Jump to topic:

screwing with evolution

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 7:36:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is it right to manipulate and undermine the natural process of evolution in the name of "compassion" I don't get those that swear by this theory and at the same time will undermine and manipulate it so the weak and deformed can survive. The weak and deformed should be killed off, not allowed to live. Why does compassion over ride the natural order of everything.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 8:44:41 PM
At 5/9/2013 7:36:51 PM, sadolite wrote:
Is it right to manipulate and undermine the natural process of evolution in the name of "compassion" I don't get those that swear by this theory and at the same time will undermine and manipulate it so the weak and deformed can survive. The weak and deformed should be killed off, not allowed to live. Why does compassion over ride the natural order of everything.

Your fallacy is assuming we ascribe to the naturalistic fallacy. Evolution describes what does happen, rather than what should happen.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 9:12:50 PM

Apparently, what you don't get, is evolution. If you believe in evolution, then you should believe that the human nature that has evolved is consistent with the natural order, human compassion doesn't undermine or manipulate evolution, it is a result of evolution and it is in fact, part of the natural order of everything.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 10:20:12 PM

What does evolution have to do with how we ought to act?
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 10:40:25 PM
As a self-aware, sentient species, the evolution of our species can be thrown out of the window, in favor of whatever makes us happy. Besides, we'll have control over our own evolution rather soon:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:01:36 AM
At 5/9/2013 9:12:50 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Apparently, what you don't get, is evolution. If you believe in evolution, then you should believe that the human nature that has evolved is consistent with the natural order, human compassion doesn't undermine or manipulate evolution, it is a result of evolution and it is in fact, part of the natural order of everything.

I wish we had thumbs up and thumbs down buttons. This is most definitely a thumbs up post.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 2:25:01 PM
So given all that has been said thus far, we should expect a weakening in both physical and mental capabilities in humans with regard to how we as a species are "currently evolving." Less intellegent people are being allowed to procreate and geneticly deficiant people are allowed to procreate at an all time high in human evolution. This should according to evolution have a negative effect on the human speacies as a whole, it cant possibly help it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 2:32:50 PM
At 5/10/2013 2:25:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
So given all that has been said thus far, we should expect a weakening in both physical and mental capabilities in humans with regard to how we as a species are "currently evolving." Less intellegent people are being allowed to procreate and geneticly deficiant people are allowed to procreate at an all time high in human evolution. This should according to evolution have a negative effect on the human speacies as a whole, it cant possibly help it.

You know people with genetic disorders can get IVF and choose an embryo that does not carry a defective gene, right? Technology is our primary means of evolving now. And unless we go back to the Stone Age, any weakening in our raw biological form won't affect us.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 12:11:32 AM

Why would we expect a weakening in both physical and mental capabilities? Are you aware that we have had to increase the difficulty of IQ tests and SATs and the likes? Dont we find people who are well fit and physically better, more attractive?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 10:20:41 AM
"You know people with genetic disorders can get IVF and choose an embryo that does not carry a defective gene, right?' Add what percentage of those who have genetic difficiantcies actually use this process? Cost prohibative. Nice try.

Smart, intellegent and atractive people have all but stoped reproducing to a point that it has no effect on weeding out the week and deficiant.

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 10:37:55 AM

Anyone else a little off-put by this wording?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 10:39:09 AM
At 5/11/2013 10:20:41 AM, sadolite wrote:
"You know people with genetic disorders can get IVF and choose an embryo that does not carry a defective gene, right?' Add what percentage of those who have genetic difficiantcies actually use this process? Cost prohibative. Nice try.

Smart, intellegent and atractive people have all but stoped reproducing to a point that it has no effect on weeding out the week and deficiant.

Okay, now I'm starting to be kind of glad you don't believe in Evolutionary Theory.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 3:45:27 PM
At 5/11/2013 10:37:55 AM, Wnope wrote:

Should I sugar coat it. Don't act as if people like this are not breeding and altering the gene pool. Yes this is a hard subject to discuss. Scientifically speaking allowing such behavior to continue will have a negative effect. I am not advocating anything. I am merely stating what is happening. The Well educated have all but stopped breeding. The only breeding going on is in the lowest realms of the human gene pool. Not all but a large majority. The wrong people are having children.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 3:55:31 PM
At 5/11/2013 3:45:27 PM, sadolite wrote:

Should I sugar coat it. Don't act as if people like this are not breeding and altering the gene pool. Yes this is a hard subject to discuss. Scientifically speaking allowing such behavior to continue will have a negative effect. I am not advocating anything. I am merely stating what is happening. The Well educated have all but stopped breeding. The only breeding going on is in the lowest realms of the human gene pool. Not all but a large majority. The wrong people are having children.

The assumption here is that well-educated people make well-educated children. I don't see any such pattern on a daily basis. In fact, I observe the opposite. Most of the 'well-bred' kids are mentally lugubrious hedonists who can't be bothered to entertain a single train of thought that doesn't involve shiny things or fornication. Meanwhile, most of the level-headed, interesting, or skilled people are from the upper-middle to lower classes, with perhaps the most impressive collection being from the lower end of the spectrum. Now, can the upper-class kids pull the wool over people's eyes and appear to be intelligent and responsible? Absolutely. But they still have mush for brains, and end up being 'management material' (lumps of useless, platitude-spewing meat).

Getting a degree doesn't make one intelligent. Attending a good school doesn't make one intelligent. Acquiring good marks doesn't make one intelligent. Managing business doesn't necessarily require intelligence, just a manipulative disposition. If anything, genuine intelligence is selected against socially, because people would, for the largest part, rather wallow in socially reinforced delusion than critically examine anything.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 6:46:56 PM
At 5/11/2013 3:55:31 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

The assumption here is that well-educated people make well-educated children. I don't see any such pattern on a daily basis. In fact, I observe the opposite. Most of the 'well-bred' kids are mentally lugubrious hedonists who can't be bothered to entertain a single train of thought that doesn't involve shiny things or fornication. Meanwhile, most of the level-headed, interesting, or skilled people are from the upper-middle to lower classes, with perhaps the most impressive collection being from the lower end of the spectrum. Now, can the upper-class kids pull the wool over people's eyes and appear to be intelligent and responsible? Absolutely. But they still have mush for brains, and end up being 'management material' (lumps of useless, platitude-spewing meat).

Getting a degree doesn't make one intelligent. Attending a good school doesn't make one intelligent. Acquiring good marks doesn't make one intelligent. Managing business doesn't necessarily require intelligence, just a manipulative disposition. If anything, genuine intelligence is selected against socially, because people would, for the largest part, rather wallow in socially reinforced delusion than critically examine anything.

"people would, for the largest part, rather wallow in socially reinforced delusion than critically examine anything." Now apply this to any social argument

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2013 8:20:53 PM
At 5/11/2013 6:46:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/11/2013 3:55:31 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

"people would, for the largest part, rather wallow in socially reinforced delusion than critically examine anything." Now apply this to any social argument

Congratulations, you've discovered the closest thing to an axiom in Sociology.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 8:50:10 PM
Here's some interesting reading on the prolifereation of inbreeding and the destruction of the gene pool.

http://clashdaily.com...

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 8:53:54 PM
At 5/12/2013 8:50:10 PM, sadolite wrote:
Here's some interesting reading on the prolifereation of inbreeding and the destruction of the gene pool.

There are numerous other sources if one wants to play racist cards or politically correct cards and try and reject them using these tired and worthless decks of cards.

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 8:56:29 PM

So....what? Target people who commit incest?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:25:23 PM

Think of it this way:

Those who practice incest, are less likely to have their genes passed on by their offsprings due to various physical and psychological mutations that can result in being a social outcast. Thus, the genes for incest (if there are any) die out.

Although, I seriously doubt that incest is genetic because that is one of the most horrid things that you can do in order to proliferate your genes, so I would guess that it's a choice. Then again, if anybody has any evidence to the contrary, I welcome it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:48:17 PM
At 5/12/2013 10:25:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Think of it this way:

Those who practice incest, are less likely to have their genes passed on by their offsprings due to various physical and psychological mutations that can result in being a social outcast. Thus, the genes for incest (if there are any) die out.

Although, I seriously doubt that incest is genetic because that is one of the most horrid things that you can do in order to proliferate your genes, so I would guess that it's a choice. Then again, if anybody has any evidence to the contrary, I welcome it.

Incest just makes it increasingly more likely for recessive traits to show up over generations. It doesn't make instant mutant babies, and is often dressed up to be more harmful than it actually is. It's actually used quite widely in breeding programs to isolate desirable recessive traits.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 8:19:02 PM
At 5/12/2013 10:48:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Think of it this way:

Incest just makes it increasingly more likely for recessive traits to show up over generations. It doesn't make instant mutant babies, and is often dressed up to be more harmful than it actually is. It's actually used quite widely in breeding programs to isolate desirable recessive traits.

You mean like it's being used in the muslim world?

Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 8:46:22 PM

Are you saying the weak and the deformed are slowing humanities evolution?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 9:19:37 PM
At 5/13/2013 8:19:02 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:48:17 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Think of it this way:

You mean like it's being used in the muslim world?

Please don't tell me you take that source seriously? It lists no citations, a few statistics irrelevant to the thesis of the piece, and no specifics about what disorders are so rampant. It's unadulterated rhetoric.
- Hilaire Belloc -
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 8:50:30 AM

I agree. We are over-riding natural selection. People with significant family histories of things like HTN, diabetes, sickle cell, epilepsy, cardiovascular disease, strokes, depression, addiction, etc. etc., should be stopped from breeding. We are artificially selecting for these negative traits and not allowing natural selection to work its magic. I guess we should should kill off those people, or at the very least spay and neuter them so they don't pollute the entire gene pool.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 9:00:58 AM
At 5/9/2013 10:20:12 PM, Wnope wrote:

What does evolution have to do with how we ought to act?

Shouldn't we act in a way that is in keeping with natural processes?? Meaning that if natural selection is meant to remove negative traits that act against a population's survivability, we shouldn't be allowing those people to breed.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 9:14:07 AM
At 5/14/2013 8:50:30 AM, medic0506 wrote:

I agree. We are over-riding natural selection. People with significant family histories of things like HTN, diabetes, sickle cell, epilepsy, cardiovascular disease, strokes, depression, addiction, etc. etc., should be stopped from breeding. We are artificially selecting for these negative traits and not allowing natural selection to work its magic. I guess we should should kill off those people, or at the very least spay and neuter them so they don't pollute the entire gene pool.

And new technologies are allowing us to counteract the negative effects of these disorders (And addiction isn't genetically linked to any significant degree, anyone can get addicted to things. Same thing for depression.) New technologies are allowing these people to live normal lives and be able to reproduce. In addition, a large portion of these people actually take steps to reduce the chances of passing down these traits (such as using IVF, as I mentioned). This falls in line with evolution - we are advanced enough to deal with some negative traits. We will also further advance to the point where we can just replace specific genes in our genome, and by this point, your eugenics program will have a net long-term benefit of having made a bunch of people die as virgins.
Wall of Fail

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 10:56:51 AM
At 5/14/2013 9:14:07 AM, drhead wrote:

And new technologies are allowing us to counteract the negative effects of these disorders (And addiction isn't genetically linked to any significant degree, anyone can get addicted to things. Same thing for depression.) New technologies are allowing these people to live normal lives and be able to reproduce. In addition, a large portion of these people actually take steps to reduce the chances of passing down these traits (such as using IVF, as I mentioned). This falls in line with evolution - we are advanced enough to deal with some negative traits. We will also further advance to the point where we can just replace specific genes in our genome, and by this point, your eugenics program will have a net long-term benefit of having made a bunch of people die as virgins.

A large portion of those people use IVF?? Really?? We may advance to gene replacement as an economically feasible option someday, but that day isn't anytime soon. What do we do until then, just keep letting the gene pool decay??
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 12:19:19 PM
At 5/14/2013 10:56:51 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 5/14/2013 9:14:07 AM, drhead wrote:

A large portion of those people use IVF?? Really?? We may advance to gene replacement as an economically feasible option someday, but that day isn't anytime soon. What do we do until then, just keep letting the gene pool decay??

Why would you be surprised that people who know they have a genetic disorder would want to take steps to reduce the chances of passing it on to their children?
Wall of Fail