Jump to topic:

Math question (polyhedrons FTW)

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 12:17:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Okay, so this might be a dumb question, and it would go in the math forums if there was one, but I'm tipsy and the screen is blurry and I don't know and I'm annoyed that I don't know, so help from one of the smarty-pantses on here would be greatly appreciated:

WTH do you call a polydron which is:

A shape that would be a rectangular prism, except that there's an extra face so that one side slopes down, thus making it technically a heptahedron of some sort.

It's a typewriter case, if that helps (1929 Underwood portable, if that helps, which it probably won't).

I feel like there's gotta be a name for the shape.

I would like the most technical definition possible, if anyone knows, so thanks in advance...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 7:19:38 AM
At 5/1/2013 12:17:41 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Okay, so this might be a dumb question, and it would go in the math forums if there was one, but I'm tipsy and the screen is blurry and I don't know and I'm annoyed that I don't know, so help from one of the smarty-pantses on here would be greatly appreciated:

WTH do you call a polydron which is:

A shape that would be a rectangular prism, except that there's an extra face so that one side slopes down, thus making it technically a heptahedron of some sort.

It's a typewriter case, if that helps (1929 Underwood portable, if that helps, which it probably won't).

I feel like there's gotta be a name for the shape.

I would like the most technical definition possible, if anyone knows, so thanks in advance...

If I understand correctly, it has 7 sides (whereas a normal rectangular prism would have 6) such that it is some type of extruded irregular pentagon. In this case it would fall under the general description of pentagonal prism.

If the shape of the base has a specific name then it might be a thatname-al prism.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 11:53:46 AM
I think "pentagonal prism" is probably the best description I can use.

Thanks guys!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!