Jump to topic:

Eugenics

funnybrad333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2008 2:31:09 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Never mind, I fully and wholeheartedly condone the practice of eugenics.
If I didn't answer what you said, try bolding the important part.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2008 3:51:58 PM
Well there are a a few versions of it.

But generally it comes down to an action taken to improve the gene pool. Sometimes it has been used to force selective breeding, others use a form of it for 'family planning'. By 'family planning' I mean educating people on the many forms of birth control and genetic testing for potential birth defects.
funnybrad333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2008 4:01:42 PM
Yes, and I am a proponent of eugenics to the greatest degree, even if a holocaust or genocide is the consequences of said practice.
If I didn't answer what you said, try bolding the important part.
Dnick94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2008 4:12:12 PM
At 11/11/2008 4:01:42 PM, funnybrad333 wrote:
Yes, and I am a proponent of eugenics to the greatest degree, even if a holocaust or genocide is the consequences of said practice.

Holocaust and genocide sucks.
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them."
-Albert Einstein
Dnick94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2008 4:22:27 PM
At 11/11/2008 4:12:47 PM, funnybrad333 wrote:
Only for the losing side.

Fine; Hey kiddos, when you're racist toward a certain race, plan a massive genocide in the United States.
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them."
-Albert Einstein
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2008 8:44:38 AM
At 11/11/2008 4:22:27 PM, Dnick94 wrote:

Fine; Hey kiddos, when you're racist toward a certain race, plan a massive genocide in the United States.

I'm pretty sure brad was just trying to make a radical statement in order to get a rise out of you. This seems to be his role in this community.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2008 8:47:54 AM
At 11/11/2008 4:22:27 PM, Dnick94 wrote:

Plus, eugenics =/= genocide. Like I said, genetic testing can be very beneficial in reducing birth defects.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2008 3:31:38 PM
Genocide against the race of Defective Birth!

lol.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
JBeukema
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2009 10:06:37 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Eugenics is a science with the potential to bring great benefits to mankind. Like many sciences, however, it has been twisted by ruel and malicious men to serve horrible ends. If Hitler makes eugenics invalid, then mustard gas makes chemistry just as wicked, Hiroshima leads to a condemnation of nuclear power, the electric chair stands against electricity- then we have rocketry, gunpowder, and metallurgy.

We must judge a science for itself and what it can teach us, not by the ends to which Man might apply it
JBeukema
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2009 10:08:23 AM
Blake::
Well there are a a few versions of it.

But generally it comes down to an action taken to improve the gene pool. Sometimes it has been used to force selective breeding, others use a form of it for 'family planning'. By 'family planning' I mean educating people on the many forms of birth control and genetic testing for potential birth defects.

----

Not accurate. Eugenics simply studies heredity, genetics, and other factors contributing to human welfare. 'positive -' and 'negative- eugenics' were policies and ideologies, not fields within the science itself
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2009 5:18:59 PM
Eugenics:
the study of or belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population, esp. by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits (negative eugenics) or encouraging reproduction by persons presumed to have inheritable desirable traits (positive eugenics).
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Eugenics: It's definition, scope, and aims:
EUGENICS is the science which deals with all influences that improve the inborn qualities of a race; also with those that develop them to the utmost advantage.
http://www.galton.org...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2009 9:37:12 PM
I'm all for eugenics in the form of genetic modification. No Eugenics in the form of restriction, only in the granting of more freedoms.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2009 12:38:38 AM
At 4/8/2009 9:37:12 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I'm all for eugenics in the form of genetic modification. No Eugenics in the form of restriction, only in the granting of more freedoms.

http://www.ted.com...
blackbombchu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 3:51:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/11/2008 1:21:42 PM, JBlake wrote:
What are your thoughts on Eugenics?
I totally agree with eugenics of traits that people are suffering from not having. Once people start existing, they should have a really happy life. I think people without one of the highest desired traits like good vision alike in http://evolution-of-the-senses.blogspot.ca... and mobility like in http://evolution-of-the-senses.blogspot.ca... should be permitted to have to more than 2 kids. Technology has removed the evolutionary pressure and I fear that if the evolutionary pressure remains gone, people will eventually evolve to have as horrible vision as that of an ant. Please don't let our generation selfishly take away the good vision of future generations just because they're totally helplessly unable to fight for their rights. Almost all of you already didn't want more than 2 kids so what's the harm in the eugenics.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 7:22:55 PM

I find it interesting that it's usually the very people Eugenics would want to breed out of the population that are in support of Eugenics.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 4:09:33 AM
At 1/8/2015 7:22:55 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

I find it interesting that it's usually the very people Eugenics would want to breed out of the population that are in support of Eugenics.

It's quite common to play God over your circumstances; to be politics towards how it should have been. It is certainly interesting, though.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 7:18:57 PM

You don't need eugenics when genetic engineering is avalible. Genetic engineering is going to become necessary for the human race to survive.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:07:30 PM

The human mind is rife with many mental deficiencies, including, but definitely not limited to: the fact that the brain is chemically wired for addiction, cognitive dissonance, lack of emotional control, inherent herd mind, masochistic/self-destructive/suicidal behavior, etc. I think these are all a result of both nature and nurture, and if we want to eliminate most of the evil and insanity in the world I think you'd have to both manipulate the way people are raised (via childcare system) and human nature (via genetic modification). Humanity is insane and must either have its insanity mitigated or resign its right to exist.

Eugenics will be an integral part of the solution for this species-- you genetically modify a new generation of humans and sterilize all the rest so that they don't pollute the gene pool.

Some of my other proposals and posts on the human condition:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...