Jump to topic:

Do you still think aliens don't exist?

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 11:10:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't think that anybody who has a rudimentary grasp of math has ever denied that alien life exists.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Aleafe1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:01:36 PM
Well there are "aliens" but they're not like the living communicating types. It's the micro organisms living on other planets and that's the scientific bit, but if that's not what you mean I think aliens do exist. I think it's nice to believe in things like that it helps your mind wander and develops your creativity in a way...
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 4:23:23 PM
It depends on how you define the question. I don't think anyone would genuinely think there are NO living organisms anywhere else in the universe.

But there are other issues tied up in the question.

I certainly DON'T think that there are alien beings visiting Earth on a regular basis in flying saucers, for example.

But mathematically, according to things Drake Equation and the Equivalence Principle, there are almost certainly other examples of life (as we understand it) on other planets. But sadly, I have my doubts that there are any species that are similar enough to us that we could communicate with them, whose period of existence in the lifespan of the universe coincides with ours
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 2:13:15 PM
Well I have a belief that alien life exists, but when considering intelligent alien life, I am the equivalent of a weak atheist. ;)
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
ZachyDiz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 1:28:05 AM
I believe that aliens do exist. The only reason I say this is because of the Roswell incident. I believe that the government is trying to cover-up some big alien scandal with this "weather balloon" idea. The farmer on the ranch picked up the pieces and reported some that had nothing to do with a weather balloon. Also, there are plenty of reports from people with photographs. Whether these people are lying or these images were photoshopped no one will ever know, but they look pretty convincing.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 12:45:41 PM
Yes. Until I meet an alien from outer space, I will continue thinking that they do not exist. However, I believe that they are out there!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 1:20:28 PM
At 7/10/2013 12:45:41 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Yes. Until I meet an alien from outer space, I will continue thinking that they do not exist. However, I believe that they are out there!

So you think they do not exist, but believe they are out there...Alrighty then.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 5:39:47 PM
At 7/4/2013 1:01:36 PM, Aleafe1999 wrote:
Well there are "aliens" but they're not like the living communicating types. It's the micro organisms living on other planets and that's the scientific bit, but if that's not what you mean I think aliens do exist. I think it's nice to believe in things like that it helps your mind wander and develops your creativity in a way...

you see all we know of is the micro organism aliens. what we say about how life is constituted is horribly wrong. there is most definitely life far smarter than us, and they have either not discovered us yet, have and are fearful of our warlike ways, or have and are waiting for us to advance.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 5:40:56 PM
At 7/10/2013 12:45:41 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

i smell a contradiction
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Aenglaan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 1:40:56 PM
I don't think that those who look into the topic concerning alien life don't think it exists. Right now, it's about finding evidence to support it (outside of probabilities like Drake's Equation and such). Within our solar system, we really haven't found any strong evidence so far.
Aenglaan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 1:41:47 PM
I don't think that those who look into the topic concerning alien life don't think it exists. Right now, it's about finding evidence to support it (outside of probabilities like Drake's Equation and such). Within our solar system, we really haven't found any strong evidence so far. Never the less, I wouldn't be surprised if we found life tomorrow.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 2:42:20 PM
I don't think aliens exist. There hasn't been any evidence whatsoever publicly. If you want to believe in conspiracies like Roswell, I guess that's your perogative, but it's very notable in my opinion that Roswell was right next to an Air Force base and they supposedly found some strange flying craft there.

A statistical certainty built on a HUGE list of assumptions is less than compelling.
Bannanawamajama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 1:25:43 PM
I'm sure "alien life" exists, but its probably like microorganisms or fish maybe. Considering how short advanced human civilization has been, maybe 10000 years since we started getting our sh-tuff together, it seems a bit unlikely that other advanced life that may have popped up hasn't had their sun explode or killed themselves off through thermonuclear warfare. So while life probably exists, the tiny span of time where we are intelligent enough to matter and not dead yet seems too small for us to ever see them. Some may exist on the other side of the universe, but theres a spacial limit to where it matters, because if they are too far away then it would take them a hundred thousand years to ever reach us so we'd be dead before they could get here anyways.
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 5:03:10 PM
I find it unnecessary to believe in aliens therefore I don't. I'll entertain a positive or negative assertion on the matter but I neither believe our disbelieve.

I suppose this isn't exactly the question because it requests a strong assertion of a negative but I simply don't believe in aliens.
sweetbreeze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 2:51:08 AM
At 7/13/2013 2:42:20 PM, Naysayer wrote:
I don't think aliens exist. There hasn't been any evidence whatsoever publicly. If you want to believe in conspiracies like Roswell, I guess that's your perogative, but it's very notable in my opinion that Roswell was right next to an Air Force base and they supposedly found some strange flying craft there.

A statistical certainty built on a HUGE list of assumptions is less than compelling.

Just because something isn't proven, doesn't mean it's not real. That's just a habit. It isn't the least bit true.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 1:12:00 PM
At 7/18/2013 2:51:08 AM, sweetbreeze wrote:
At 7/13/2013 2:42:20 PM, Naysayer wrote:

Just because something isn't proven, doesn't mean it's not real. That's just a habit. It isn't the least bit true.

Conversely, just because something is not disproved and we all think it would be cool, doesn't mean it is real.

Here's one guy's ideas on it, though and you can tell he' actually put some thought into it.

http://www.businessinsider.com...