Jump to topic:

Dark matter for Christmas?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 5:18:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Haven't we already confirmed that 95% of the Universe is dark matter? We've even seen the gravitational effects of it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 5:24:22 PM
At 12/7/2009 5:18:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Haven't we already confirmed that 95% of the Universe is dark matter? We've even seen the gravitational effects of it.

Yes but nobody knows wtf it is.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 5:24:58 PM
At 12/7/2009 5:18:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Eh it's a placeholder term for, something is causing these things to happen. The exact nature of what those particles are, if they exist, is unknown, or even if dark matter is the correct hypothesis. As it is now, it's a model that explains certain physical observations.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 5:27:52 PM
I don't really get much of that article Puck or what it is trying to say. Can you please put it in layman's terms?

I do find it very cool that they can cool the hockey-puck type things to 0.04K. Any idea how they'd do that?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 5:28:49 PM
It'll probably be the biggest disappointment in science. It may be just a heavier form of our current matter, with otherwise no special properties.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 5:34:05 PM
At 12/7/2009 5:28:49 PM, wjmelements wrote:
It'll probably be the biggest disappointment in science.

Strings may trump that one. :P
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 5:35:02 PM
At 12/7/2009 5:28:49 PM, wjmelements wrote:
It'll probably be the biggest disappointment in science. It may be just a heavier form of our current matter, with otherwise no special properties.

Other than that it's invisible you mean? :P

Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 6:04:38 PM
At 12/7/2009 5:27:52 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
I don't really get much of that article Puck or what it is trying to say. Can you please put it in layman's terms?

Dark matter theory proposes WIMPs which should randomly scatter, and be picked up here on Earth. What CDMS does is say, these unknowns should interact with nuclei (giving a different mass), so if we start measuring reaction times for bouncing particles we should be able to detect different times because there are mass discrepancies.

I do find it very cool that they can cool the hockey-puck type things to 0.04K. Any idea how they'd do that?

Not sure there specifically, but usually laser cooling is used for low Kelvins.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2009 6:15:57 PM
At 12/7/2009 6:04:38 PM, Puck wrote:
At 12/7/2009 5:27:52 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Dark matter theory proposes WIMPs which should randomly scatter, and be picked up here on Earth. What CDMS does is say, these unknowns should interact with nuclei (giving a different mass), so if we start measuring reaction times for bouncing particles we should be able to detect different times because there are mass discrepancies.

Ahh righto thanks. :)

Not sure there specifically, but usually laser cooling is used for low Kelvins.

I found an interesting link re. this: http://www.eurekalert.org...

They basically used magnets to confine gaseous clouds of atoms so the atoms' velocity (and hence temperature) gets nearer and nearer absolute zero.