Jump to topic:

Black Holes

jdog2016
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 3:10:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
They are incredibly mysterious, huge, and insanely powerful. They can slow time, and even stop it. They even warp the space around them! Anyone have any thoughts on these monsters?
JDoG
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 3:34:38 PM
I prefer white holes. Black holes come with too much drama about childcare and the like that I just don't want to deal with them.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
jdog2016
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 4:04:04 PM
Yes they are super scary to think about. did you know black holes shoot out huge beams of plasma that can be seen from billions of light years away?
JDoG
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 4:13:31 PM
And the stars of the milky way, including our own, are just so many suds slowly circling one such bottomless drain.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 4:14:48 PM
At 3/19/2013 4:13:31 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
And the stars of the milky way, including our own, are just so many suds slowly circling one such bottomless drain.

http://robertlouishernandez.files.wordpress.com...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 4:28:50 PM
At 3/19/2013 4:14:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:

http://robertlouishernandez.files.wordpress.com...

I've always thought a la Richard Feynman along this line: we are special because, in us, matter mirrors itself in miniature. In the brain of somebody who understands a certain phenomenon exists a replica of it which, in a way, exists more vibrantly than the real thing. When you think about it, nothing really exists outside of the present moment, there is no past or future. Every predicative or analytical model which tackles past or present events exists only in the human mind. Thus it is only in the human mind that the full orbit of a planet, the life of a star, or the big bang exist.

"There are the rushing waves...
mountains of molecules,
each stupidly minding its own business...
trillions apart
...yet forming white surf in unison.

Ages on ages...
before any eyes could see...
year after year...
thunderously pounding the shore as now.
For whom, for what?
...on a dead planet
with no life to entertain.

Never at rest...
tortured by energy...
wasted prodigiously by the sun...
poured into space.
A mite makes the sea roar.

Deep in the sea,
all molecules repeat
the patterns of another
till complex new ones are formed.
They make others like themselves...
and a new dance starts.

Growing in size and complexity...
living things,
masses of atoms,
DNA, protein...
dancing a pattern ever more intricate.

Out of the cradle
onto dry land...
here it is standing...
atoms with consciousness
...matter with curiosity.

Stands at the sea...
wonders at wondering... I...
a universe of atoms...
an atom in the universe."
- Richard Feynman -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 4:29:10 PM
Black Holes ruining ur day? Got ya twisted? Out of touch with time? Weighing ya down? Sucking you into an abyss of molecular crushing depression? Well folks do I have a solution for you!

http://m.acehardware.com...

Now for a limited time, buy 1 get 1 half off, AND A FREE SET OF GINSU KNIVES!!
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 6:46:26 PM
At 3/19/2013 4:29:10 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
Black Holes ruining ur day? Got ya twisted? Out of touch with time? Weighing ya down? Sucking you into an abyss of molecular crushing depression? Well folks do I have a solution for you!

boooooo! I boo on that joke good sir
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:17:30 PM

That is fckin hilarious!
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:29:23 PM
At 3/19/2013 3:24:24 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
They terrify me sometimes.

It's probably the gravity of the situation.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:21:49 PM
At 3/19/2013 7:17:30 PM, muzebreak wrote:

That is fckin hilarious!

*bows*

You're welcome sir, I wish but to bring humor to serious conversations, after all, as a great man once said in a convo:

"'Whats does life mean? I dont get it?'

'Well to answer it succinctly, if ur not laughing, you obviously dont get it brah'"
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 9:36:07 AM
At 3/19/2013 8:21:49 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 3/19/2013 7:17:30 PM, muzebreak wrote:

That is fckin hilarious!

*bows*

You're welcome sir, I wish but to bring humor to serious conversations, after all, as a great man once said in a convo:

"'Whats does life mean? I dont get it?'

'Well to answer it succinctly, if ur not laughing, you obviously dont get it brah'"

Who said that?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 3:43:38 PM
At 3/20/2013 3:17:14 PM, jdog2016 wrote:
I think there is a black hole in my dryer; all my socks keep disappearing!!

Nah, those are gremlins
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 7:26:18 AM
At 3/19/2013 3:10:03 PM, jdog2016 wrote:
They are incredibly mysterious, huge, and insanely powerful. They can slow time, and even stop it. They even warp the space around them! Anyone have any thoughts on these monsters?

Black holes is what happens when you divide by zero.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 9:14:01 AM
At 3/21/2013 7:26:18 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

What happens when 2 black holes try to suck each other in?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
cangcorank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 9:55:00 PM
Sorry OOT

all technologists we have not been able to understand the universe today.

I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right? -Ellie Arroway "contact"(1997)
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 12:48:04 AM

False, black holes gravity doesn't suck anything in. Their mass and gravity is the same as large stars, just much denser, meaning if we replaced the sun right now with a black hole of the same mass, nothing would change. You can't be sucked into a black hole unless you go extremely close to it.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 3:01:05 AM

They don't actually slow time. The gravity they produce makes time seem slower in relation to other areas of space not as affected by such a large force.

The earth warps the space around it, just not to the extreme that a black hole does.

Black holes aren't that scary all by themselves. It's the binary systems where one star produces a black hole and uses the energy of its twin star to form a super death ray that freak me right the f*ck out.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 3:02:38 AM
At 3/21/2013 9:14:01 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
At 3/21/2013 7:26:18 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

What happens when 2 black holes try to suck each other in?

The larger one absorbs the smaller one. It's entirely unspectacular.

If two were of exactly the same size and in proximity to one another, that might cause some sh!t to go down, but it's never been observed.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 3:05:21 AM
At 3/26/2013 12:48:04 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

False, black holes gravity doesn't suck anything in. Their mass and gravity is the same as large stars, just much denser, meaning if we replaced the sun right now with a black hole of the same mass, nothing would change. You can't be sucked into a black hole unless you go extremely close to it.

I think the point was that we are starting to realize that all galaxies are formed by one "super black hole" and just like we orbit out sun, our solar system orbits this monster black hole.

There may even be some sort of super giant black hole at the center of the universe around which all galaxies are orbiting, or so it's been theorized.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 3:06:09 AM
At 3/26/2013 3:04:03 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/19/2013 3:24:24 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
They terrify me sometimes.

Racist.

That's only people who look down upon White Dwarfs.

rainbowmunkeyz2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 12:10:17 AM
No offense but from, "did you know black holes shoot out huge beams of plasma that can be seen from billions of light years away?" I assume that you are not very educated in the topic of black holes. Yes I did know that and yes I know you weren't talking to me. That isn't really what I wanted to say, what I wanted to say is this. I propose that Black Holes have a density of absolutely 0. I can see why many people would disagree with me. What is gravity? Gravity is the curvature of space-time within a given area most easily understood when shown with a 2-D analogy. It would show, lets say the Sun for example, weighing down on a piece of, say rubber considering it will bend easily under stress. Now when a star IMPLODES (yes it implodes first just like a nuclear bomb) matter falls into the center, the immense pressure build-up causes the core to burst shooting out incredible amounts of plasma and such. Because of the insane density of the core during the climax of this process the density (some say mass) it will make such a great depression in the 2-D surface that it tears a hole through it (it, meaning space-time). This is the reason I propose that the density of a Black Hole is zero. It is a.........Hole....Holes don't have density, but then you may wonder where all the matter went when it collapsed into the center of the Sun? This question involves the string theory (correct me if I'm wrong). The Black Hole produced must have an end otherwise Black Holes would merely be an idea, a theory, more or less. Could a Black Hole be like a door? The first Black Hole could either teleport you to the other end or teleport you very far away (a very small part of the wormhole theory). You can look up these things on google images to get a very good picture of what I am talking about. Scientists believe that black holes have an infinite density in the core and an insane density on the outside, this is what would create the inescapable gravitational force yes but Black Holes tear a HOLE through space hence their name...I'm sorry I've written to much. Again, look up wormhole on google images to better grasp this concept. They are like tunnels.
http://www.andersoninstitute.com...
This picture shows a good analogy of a wormhole, but PLEASE IGNORE THE PART WHERE IT SAYS YOU CAN TRAVEL THROUGH TIME, time exists only in the present.
http://www.kahl.net...
This picture shows the exotic matter around the Black Hole (event horizon).
I hope this wasn't boring and I hoped you learned from it. I am only 14 but I am one to be trusted and never to be underestimated especially in the field of science.