Jump to topic:

de-extinction being considered

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 12:39:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'd be totally jazzed if they made a mammoth.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 12:41:41 PM
Is it bad that I'm more excited about giant ferns than dinosaurs?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 12:43:23 PM
At 3/31/2013 12:41:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

A little.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 12:47:01 PM
At 3/31/2013 12:43:23 PM, muzebreak wrote:

A little.

Just think how cool a carboniferous forest would be in a conservatory. Minus the giant centipedes and dragonflies. Unless you're into that sort of thing.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 12:52:14 PM
I can't believe my life just became the start of a horror movie. Quick, tell me all the obvious mistakes people in horror movies make so I can avoid them!
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 12:55:09 PM

No.

Haven't people seen Jurassic Park?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 12:57:53 PM
we've seen jurassic park but that movie was set in the 1980s or something the weapons we have now would easily take down a trex
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 12:59:24 PM
At 3/31/2013 12:57:53 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
we've seen jurassic park but that movie was set in the 1980s or something the weapons we have now would easily take down a trex

I feel old.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:00:03 PM
Dodo bird ftw!
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:01:26 PM
At 3/31/2013 1:00:03 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Dodo bird ftw!

Yes, they may make a close to perfect farm animal. Dose cuuute iggle tings!
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:03:19 PM
At 3/31/2013 1:00:03 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Dodo bird ftw!

I want these even more:
- Hilaire Belloc -
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:03:47 PM
At 3/31/2013 12:59:24 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I feel old.

no i mean the setting of the movies was in the 1980s
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:04:40 PM
This is awesome, the more animal species brought back to life, the more animal species I might have the opportunity to eat
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:06:45 PM

........................................................................................
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:07:45 PM
At 3/31/2013 1:03:47 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 3/31/2013 12:59:24 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I feel old.

no i mean the setting of the movies was in the 1980s

...no it wasn't.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:09:05 PM
At 3/31/2013 1:06:45 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

........................................................................................

ok show me a trex flipping an M1 Abrams
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:09:24 PM
And once we have moas...
- Hilaire Belloc -
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:23:55 PM
At 3/31/2013 12:55:09 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

No.

Haven't people seen Jurassic Park?

lol I was about to make this exact post. Seriously, dude, nothing that can kill us. That's just dumb.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:27:52 PM
At 3/31/2013 1:09:05 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

I don't think we want to test this. Or are you willing to see if a rocket launcher can reliably take out a Haast's Eagle as it bears down on you at 50 mph? I hope you have impeccable aim.
- Hilaire Belloc -
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:30:30 PM
At 3/31/2013 1:27:52 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I don't think we want to test this. Or are you willing to see if a rocket launcher can reliably take out a Haast's Eagle as it bears down on you at 50 mph? I hope you have impeccable aim.

if its bearing down its going at a straight line won't need good aim
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:33:39 PM
t rex versus an apache full stocked
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:42:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember a while back scientists saying there is no usable dinosaur DNA so cloning dinosaurs is impossible and everyone being sad.

Mammoths and dodos are my votes.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:43:38 PM
At 3/31/2013 1:33:39 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
t rex versus an apache full stocked

The apache helicopter: the only thing more powerful than a young boy's wish on christmas eve.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:52:40 PM

You know, you just need a hunter with proper hunting rifle and you can take down even the Rex himself. You don't actually need modern military to fight off the dinosaur at all, Tank, Missile, or even M-16 is ineffective to such role (the former is obviously unable to be deployed in forest, the latter can't penetrate the thick skin of wild animal).

I read some of the literature about the hunter who have been hunting elephant or rhino. He said, the most important thing to know if you are going face to face with this kind of animals, is to have a proper hunting-grade rifle that is specially designed to be used against this kind of animal. And aim for their brain or spine, not the hearth. Because animal like this have a very good vitality, even if you crushed their hearth, they will still charge at you, which might kill you in the process.

So apparently, technology isn't what is lacked in Jurassic Park, it is the skill and equipment that let them in to such state -_-
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 2:00:57 PM
At 3/31/2013 1:52:40 PM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

You know, you just need a hunter with proper hunting rifle and you can take down even the Rex himself. You don't actually need modern military to fight off the dinosaur at all, Tank, Missile, or even M-16 is ineffective to such role (the former is obviously unable to be deployed in forest, the latter can't penetrate the thick skin of wild animal).

I read some of the literature about the hunter who have been hunting elephant or rhino. He said, the most important thing to know if you are going face to face with this kind of animals, is to have a proper hunting-grade rifle that is specially designed to be used against this kind of animal. And aim for their brain or spine, not the hearth. Because animal like this have a very good vitality, even if you crushed their hearth, they will still charge at you, which might kill you in the process.

So apparently, technology isn't what is lacked in Jurassic Park, it is the skill and equipment that let them in to such state -_-

The problem generally with bringing apex predators back to life is that they were better at hunting than we are. It's not that they have super-thick skin, steel-hard bones or can take us out in a one-on-one duel, out in the open with all of our technology available to us. It's that in the wild, dangerous places in the world, on their turf, we don't stand much of a chance. They're stealthier than us, faster than us, and are generally adapted perfectly to hunt and kill. And that, deprived of their usual foodstuffs, predators will sometimes turn to hunting people. A boomstick and crappy eyesight isn't going to cut it if you never see them coming. That's why I generally find the resurrection of giant raptors like the Haast's Eagle, or small, intelligent dinosaurs like velociraptors, to be a more dangerous proposition than that of a big, lumbering, T-Rex.
- Hilaire Belloc -
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 2:05:01 PM
At 3/31/2013 2:00:57 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

The problem generally with bringing apex predators back to life is that they were better at hunting than we are. It's not that they have super-thick skin, steel-hard bones or can take us out in a one-on-one duel, out in the open with all of our technology available to us. It's that in the wild, dangerous places in the world, on their turf, we don't stand much of a chance. They're stealthier than us, faster than us, and are generally adapted perfectly to hunt and kill. And that, deprived of their usual foodstuffs, predators will sometimes turn to hunting people. A boomstick and crappy eyesight isn't going to cut it if you never see them coming. That's why I generally find the resurrection of giant raptors like the Haast's Eagle, or small, intelligent dinosaurs like velociraptors, to be a more dangerous proposition than that of a big, lumbering, T-Rex.

some of our soldiers are also trained to kill true in a forest environment the velociraptor or haast eagel would win but if you brought it to cities like the ones marines and black ops operatives are trained to work with we would most likely win
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 2:07:30 PM
At 3/31/2013 2:05:01 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

some of our soldiers are also trained to kill true in a forest environment the velociraptor or haast eagel would win but if you brought it to cities like the ones marines and black ops operatives are trained to work with we would most likely win

Which is why such predators would never set up shop, so to speak, in a human city. We would essentially be making the wild areas of the world much more dangerous to us. Not to mention disrupting their ecosystem.
- Hilaire Belloc -
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 2:24:47 PM
At 3/31/2013 2:07:30 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/31/2013 2:05:01 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Which is why such predators would never set up shop, so to speak, in a human city. We would essentially be making the wild areas of the world much more dangerous to us. Not to mention disrupting their ecosystem.

going off of the movie a dinosaur would likely travel to the city. just lay out a hypothesis based off the movie.

1) whoever came from said dinosaur preserve either intentionally or unintentionally steal an egg.

2) dinosaur mother (most likely a predator) gets pissed the h3ll off

3) dinosaur mother follows people on to ship

4) chase in city starts

5) military comes

6) dinosaur gets gunned down