Jump to topic:

Big Bang "Explosion"

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 4:45:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The common way of visualizing the Big Bang is as an explosion from a single point in space and I've always considered it a convenient way of visualizing it in 3D. It really didn't happen in 3 dimensions so it is obviously flawed. This webpage from NASA provides a much better visualization.

In the analogy of an exploding ball, the Universe is contained on the surface of the ball. What is in the interior of the ball is not part of the Universe and is beyond the scope of the Big Bang Theory. Now imagine the surface of the ball in 3D and that is our universe expanding away from all other points in the Universe. Yet, there is no central point from which the Universe started expanding because the center of the ball is outside the Universe and outside the scope of the Big Bang Theory.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov...
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 7:09:28 PM
You've forgotten about Time. Add that to your visualisation and tell me what shape you get.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 1:57:54 AM
At 3/31/2013 7:09:28 PM, APB wrote:
You've forgotten about Time. Add that to your visualisation and tell me what shape you get.

Yep, time is a dimension. It expands through the points in the center and at any given point in time (a dimension) the universe will either have existed in that point, passed through that point, or will do so in the future. The "central point" from which the ball is expanding would be indicated by an infinitely small interval from when the universe began expanding to when its position is measured.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 10:47:58 AM

It is space time. The shape is ball, saddle, or flat. What other visualizations are you referring to?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 10:52:16 AM
At 4/3/2013 1:57:54 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Yep, time is a dimension. It expands through the points in the center and at any given point in time (a dimension) the universe will either have existed in that point, passed through that point, or will do so in the future. The "central point" from which the ball is expanding would be indicated by an infinitely small interval from when the universe began expanding to when its position is measured.

The future of time only exists if enabled to do so, which in turn is a function of the shape of spacetime.