point usually: Explain how X is bad or harmful.

In the case of porn, you want to label it an addiction? Fine.

Now explain why this is a bad thing. Because that's all that matters.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 4:53:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 2:12:03 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 2/23/2013 1:26:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
"It can cause lifelong neuroplastic change in the brain."

So can, literally, ANYTHING. That's pretty much the basis of neuroplasticity.

I wish people would stop using big words in deceptive ways. And I wish people would stop using addiction as a buzzword. Love is an addiction to another person. Hiking can be an addiction. Gardening can be an addiction. READING can be an addiction. An addiction, when it is defined broadly enough to include pornography, refers to anything that we would consider an interest. Anything which we like to do, and which we become unhappy when we do not do for a long time. Under this definition, homesickness is withdrawal. It's nonsense. Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?

"Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?"

I think the worst victim is the word "Love"; it now applies to virtually anything. We are supposed to love every human, which makes the term a meaningless expression. Same goes for "special"; if we are all special, no one is. People need to understand that a term is only meaningful if it is not applicable to some.

My pet peeve is 'art'. I hate it when people philosophically reflect that 'everything is art'. Then the term is meaningless, due to a badly crafted definition, and using it in that manner isn't profound, it's silly.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 5:04:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
You know (and this is a bit derailing but I'll bring it back on point...) I tend to not care about the word "love" meaning lots of different things. Even if we kept it strict, it would still mean lots of different things. How you love your child is not how you love your spouse is not how you love your parent is not how you love yourself. Those are all appropriate uses of the word. Perhaps English itself is the problem for having one word describe so many different emotions? You might say, "I love chocolate cake" instead of "I really like chocolate cake" because "really like" doesn't explain properly your absurd desire for chocolate cake. Within the context, it's plain to see what the word means. On the other hand, if you are dating someone and you say for the first time, "I love you," it's difficult to play that one off as "really like" because of the context- clearly, it has not become meaningless.

It's all about the context, yo. Using it in different contexts doesn't make it meaningless.

I'd even argue that the same goes for addiction. By "addiction" you could mean psychological and/or physiological addiction. But if you say, "I'm addicted to cake," it's obvious that a psychological addiction is implied. If you say, "I'm addicted to heroin," no person in their right mind would assume you mean that you are simply extremely fond of heroin.

But then with this video, that's when it gets stickier because they are basically making an argument against pornography by saying that it is.... how most things are: addictive (psychologically). However, within the context, and with sharp people paying attention(i.e. DDO members), the mistake was noted almost immediately and reiterated over and over again.

The biggest problem that comes from the different meanings of one word would be in the case of this video- making an argument, especially one which could be political, by equivocating and essentially spouting rhetoric.... which is ironic because this video is supposed to be all science-ey.... guess they have to make it interesting somehow.... But is the word completely meaningless because it can also be used rhetorically? Nah- especially not for attentive readers/listeners who pay attention to context and subtext.

I think that calling a 'psychological addiction' an addiction is dishonest, because we have words for it (mostly terms from behavioral psychology) which are not loaded with negative connotations, and because its prolific use dilutes the impact of the word when it is used to refer to real (physical) addiction. It's pop-culture phrasing which, while not being meaningless per se, still in a way destroys the meaning of the original term.

As for love, I think that our one word is too generalized. The Greeks are the most famous example of a culture which had many different terms for love: http://en.wikipedia.org...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 5:08:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 4:28:47 PM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
At 2/23/2013 1:26:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
"It can cause lifelong neuroplastic change in the brain."

So can, literally, ANYTHING. That's pretty much the basis of neuroplasticity.

I wish people would stop using big words in deceptive ways. And I wish people would stop using addiction as a buzzword. Love is an addiction to another person. Hiking can be an addiction. Gardening can be an addiction. READING can be an addiction. An addiction, when it is defined broadly enough to include pornography, refers to anything that we would consider an interest. Anything which we like to do, and which we become unhappy when we do not do for a long time. Under this definition, homesickness is withdrawal. It's nonsense. Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?

I agree completely, especially with that last sentence.

I've basically all but stopped dealing with words, as they are constantly changing and what people are trying to use them for is just confusing and pointless. I just jump straight to the point usually: Explain how X is bad or harmful.

In the case of porn, you want to label it an addiction? Fine.

Now explain why this is a bad thing. Because that's all that matters.


This. The whole reason that they use the word 'addiction' is because they hope that it triggers an automatic association with a vague sense of malignity. That our brains will translate 'porn is psychologically addictive' to 'porn bad'.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 5:14:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 5:04:13 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
You know (and this is a bit derailing but I'll bring it back on point...) I tend to not care about the word "love" meaning lots of different things. Even if we kept it strict, it would still mean lots of different things. How you love your child is not how you love your spouse is not how you love your parent is not how you love yourself. Those are all appropriate uses of the word. Perhaps English itself is the problem for having one word describe so many different emotions? You might say, "I love chocolate cake" instead of "I really like chocolate cake" because "really like" doesn't explain properly your absurd desire for chocolate cake. Within the context, it's plain to see what the word means. On the other hand, if you are dating someone and you say for the first time, "I love you," it's difficult to play that one off as "really like" because of the context- clearly, it has not become meaningless.

It's all about the context, yo. Using it in different contexts doesn't make it meaningless.

I'd even argue that the same goes for addiction. By "addiction" you could mean psychological and/or physiological addiction. But if you say, "I'm addicted to cake," it's obvious that a psychological addiction is implied. If you say, "I'm addicted to heroin," no person in their right mind would assume you mean that you are simply extremely fond of heroin.

But then with this video, that's when it gets stickier because they are basically making an argument against pornography by saying that it is.... how most things are: addictive (psychologically). However, within the context, and with sharp people paying attention(i.e. DDO members), the mistake was noted almost immediately and reiterated over and over again.

The biggest problem that comes from the different meanings of one word would be in the case of this video- making an argument, especially one which could be political, by equivocating and essentially spouting rhetoric.... which is ironic because this video is supposed to be all science-ey.... guess they have to make it interesting somehow.... But is the word completely meaningless because it can also be used rhetorically? Nah- especially not for attentive readers/listeners who pay attention to context and subtext.

I think that calling a 'psychological addiction' an addiction is dishonest, because we have words for it (mostly terms from behavioral psychology) which are not loaded with negative connotations, and because its prolific use dilutes the impact of the word when it is used to refer to real (physical) addiction. It's pop-culture phrasing which, while not being meaningless per se, still in a way destroys the meaning of the original term.

I still don't think it destroys the meaning of the original term. When you use it in it's truest context, it still carries the same weight.

Out of curiosity, what are the words you would prefer to use for psychological addiction rather than addiction? I often use the words "fixation" or "obsession."

As for love, I think that our one word is too generalized. The Greeks are the most famous example of a culture which had many different terms for love: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Agreed. We'd do well to take note of it. I truly wish we had more words for it. For something so important, you'd think we would be more thoughtful in describing it.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 5:27:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 5:14:53 PM, Oryus wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are the words you would prefer to use for psychological addiction rather than addiction? I often use the words "fixation" or "obsession."

A naturally reinforced conditioned behavior.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 5:42:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 5:27:58 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/23/2013 5:14:53 PM, Oryus wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are the words you would prefer to use for psychological addiction rather than addiction? I often use the words "fixation" or "obsession."

A naturally reinforced conditioned behavior.

haha sounds like a fancy way of saying "addiction"

Need more words.... sigh...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 8:05:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 5:08:26 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/23/2013 4:28:47 PM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
At 2/23/2013 1:26:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
"It can cause lifelong neuroplastic change in the brain."

So can, literally, ANYTHING. That's pretty much the basis of neuroplasticity.

I wish people would stop using big words in deceptive ways. And I wish people would stop using addiction as a buzzword. Love is an addiction to another person. Hiking can be an addiction. Gardening can be an addiction. READING can be an addiction. An addiction, when it is defined broadly enough to include pornography, refers to anything that we would consider an interest. Anything which we like to do, and which we become unhappy when we do not do for a long time. Under this definition, homesickness is withdrawal. It's nonsense. Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?

I agree completely, especially with that last sentence.

I've basically all but stopped dealing with words, as they are constantly changing and what people are trying to use them for is just confusing and pointless. I just jump straight to the point usually: Explain how X is bad or harmful.

In the case of porn, you want to label it an addiction? Fine.

Now explain why this is a bad thing. Because that's all that matters.


This. The whole reason that they use the word 'addiction' is because they hope that it triggers an automatic association with a vague sense of malignity. That our brains will translate 'porn is psychologically addictive' to 'porn bad'.

+1
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:48:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 2:29:28 PM, Oryus wrote:
You might say, "I love chocolate cake" instead of "I really like chocolate cake"

You have no idea how grateful I am you said that. I've been trying to figure out a definition for 'love' used in that way for almost a week now. All I ever got was nonsense.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 11:24:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/23/2013 8:05:14 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/23/2013 5:08:26 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/23/2013 4:28:47 PM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
At 2/23/2013 1:26:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
"It can cause lifelong neuroplastic change in the brain."

So can, literally, ANYTHING. That's pretty much the basis of neuroplasticity.

I wish people would stop using big words in deceptive ways. And I wish people would stop using addiction as a buzzword. Love is an addiction to another person. Hiking can be an addiction. Gardening can be an addiction. READING can be an addiction. An addiction, when it is defined broadly enough to include pornography, refers to anything that we would consider an interest. Anything which we like to do, and which we become unhappy when we do not do for a long time. Under this definition, homesickness is withdrawal. It's nonsense. Why are people constantly trying to expand the definitions of words until they become meaningless?

I agree completely, especially with that last sentence.

I've basically all but stopped dealing with words, as they are constantly changing and what people are trying to use them for is just confusing and pointless. I just jump straight to the point usually: Explain how X is bad or harmful.

In the case of porn, you want to label it an addiction? Fine.

Now explain why this is a bad thing. Because that's all that matters.


This. The whole reason that they use the word 'addiction' is because they hope that it triggers an automatic association with a vague sense of malignity. That our brains will translate 'porn is psychologically addictive' to 'porn bad'.

+1

WSA sees porn as something that people (specifically guys) watch at the expense of having sex, such that the more porn you watch the less actual sex you will have and vise versa. He values sex, and because porn is at the expense of sex, porn must be fought. That porn should be regulated if not outrightly banned because of its detrimental effect is, oddly enough, probably the only thing that WSA and such noted GOP presidential candidates as Rick Santorum agree on -but for significantly different reasons.

The claim that porn is addictive does carry moral gravity, but even assuming the truth of the claim (and I'm willing to concede that there probably are some negative -albeit overstated- implications of ubiquitous pornographic exposure), porn is no more than the tip of the iceberg. Everything we do is about sex, except sex itself, which is about power. Sex is in our music, it's in our advertisements, on our TV's and in our schools. Why? Sex sells... and it sells everything from cars, to cheese burgers to political candidates (Sarah Palin was a marketing ploy to sexually frustrated, straight middle aged white men, imo -lol). So, if there is a harm, the sociocultural permeation of sex is the greater problem, but pornography is an easier battle to fight -and that's the issue on which social science focuses. We ignore the fire in the house for the pot on the stove, but that's how social science tends to work as it were.

It is my view that the moralization of pornography is absurd, because there is nothing short of trampling the right of free speech that could be done to counter it. Moreover, because of the persistent insanity of sex-ed (only in the US and other 'religious' countries) and the way it's taught -or rather isn't- is in my opinion the reason why fewer are having sex and those who are aren't having safe sex. But that's my view...
Tsar of DDO
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:58:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
@YYW
I'm pretty sure that WSA isn't advocating a banning of porn.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 9:10:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 6:16:50 PM, Polaris wrote:
Porn can become addicting in the sense that one can develop a psychological addiction to it. One can develop a psychological addiction to virtually anything, and is defined by as any compulsive behavior that interferes with the well-being of a person's life. Often times socially stigmatized behavior are overtly defined as "addicting" when there is no proven greater propensity for addiction than virtually any other medium.

This is not to be confused with a chemical addiction that is marked by physiological withdrawals in response to the cessation of the presence of some chemical substance.

All addictions share the same basic reward circuitry and the same basic protein, DeltaFosB. Porn differs from most addictions in that it free, legal, and easily accessible. Cocaine is expensive, illegal, and difficult to access. http://www.yourbrainonporn.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 9:19:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/3/2013 9:10:51 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 2/22/2013 6:16:50 PM, Polaris wrote:
Porn can become addicting in the sense that one can develop a psychological addiction to it. One can develop a psychological addiction to virtually anything, and is defined by as any compulsive behavior that interferes with the well-being of a person's life. Often times socially stigmatized behavior are overtly defined as "addicting" when there is no proven greater propensity for addiction than virtually any other medium.

This is not to be confused with a chemical addiction that is marked by physiological withdrawals in response to the cessation of the presence of some chemical substance.

All addictions share the same basic reward circuitry and the same basic protein, DeltaFosB. Porn differs from most addictions in that it free, legal, and easily accessible. Cocaine is expensive, illegal, and difficult to access. http://www.yourbrainonporn.com...

I don't understand the purpose of your comparison. Is this to insist that Porn is better or worse than cocaine?
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 12:58:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/24/2013 11:24:48 PM, YYW wrote:
WSA sees porn as something that people (specifically guys) watch at the expense of having sex, such that the more porn you watch the less actual sex you will have and vise versa. He values sex, and because porn is at the expense of sex, porn must be fought. That porn should be regulated if not outrightly banned because of its detrimental effect is, oddly enough, probably the only thing that WSA and such noted GOP presidential candidates as Rick Santorum agree on -but for significantly different reasons.

Ha! Rick Santorum and I agree on the issue of porn! :D I think porn is bad for three main reasons: 1) Porn addiction decreases the amount of real sexy time, 2) It causes myriad physiological and psychological problems from copulatory impotence to depression, 3) It decreases the amount of enjoyment derived from simple pleasures in life.

At any rate, I'm not for banning it--doing so would be practically impossible anyway. I just want to persuade people to give it up for one month cold turkey (this includes not looking at women's goodies, not masturbating, and not reading anything erotic). Once you go through this month of hell, your brain will have rewired (rebooted) enough to allow you to enjoy life much fuller, become more socially active, and yes, have more sex.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 1:01:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/3/2013 9:19:05 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 3/3/2013 9:10:51 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 2/22/2013 6:16:50 PM, Polaris wrote:
Porn can become addicting in the sense that one can develop a psychological addiction to it. One can develop a psychological addiction to virtually anything, and is defined by as any compulsive behavior that interferes with the well-being of a person's life. Often times socially stigmatized behavior are overtly defined as "addicting" when there is no proven greater propensity for addiction than virtually any other medium.

This is not to be confused with a chemical addiction that is marked by physiological withdrawals in response to the cessation of the presence of some chemical substance.

All addictions share the same basic reward circuitry and the same basic protein, DeltaFosB. Porn differs from most addictions in that it free, legal, and easily accessible. Cocaine is expensive, illegal, and difficult to access. http://www.yourbrainonporn.com...

I don't understand the purpose of your comparison. Is this to insist that Porn is better or worse than cocaine?

The comparison is that all drugs share the same psychological reward circuitry. The contrast is that porn is free, legal, and easily accessible; whereas, activities like drug use and gambling are not free, are predominantly illegal, and difficult (at least more difficult than porn) to access.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.