Jump to topic:

Electricity and Magnetism Started Everything

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 6:10:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Both are needed to start the universe and to start evolution. They are both found in everything.
I also assume both of these forces would be needed to create gravity because without electricity and magnetism we would have no form of mass.
Why does it seem like these forces of energy do not get enough credit for our existence?
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 6:12:26 AM
I'm not saying we should recognize them as God(s). I am saying we should realize their godlike abilities though.
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 6:47:54 AM
At 3/8/2013 6:12:26 AM, pozessed wrote:
I'm not saying we should recognize them as God(s). I am saying we should realize their godlike abilities though.

I would say the electrostatic force was the primary force in the Universe, until the Higgs-Boson decided to perform a few magic tricks and made electricity and magnetism look like a cosmic day-laborer at the galactic Home Depot.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:36:43 AM
The strong and weak nuclear force are also important.

The Higg's field is not a force as I understand it because it is used to explain inertia. Forces cause acceleration where as inertia resists acceleration.

There is no evidence that there is a connection between gravity and electromagnetic forces except at high temperature when forces seem to unify.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 6:07:59 PM
I also assume both of these forces would be needed to create gravity because without electricity and magnetism we would have no form of mass.

In science you don't get to make unfounded assumptions, proving that statement true would rank you among the most important scientific figures in history.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 8:21:09 PM
At 3/8/2013 6:10:30 AM, pozessed wrote:
Both are needed to start the universe and to start evolution. They are both found in everything.
Why does it seem like these forces of energy do not get enough credit for our existence?

According to current theory, which is pretty well validated, there are four fundamental forces of nature, and without all four we would have no existence. Electricity and magnetism are unified into a single force called electromagnetism, that force acts between charged particles, and it is unrelated to gravity at normal energies and temperatures. All four are considered fundamental interactions, they are not dependent upon each other, and there is no model that shows electromagnetism "creates" gravity..

It's not accurate to say that electricity and magnetism started everything or that they "create" gravity. It is postulated that all four forces were unified into a single super force that separated out into the four primary forces at the very earliest moment of the Big Bang, and the electromagnetic and the weak forces have been shown to become unified at energies we can test. There is strong theoretical indications that the strong force can be unified, called Grand Unified Theories, the attempt to unify gravity with the other three is referred to as a Theory Of Everything (TOE), TOEs are highly speculative and can't be tested.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
morgan2252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 6:15:36 PM
I believe the term is "electro-magnetism."

Guys, there are four main forces that govern the universe: gravity, electro magnetism, weak nuclear, and strong nuclear.

The video should explain it. You don't have to watch the whole video, just skip to 5:30, or skip to the end of you want.