Jump to topic:

Time Stopped!

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 12:50:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have try to imagine what would going to happen if time is to stopped like what we see in science fiction. When the only time functioning is in our body (thus allow us to move) and found quite an interesting result which is:

1. You can not move, you will probably die due to the lack of oxygen too in a time less environment. Material including air need time to create movement, so let say you try to breath or move air particle in a timeless environment, it will only happen when the time start to move again (you breath too fast the air doesn't have time to react). although you can still move if you are in space.

Assume that only you and the air still have time to move still:

2. Fire can not be lit, it need time to function, it will be without temperature and can be touch without burning your hand. Because there is not time to transfer the temperature from fire to your hands.

3. You can step on water, even water need time to be collapsed. So stepping on water in a timeless environment will be like Ninja - moving so fast the water doesn't have time to react.

4. Conversely you can not step on land, particularly on garden full of grass (assume that gravity too still have time to function.) The leaf will be frozen solid in an absent of time and since you body still have, it will penetrate your shoes like stepping on a cutter (remember it is motionless and motionless, regardless of force so every force you applied will bound back to you, grass can not break without time, so you who still have will.)

5. You can fight the villain, cause as many collateral damage as you wish because in any case, nothing can take damage without time. If you stab someone (timeless) with a knife the only thing that happen is the knife will deflect like stabbing a stone because there is no time to transfer the force of knife in that person flesh. If you are the hug and you throw your enemy toward a parking car, if your enemy still have time running he will take bruise but the car will be in perfect shape.

6. You can not lift a single thing in timeless environment. The same law applied, movement take time, so it is impossible to take a bank note from someone pocket. It will be like you pull it too fast, it doesn't have time to move.

Interesting yes :D
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 1:59:15 PM
In sci-fi, time is slowed to a stop and people just stand still. This is not what Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle suggests would happen. As time slowed, particles would start behaving erratically and chaotically and if you were to completely stop time you would find nothing but a blur of utter and complete chaos. It is similar to if you were to reduce temperature to absolute zero (which isn't so dissimilar, after all, since we are talking about internal versus external motion). If time stopped, you would have the ability to know the precise velocity (zero) of all particles so you would be infinitely unable to know anything about their location, hence the chaos. Every particle around you would exist in every location throughout the entire universe... the Sum Over Histories would, instead of giving you one average spot (the location of the particle you're looking at) would give you every possible location of that particle (every spot in the universe).
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 2:21:15 PM
You would also find it quite hard to see, since photons can't move to your retinas. I'm unsure about what was previously stated about the uncertainty principle - wouldn't it be you moving infinitely faster than everything else, and thus your perception of time is infinitely slow?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 6:17:08 PM
Space and time are interlinked. So if time slowed down, everything around you would shrink. Light would still move at the same speed, as it now has less distance to cross relative to you. The speed of light is a constant, so everybody must measure it to be the same no matter what their frame of reference. If time stopped completely, the whole universe would shrink to 0 size around you and form an event horizon, trapping you inside a black hole. And light would still move at the same speed, because it can cross 0 distance in 0 time.

You'd still interact with matter as normal if everything was slowed, but you might break it because you're applying more force (relative to the object). Or, if you've slowed time too much, your body would create a huge gravity well that distorts and destroys anything you reach for.

It definitely does not work the same way as in science fiction.
boss1592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 3:41:37 AM
At 4/22/2013 6:17:08 PM, APB wrote:
Space and time are interlinked. So if time slowed down, everything around you would shrink. Light would still move at the same speed, as it now has less distance to cross relative to you. The speed of light is a constant, so everybody must measure it to be the same no matter what their frame of reference. If time stopped completely, the whole universe would shrink to 0 size around you and form an event horizon, trapping you inside a black hole. And light would still move at the same speed, because it can cross 0 distance in 0 time.

You'd still interact with matter as normal if everything was slowed, but you might break it because you're applying more force (relative to the object). Or, if you've slowed time too much, your body would create a huge gravity well that distorts and destroys anything you reach for.

I have to say, science fact is infinitely more strange, and infinitely more wonderful
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 11:04:48 AM

I am thinking more in a case where you can move at 0th second I would disagree that black hole is to happened if time is stopped. Light need time to move to anyway , and not so sure why the matter would shrink as in this case. Shrinkage also need time so I don't really see why it can happened in the absent of time.

Actually, perhaps in my case time is not stopped at all, it is flow as normal only you and your body can move so fast that it take zero second to act.
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 6:56:18 PM
At 4/23/2013 11:04:48 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

I am thinking more in a case where you can move at 0th second I would disagree that black hole is to happened if time is stopped. Light need time to move to anyway , and not so sure why the matter would shrink as in this case. Shrinkage also need time so I don't really see why it can happened in the absent of time.

Actually, perhaps in my case time is not stopped at all, it is flow as normal only you and your body can move so fast that it take zero second to act.

The reason space shrinks is because the speed of light is a constant.

Imagine that Jack is on the ground and Jill is on a train moving at steady speed (not slowing down or speeding up). Jack and Jill are each playing a game of table tennis. Jack measures his ball to be moving at speed X, while he measures Jill's ball to be moving at speed X + Y (speed of train). Jill just measures her ball as X, because she's also moving at speed Y. Nevertheless, the physics of their table tennis games remain identical. Any scientific experiment Jill conducts will yield the same results as any Jack conducts, because the laws of physics are the same.

The speed of light is a law of physics, determined by the laws of electromagnetism. So if Jack and Jill play laser tag instead, Jack will measure his laser beam to be travelling at speed C, and also measure Jill's to be travelling at C (this has been tested numerous times, and stumped physicists before Einstein came along). In order for C = C + Y to be true, the distance covered by Jill's laser beam and the time it takes must both be smaller than the distance and time for Jack's laser beam.

So if you could artificially slow down time to mimic the effects of being on the train, time would drag space with it. And you'd still measure the speed of light to be C, because you haven't changed the laws of physics. And if the "size" of time shrinks to 0, then the size of space shrinks to 0. All the mass and energy occupying that space is still there, however, and must therefore be packed more densely. At zero size, all mass occupys a single point and thus has infinite density. The gravity well created by an object with infinite density is sufficient steep that its escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, which means nothing can escape. Thus, a black hole.

Relative to you, the entire universe would be compressed to zero size. The universe, however, would see you as the one compressed to zero size. Remember that from Jill's perspective, Jack and the ground are the ones moving while the train is stationary, so she'll see Jack as the one getting shrunk.

Your moving so fast it takes zero time would have the same effect, by the way.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 11:26:43 PM
At 4/22/2013 12:50:21 PM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
I have try to imagine what would going to happen if time is to stopped like what we see in science fiction.

I've thought about that, too, and I don't think it's even coherent. If time stopped, then there would no longer be any motion. No subatomic particles would be in motion, and there could be no waves, so it's hard to imagine how there could even be any matter.

1. You can not move, you will probably die due to the lack of oxygen too in a time less environment.

Yeah, but I've always imagined that if time stopped all around you, but you continued to experience time, then the atmosphere immediately surrounding you would continue to exist in time as well. That's why your clothes don't become stiff. So it seems at least possible that the air immediately around you could be in motion, so you could breathe.

2. Fire can not be lit, it need time to function, it will be without temperature and can be touch without burning your hand. Because there is not time to transfer the temperature from fire to your hands.

That's true, but it all depends on what frame of reference time would continue to exist in. If there were a big bubble around you such that everything outside the bubble was frozen in time and everything inside the bubble continued to experience time, then you could start a fire within the bubble.

3. You can step on water, even water need time to be collapsed. So stepping on water in a timeless environment will be like Ninja - moving so fast the water doesn't have time to react.

That depends. Considering the fact that your clothes are not frozen in time (since they can move), it could be that anything you touch experiences time the same way you do. So, if you stepped on water, the water would become temporal, and you'd sink.

When it comes to fiction, you can just stipulate a solution to all these problems. It's like with time travel and the paradoxes associated with it. Different authors deal with them in different ways. They're essentially creating their own world where the laws that govern that world are determined by the author. They don't have to be laws that apply to our world, although a good scifi author will try to make sense of them in terms of our laws. Fantasy authors don't even bother.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 6:16:14 AM
At 4/23/2013 6:56:18 PM, APB wrote:
At 4/23/2013 11:04:48 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

The reason space shrinks is because the speed of light is a constant.

Imagine that Jack is on the ground and Jill is on a train moving at steady speed (not slowing down or speeding up). Jack and Jill are each playing a game of table tennis. Jack measures his ball to be moving at speed X, while he measures Jill's ball to be moving at speed X + Y (speed of train). Jill just measures her ball as X, because she's also moving at speed Y. Nevertheless, the physics of their table tennis games remain identical. Any scientific experiment Jill conducts will yield the same results as any Jack conducts, because the laws of physics are the same.

The speed of light is a law of physics, determined by the laws of electromagnetism. So if Jack and Jill play laser tag instead, Jack will measure his laser beam to be travelling at speed C, and also measure Jill's to be travelling at C (this has been tested numerous times, and stumped physicists before Einstein came along). In order for C = C + Y to be true, the distance covered by Jill's laser beam and the time it takes must both be smaller than the distance and time for Jack's laser beam.

So if you could artificially slow down time to mimic the effects of being on the train, time would drag space with it. And you'd still measure the speed of light to be C, because you haven't changed the laws of physics. And if the "size" of time shrinks to 0, then the size of space shrinks to 0. All the mass and energy occupying that space is still there, however, and must therefore be packed more densely. At zero size, all mass occupys a single point and thus has infinite density. The gravity well created by an object with infinite density is sufficient steep that its escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, which means nothing can escape. Thus, a black hole.

Relative to you, the entire universe would be compressed to zero size. The universe, however, would see you as the one compressed to zero size. Remember that from Jill's perspective, Jack and the ground are the ones moving while the train is stationary, so she'll see Jack as the one getting shrunk.

Your moving so fast it takes zero time would have the same effect, by the way.

isn't that mean everything in the universe (including me) will be reduced to the size of time (zero). I think if no contraction between the size of myself (or rather my sense) the shrinkage of space will be impossible to observe and post no effect on my perception of the world. Let's say if time is stopped and the entire universe is shrinking indefinitely in the same volume at the same speed, I will not notice any change because my sense is also part of the universe and will be shrinking at the same rate and speed.

like when I am boarding the supersonic flight, my entire space is being move at speed faster than sound, yet I do not see thing moving at all except by looking at the window.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:37:27 AM
First thought: then how am I reading and processing the sentence "Time Stopped!"
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:55:19 AM
At 4/24/2013 9:37:27 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
First thought: then how am I reading and processing the sentence "Time Stopped!"

initially it means simply to what had been frequently used in sci-fi. I suppose it will be like phil described, a frozen universe with body size bubble of time flowing space (although I guest the bubble will be exactly to the size of your body + garment, otherwise you will likely kill any subject you touched by partially allow the flow of time in certain part of their body).

Then we are talking of what would happened if the time is stopped in full scientific perspective which I am interested so it has been on and on.