Jump to topic:

How do magnets work?

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:36:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is all I've got. It can't possibly be right... or could it?

http://www.dudelol.com...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:40:17 PM
Yep that's correct. You can tell because the "dudelol.com" with a big smiling face and teeth certifies it as correct.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 2:31:58 PM
At 6/21/2013 1:40:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Yep that's correct. You can tell because the "dudelol.com" with a big smiling face and teeth certifies it as correct.

Yup, my thoughts exactly.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 7:04:28 PM
It's to do with charges, which are an inherent property of particles. There's really no how, it's just what we observe, there is nothing underlying the principles of magnetism.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 2:34:44 PM
It's not fully understood. We have names for the forces involved, but that's about it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 2:38:39 PM
At 6/23/2013 2:34:44 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
It's not fully understood. We have names for the forces involved, but that's about it.

Yay for tautologies.
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 4:57:34 PM

What do you mean that's about it? There's a whole theory about how it unifies with the weak force, virtual photon interactions and a whole bunch of stuff my second year physics course didn't cover.

Also, if the questioner is interested in how magnets (as opposed to the magnetic force) works, it's got to do with the magnetic dipole created by the angular momentum of the electrons in the atoms making up the substance. If enough of them align in the same direction then you get a magnet. Moving electricity creates a magnetic field. The electrons in the material are 'moving' (quantum mechanics thing) around in circles and so they generate a magnetic field.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 5:45:29 PM
At 6/23/2013 4:57:34 PM, the_croftmeister wrote:

What do you mean that's about it? There's a whole theory about how it unifies with the weak force, virtual photon interactions and a whole bunch of stuff my second year physics course didn't cover.

Also, if the questioner is interested in how magnets (as opposed to the magnetic force) works, it's got to do with the magnetic dipole created by the angular momentum of the electrons in the atoms making up the substance. If enough of them align in the same direction then you get a magnet. Moving electricity creates a magnetic field. The electrons in the material are 'moving' (quantum mechanics thing) around in circles and so they generate a magnetic field.

Really? I thought it was definitely that gravity thing...

the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 6:39:57 PM
Lol, I realise you didn't mean the thread seriously, but some people evidently read it that way. In which case others might and I thought it would be good not to promote misconceptions at least
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 7:23:30 PM

I mean we can describe the effects of electromagnetic phenomena, and their interactions with other forces, but we cannot describe what exactly the force is in and of itself. Which is usually what people who ask this question are ultimately after.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 7:28:51 PM
At 6/23/2013 7:23:30 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I mean we can describe the effects of electromagnetic phenomena, and their interactions with other forces, but we cannot describe what exactly the force is in and of itself. Which is usually what people who ask this question are ultimately after.

If that's your experience fair enough. It isn't mine. We don't really have good metaphysical explanations for anything so this problem isn't limited just to magnetism.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 7:36:43 PM
At 6/23/2013 7:28:51 PM, the_croftmeister wrote:
At 6/23/2013 7:23:30 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

If that's your experience fair enough. It isn't mine. We don't really have good metaphysical explanations for anything so this problem isn't limited just to magnetism.

I'd agree. I've just learned that trying to answer this question tends to frustrate both parties, because the scientist puts a lot of effort into explaining what we do know, but the curious party is usually (nine times out of ten) only interested in what we don't know (a good metaphysical explanation). The common question that I encounter ad nauseum is 'yeah, but what is it really?'
- Hilaire Belloc -
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 8:16:18 AM
At 6/23/2013 7:36:43 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

The common question that I encounter ad nauseum is 'yeah, but what is it really?'
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 12:12:02 AM
Which kind?

Rare earth magnets, electromagnets or chick magnets
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:41:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/21/2013 9:36:27 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
This is all I've got. It can't possibly be right... or could it?

http://www.dudelol.com...

The technical explanation is that electrons in the atoms release virtual photons which impart momentum onto another magnetic or electrically charged object.
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson