Jump to topic:

Universe A Bit Older Than We Thought

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2013 12:20:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
New images of the early universe bump the formally estimated 13.7 billion year old universe to 13.8 billion. In addition, the images further confirm the truth of the Big Bang theory.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2013 6:43:12 PM
At 3/23/2013 1:51:57 PM, Kinesis wrote:
That's right in line with genesis

Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 3:54:43 AM
At 3/23/2013 12:20:31 PM, phantom wrote:
New images of the early universe bump the formally estimated 13.7 billion year old universe to 13.8 billion. In addition, the images further confirm the truth of the Big Bang theory.

I don't see how this rules out inflation.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 4:27:44 PM
At 3/24/2013 3:54:43 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Inflation is incorporated in most Big Bang models.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 9:59:15 AM
At 3/24/2013 4:27:44 PM, Enji wrote:

Well no f*cking sh!t, it kinda has to be, now doesn't it? (otherwise it was just a big explosion in a goofy atom that disappeared and our universe doesn't exist)

But, there is a theory floating around by a lot of guys who have disproved a lot of formerly widely held beliefs that there was no big bang, but that the universe just inflated without anything as dramatic as a giant explosion that increased the size of the universe from almost nothing to f*cking massive in a blink of an eye.

I don't know if they're right, because I'm not nearly smart enough to refute a single thing they say about physics, but I see nothing in this discovery which refutes them either.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 11:50:41 AM
At 3/26/2013 9:59:15 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/24/2013 4:27:44 PM, Enji wrote:

Well no f*cking sh!t, it kinda has to be, now doesn't it? (otherwise it was just a big explosion in a goofy atom that disappeared and our universe doesn't exist)

But, there is a theory floating around by a lot of guys who have disproved a lot of formerly widely held beliefs that there was no big bang, but that the universe just inflated without anything as dramatic as a giant explosion that increased the size of the universe from almost nothing to f*cking massive in a blink of an eye.

I don't know if they're right, because I'm not nearly smart enough to refute a single thing they say about physics, but I see nothing in this discovery which refutes them either.

Inflationary theory proposes the exponential growth (faster than expected with the classical Big Bang) on account of properties of elementary particles (which aren't incorporated in the classical Big Bang Theory). Inflation is incorporated in most Big Bang models because it explains why the universe appears flat and homogeneous when based on the classical Big Bang theory one would expect a highly curved heterogeneous universe. Inflation doesn't propose that the Big Bang didn't happen and the Big Bang doesn't propose that anything exploded.
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 3:07:25 PM
At 3/23/2013 6:43:12 PM, phantom wrote:
At 3/23/2013 1:51:57 PM, Kinesis wrote:
That's right in line with genesis

Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics.

That is the truest statement I have heard on this site so far.
"Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics." ~ phantom
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 5:45:25 PM
At 3/28/2013 5:35:55 PM, StevenDixon wrote:
The big bang is a msnomer, it's a rapid expansion of "pre-existing" materials.

And...?
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 6:05:48 PM
In before Creationist say, "Ah, that proves science is a lie and the Bible is true - look at how many times those silly scientists changed the age of the Universe. Seriously, they're a moving target." LOL.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:35:28 PM
At 3/28/2013 6:05:48 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
In before Creationist say, "Ah, that proves science is a lie and the Bible is true - look at how many times those silly scientists changed the age of the Universe. Seriously, they're a moving target." LOL.

DUMB scientists!!! Can't make up ther mind!! THIS PROVES SCIENCE IS A LIE!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 8:48:10 AM
So much for "settled" science and the age of the universe. Wonder what else the scientific community could be wrong about in the "settled" science dept.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:57:51 AM
At 3/30/2013 8:48:10 AM, sadolite wrote:
So much for "settled" science and the age of the universe. Wonder what else the scientific community could be wrong about in the "settled" science dept.

I doubt a single scientist would have said the age of the universe was settled. 13.7 billion was an estimation as is 13.8 billion. It can always be off. That it's far older than what young earth creationists would say, is very settled however.
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:53:28 PM
I thought the Universe was 6,000 years old.
"Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics." ~ phantom