Jump to topic:

Metric expansion

natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 3:17:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm not any kind of cosmologist, but I was thinking about the expansion of the universe and had a thought. maybe the universe is the three dimensional surface of a four dimensional sphere that is expanding. That would explain the centerlessness of the universe, and why we would look like we are in the center, because the center would be outside of the universe in the fourth dimension. And the formula for perimeter of a circle is 2piR, and the formula for the surface area of a sphere is 4piR^2. So if the pattern continues the surface area of a 4D sphere would be something like 8piR^3, which seems to resemble the expansion of the universe so far. (rapid expansion at the beginning, slow expansion for a period, then rapid expansion again.) It even could perhaps explain gravity and why it is so different from the other three fundamental forces, perhaps things with mass act like 'sails' to the expansive force and bulge slightly out of the universe, pulling spacetime with it.
Again, the extent of my research was skimming a Wikipedia article, so I wanted to know if anyone with real cosmological knowledge could say if this idea has any substance.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:54:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Actually, the most common theory among physicists is that our known expanding universe is made up of 11 dimensions, not 3.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord