Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Ptosis (sagging breasts)

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 11:17:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Many women and medical professionals mistakenly believed that the breast itself offered insufficient support and that wearing a bra prevented sagging. Many also believed that nursing increased sagging.

Research found that the primary influencing factors over a woman's lifetime on sagging are cigarette smoking, a woman's body mass index (BMI), her number of pregnancies, and her breast size before pregnancy.

Since breasts are an external organ and do not contain muscle, exercise cannot improve their shape. They are not protected from external forces and are subject to gravity. Many women mistakenly believe that because breasts cannot anatomically support themselves that wearing a brassiere will prevent their breasts from sagging later in life. Researchers, bra manufacturers, and health professionals cannot find any evidence to support the idea that wearing a bra for any amount of time slows breast ptosis. Bra manufacturers are careful to claim that bras only affect the shape of breasts while they are being worn.

Interesting conclusion: Bras don't prevent sagging
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 11:22:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/13/2013 11:17:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Many women and medical professionals mistakenly believed that the breast itself offered insufficient support and that wearing a bra prevented sagging. Many also believed that nursing increased sagging.

Research found that the primary influencing factors over a woman's lifetime on sagging are cigarette smoking, a woman's body mass index (BMI), her number of pregnancies, and her breast size before pregnancy.

Since breasts are an external organ and do not contain muscle, exercise cannot improve their shape. They are not protected from external forces and are subject to gravity. Many women mistakenly believe that because breasts cannot anatomically support themselves that wearing a brassiere will prevent their breasts from sagging later in life. Researchers, bra manufacturers, and health professionals cannot find any evidence to support the idea that wearing a bra for any amount of time slows breast ptosis. Bra manufacturers are careful to claim that bras only affect the shape of breasts while they are being worn.

Interesting conclusion: Bras don't prevent sagging

Did anyone really think they did?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 11:31:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was under the impression that women wore bras for appearance purposes. Not because they wanted to prevent sagging...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 11:32:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/13/2013 11:31:39 AM, TUF wrote:
I was under the impression that women wore bras for appearance purposes. Not because they wanted to prevent sagging...

I thing they go together in a way
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 12:20:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Apparently it's more comfortable to run in a bra. I guess that's one practical use.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 12:25:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/13/2013 11:22:37 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 4/13/2013 11:17:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Many women and medical professionals mistakenly believed that the breast itself offered insufficient support and that wearing a bra prevented sagging. Many also believed that nursing increased sagging.

Research found that the primary influencing factors over a woman's lifetime on sagging are cigarette smoking, a woman's body mass index (BMI), her number of pregnancies, and her breast size before pregnancy.

Since breasts are an external organ and do not contain muscle, exercise cannot improve their shape. They are not protected from external forces and are subject to gravity. Many women mistakenly believe that because breasts cannot anatomically support themselves that wearing a brassiere will prevent their breasts from sagging later in life. Researchers, bra manufacturers, and health professionals cannot find any evidence to support the idea that wearing a bra for any amount of time slows breast ptosis. Bra manufacturers are careful to claim that bras only affect the shape of breasts while they are being worn.

Interesting conclusion: Bras don't prevent sagging

Did anyone really think they did?

Me.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 12:31:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/13/2013 11:22:37 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Did anyone really think they did?

Most people think they do.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 12:54:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/13/2013 12:48:35 PM, natoast wrote:
Ptosis is wen you can't properly open your eyes.

I checked and he's right
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 1:31:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/13/2013 12:54:29 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 4/13/2013 12:48:35 PM, natoast wrote:
Ptosis is wen you can't properly open your eyes.

I checked and he's right

Ptosis etymologically means "falling," and it's used medically to describe sagging in internal organs, eyelids, and even breasts. http://www.beautifulself.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 1:31:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/13/2013 1:31:01 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 4/13/2013 12:54:29 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 4/13/2013 12:48:35 PM, natoast wrote:
Ptosis is wen you can't properly open your eyes.

I checked and he's right
Ptosis etymologically means "falling," and it's used medically to describe sagging in internal organs, eyelids, and even breasts. http://www.beautifulself.com...
Also, http://tinyurl.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2013 11:48:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/13/2013 12:20:19 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
Apparently it's more comfortable to run in a bra. I guess that's one practical use.

I'll have to try this.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227