Jump to topic:

Water on the moon!

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 6:43:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm surprised at how much they found. 24 gallons? Whew.

And I've thought over the question of why the Apollo missions didn't find this; it is probably because they never landed on the dark side, and they also never landed near the poles.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 10:59:01 PM
im all about space travel... investing as much money as possible in it. but this makes me nervous... we find water on the moon and all we can see is dollar signs. we cant wait to go up there and start pumping out every last drop. its a very tempting proposition, but we cant forget the lessons in water mgmt we have learned on earth. water is a precious resource and if we dont use it sustainably we will lose it. i fear we are gonna go over there and turn it all into rocket fuel, then realize next century we shouldnt have wasted it.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 6:37:32 AM
At 11/13/2009 10:59:01 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
im all about space travel... investing as much money as possible in it.

Ehh, you already sound ridiculous.

but this makes me nervous... we find water on the moon and all we can see is dollar signs. we cant wait to go up there and start pumping out every last drop. its a very tempting proposition, but we cant forget the lessons in water mgmt we have learned on earth. water is a precious resource and if we dont use it sustainably we will lose it. i fear we are gonna go over there and turn it all into rocket fuel, then realize next century we shouldnt have wasted it.

First off, who "cant wait to go up there and start pumping out every last drop"? Second, you can't convert water to rocket fuel. Third, there isn't anything wrong with water management on Earth, we have quite an abundance.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:03:01 AM
Water is never "wasted". The only way to really get rid of it is to dump it into space, which there is no market incentive to do.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 12:19:00 PM
Water might not be "wasted" but there are certainly water shortages in various parts of the world where people don't have access to it (albeit usually for political reasons). Regardless, of course we're going to look to colonize the moon lol it's new land, new territory. Its the America of outer space. I heard that we're going to be able to vacation on the moon in 2032... I personally don't believe that, but that's what they say.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 12:47:36 PM
At 11/14/2009 12:19:00 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Water might not be "wasted" but there are certainly water shortages in various parts of the world where people don't have access to it (albeit usually for political reasons). Regardless, of course we're going to look to colonize the moon lol it's new land, new territory. Its the America of outer space. I heard that we're going to be able to vacation on the moon in 2032... I personally don't believe that, but that's what they say.

We'll probably have a moon base by 2032. If it's stable, then people can pay for "vacations" to the moon. We'll probably be on Mars maybe ten years after that. It's easier to get to Mars from the moon (moon has no atmosphere you need to go through, etc) - so we can send actual astronauts to the Red Planet.

Should be exciting : )

The most interesting moon, though, would be Titan. When the earth does swell to it's Red Giant stage, Titan (Saturn's moon) will have Earth's climate - we would probably migrate there as the Earth would be swallowed up by the sun.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 1:56:31 PM
At 11/14/2009 12:49:06 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
FAIL http://www.debate.org...

You fail. They only found water molecules on your source. Also, wikinews is fail in and of itself.
NightLane
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 9:25:29 AM
I believe I read in the Wall Street Journal that that was one of the main things because it would allow for further expeditions? I suppose they're hoping for a little more than the one area they've found so far
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2009 5:52:10 AM
At 11/14/2009 12:47:36 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
We'll probably have a moon base by 2032. If it's stable, then people can pay for "vacations" to the moon. We'll probably be on Mars maybe ten years after that. It's easier to get to Mars from the moon (moon has no atmosphere you need to go through, etc) - so we can send actual astronauts to the Red Planet.

Should be exciting : )
I doubt that trips to the moon will be more than an order of magnitude cheaper than they are now. So we're talking maybe a $50 million "vacation". Fun.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 5:41:01 PM
im all about space travel... investing as much money as possible in it.

Ehh, you already sound ridiculous.

I'm sure I do, to someone that is ignorant of the benefits of investing in space travel. These computers we are using are NOTHING other than convenient by-products of our attempts to travel into space. There is no grander or more rewarding challenge for humanity than to climb into the sky and discover the rest of the universe, and it is frankly quite sad that people like you are only interested in the short-term returns of this investment. Our space program has done little since we landed on the moon 40 years ago, and that is also quite sad.

but this makes me nervous... we find water on the moon and all we can see is dollar signs. we cant wait to go up there and start pumping out every last drop. its a very tempting proposition, but we cant forget the lessons in water mgmt we have learned on earth. water is a precious resource and if we dont use it sustainably we will lose it. i fear we are gonna go over there and turn it all into rocket fuel, then realize next century we shouldnt have wasted it.

First off, who "cant wait to go up there and start pumping out every last drop"? Second, you can't convert water to rocket fuel. Third, there isn't anything wrong with water management on Earth, we have quite an abundance.

First off, the whole reason they are excited about the water is to use it. I am skeptical about any decision to use the water on the moon, because it would most likely involve removing the water and transporting it away. We might find in a few centuries that we really could have used that water in a more important way, for instance a sustainable method of using and reusing it to maintain human habitats upon the moon. It is all too typical of us to walk in there and mine it to dust, then realize we really shouldn't have later.

Second, water is an immensely important ingredient in rocket fuel. They are planning on manufacturing the rocket fuel on the moon, which is great for our short-term goals but could provide wasteful if we simply remove it and don't consider possible sustainable future uses.

Third, our water problems on the Earth are actually quite remarkable. Your statement of abundance is somewhat interesting... I take it you don't live in the Gaza Strip!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 9:44:06 PM
I don't see how space travel is a useful investment for us to make. Counting on a return from useful but undependable side effects is not my idea of money well spent. Sure maybe we'll find some super energy source, but then again we already have a super energy source. I wouldn't spend any more of our money on space tech than is necessary to maintain space superiority.

Plus we really can't feasibly travel very far anyways, at least not now or any time soon. And why would we really want to travel anyways, how many lightyears away (lightyears!) is the next semi earth-like planet?? Dreamers might have big ideas, but they aren't at all realistic at the moment and ought not be invested in.

And as for finding other kinds of life:
1. We're not ready
2. Why would we want to??
to be wiped out by evil sentients? or evil bacteria? take your pick.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 6:41:49 PM
I don't see how space travel is a useful investment for us to make. Counting on a return from useful but undependable side effects is not my idea of money well spent. Sure maybe we'll find some super energy source, but then again we already have a super energy source. I wouldn't spend any more of our money on space tech than is necessary to maintain space superiority.

Your too short-sighted. Space travel has tremendous rewards, which include scientific, economic, and philisophical effects. We're not going to fund a space program just to find a "super energy source"... This is one possible result of our space program but there are limitless possibilities of what we can achieve by investing in the exploration of space.

Plus we really can't feasibly travel very far anyways, at least not now or any time soon. And why would we really want to travel anyways, how many lightyears away (lightyears!) is the next semi earth-like planet?? Dreamers might have big ideas, but they aren't at all realistic at the moment and ought not be invested in.

Again, you are concentrating on short-sighted goals. We're not guaranteed a super energy source, or another earth, or divine happiness just by investing in space travel. We are guaranteed scientific knowledge, innovation and technology, and the wonders that we discover while we are out there. Not everyone can appreciate astronomy and cosmology, unfortunately...

And as for finding other kinds of life:
1. We're not ready
2. Why would we want to??
to be wiped out by evil sentients? or evil bacteria? take your pick.

1. Yes, with people like you who are only concerned with money, it's easy to say we aren't ready! If aliens have any sort of ethics they will probably be disgusted with how badly we destroy our planet for short-term economic rewards, and how we are so individualistically greedy. If they are capitalists themselves, and only concerned with greed, then they'll probably just kill us and take our resources. The free market will tell them they can make more money stealing from us then trading!

2. How very cowardly and illogical. Advanced aliens would NOT wipe us out because we didn't invest in our space program? That's a hot load of BS if I ever heard it. If they are that advanced then they will come find us! Bacteria would be quarantined if we found it, and there is no reason to believe it would be harmful or out of control if it exists. Frankly, we know about as much about alien life as we do about God - NOTHING.