Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 1:12:28 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/10/2009 1:11:01 AM, Puck wrote:
At 12/10/2009 12:47:42 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Yep... scary as all hell.

http://www.news.com.au...

O.o That is scary. How soon before the Army buy in bulk?

buy the scientists*
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 2:00:11 AM
Wow, crazy stuff.

Reminds me of an article I read in New Scientist earlier in the year... scientists found that playing Tetris shortly after a traumatic event almost eliminated the possibility of post-traumatic stress disorder.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 2:00:51 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk...
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 2:07:26 AM
At 12/10/2009 2:00:11 AM, leet4A1 wrote:

Reminds me of an article I read in New Scientist earlier in the year... scientists found that playing Tetris shortly after a traumatic event almost eliminated the possibility of post-traumatic stress disorder.

Haha, neat.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 10:00:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
you can do it yourself, just change the story a little bit at a time and repeat it over and over and over. Then you'll think of it instead, change it again, rinse and repeat, until it's sufficiently different.

I'm sure drugs could only help.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2009 7:37:44 PM
At 12/11/2009 4:04:51 PM, Harlan wrote:
That's pretty freaky. Reminds me of the movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, If anybody's seen it.

Great movie!

And scary scientific results. Oh no everyone, watch out for the Technological singularity!
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2009 7:39:20 PM
This is terrible.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 1:59:02 AM
This is not the first study of his kind :s psychologists have been working on memory modification for some time now. The study posted seems nothing more than classical conditioning.

I wish I could remember the author of the study... but basically the experimenters were able to implant memories into people's heads. Subjects were told by a trusted source (mom, dad, older brother) that when they were younger they were lost in the mall. When subjects were asked to retell the story, suddenly other details were added, such as how the subject felt scared and asked someone for help and blah blah blah, retelling a story that never happened, adding details that were never given, simply because they were told they were "lost in a mall".

Another study had participants watch a video of a car accident, where no shattered glass was in involved. Those who were asked how fast the car was going when they smashed into each other (rather than simply hit) suddenly remember the cars going much faster than they had been in the video, and when asked if there was glass, they said yes (even though there had been none). This is why witness testimony in court is so fragile.

Don't know why these supposed scientists are claiming to be the "first" to figure this out...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 2:01:27 AM
At 12/12/2009 1:59:02 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
This is not the first study of his kind :s psychologists have been working on memory modification for some time now. The study posted seems nothing more than classical conditioning.

**I meant extinction of the reinforced response. More details of the study need to be given, such as how long and how many times each group was given the square without the shock.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 5:55:53 AM
The titlee "Scientists can edit memories" is misleading.

First line says: "to block fearful memories, opening up the possibility of new treatment approaches for problems such as post traumatic stress disorder. "

Next sentence states "a fearful memory opened up a specific time window in which the memory could be edited before it was stored again."

"That window of susceptibility was typically between 10 minutes after re-exposure to the object to six hours later"

So, they can only take away memory before it is stored properly. This doesn't mean the CIA will make you think you're Max Power after some brain washing.

So far, it only works for fearful memories and seems to take some sophistication.

Besides ,look closely a the start "Drug-free". Meaning they can already weave out your memories via drugs,
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 1:47:57 AM
At 12/11/2009 4:04:51 PM, Harlan wrote:
That's pretty freaky. Reminds me of the movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, If anybody's seen it.

Brilliant film!

But surely this won't cure PTSD, as that is technically a form of actual brain damage not merely a nasty memory?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 1:37:53 PM
The question is whether or not we can continue to increase our technical skill with understanding and manipulating the brain, to the point where our memories become essentially subjective. The big problem with answering this question is that if the possibility to ever become this proficient with memory manipulation exists, then we cannot rule out the possibility that our memories have already been manipulated to some extent.

I think certain institutions already use suddle forms of memory manipulation.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2009 5:23:19 PM
At 12/27/2009 5:16:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Man, it's like they're begging for someone like me to pop into office.

Cody, even you wouldn't mass-edit people's memories... would you? I mean, I know you don't believe in rights, but you do believe in some base privileges...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2009 5:55:42 PM
At 12/27/2009 5:23:19 PM, Volkov wrote:

Cody, even you wouldn't mass-edit people's memories... would you? I mean, I know you don't believe in rights, but you do believe in some base privileges...

It's debatable....

But then again, what isn't?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2009 6:08:53 PM
At 12/27/2009 5:55:42 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

It's debatable....

Well, gravity isn't debatable. That's quite existence. Oh, and matter also isn't debatable. The Earth being round - also undebatable, unless you're really that far gone.

Now, the idea that your 'government' deserves respect/legitimacy when it willfully imposes something like mass memory edits? You're getting pretty close to undebatability.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2009 6:12:46 PM
At 12/27/2009 6:08:53 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/27/2009 5:55:42 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

It's debatable....

Well, gravity isn't debatable. That's quite existence. Oh, and matter also isn't debatable. The Earth being round - also undebatable, unless you're really that far gone.

Well, they are still debatable. Certain elements and limits on their effectiveness can be debated. All said and done, I agree with what you said, but I believe that there are still idiots out there who will debate that gravity does not exist because "it cannot be seen." (Obviously, it can be seen through physical actions, but I know several people who believe what I previously stated.)

Now, the idea that your 'government' deserves respect/legitimacy when it willfully imposes something like mass memory edits? You're getting pretty close to undebatability.

Mass memory edits? Depends on the type of government, the time period, economic status, the mood and capabilities of the people, etc...
Give me an example ;)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2009 6:16:09 PM
At 12/27/2009 6:12:46 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Well, they are still debatable. Certain elements and limits on their effectiveness can be debated. All said and done, I agree with what you said, but I believe that there are still idiots out there who will debate that gravity does not exist because "it cannot be seen." (Obviously, it can be seen through physical actions, but I know several people who believe what I previously stated.)

Well, that makes it debatable with stupidity, but gravity is still an undeniable fact, which makes it pretty undebatable, in regards to their existence.

Mass memory edits? Depends on the type of government, the time period, economic status, the mood and capabilities of the people, etc...
Give me an example ;)

Why would I give an example? There is no way it would be acceptable under any circumstances, 'for the greater good' or not. No point in giving an example of something that is wholly unacceptable in any situation.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2009 6:19:03 PM
At 12/27/2009 6:16:09 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/27/2009 6:12:46 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Well, that makes it debatable with stupidity, but gravity is still an undeniable fact, which makes it pretty undebatable, in regards to their existence.

I never said anything about undeniable facts. You agree that it is still debatable with stupidity, which is what I was going for ;)

Give me an example ;)

Why would I give an example? There is no way it would be acceptable under any circumstances, 'for the greater good' or not. No point in giving an example of something that is wholly unacceptable in any situation.

Wholly unacceptable in any situation? I stand in negation to your affirmation.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2009 6:23:58 PM
At 12/27/2009 6:19:03 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I never said anything about undeniable facts. You agree that it is still debatable with stupidity, which is what I was going for ;)

Lmao, I suppose it depends how much legitimacy you wish to extend to stupidity. xD

Then explain to me how this would be acceptable in a circumstance. Give me an example.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2009 6:31:53 PM
At 12/27/2009 6:23:58 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/27/2009 6:19:03 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Lmao, I suppose it depends how much legitimacy you wish to extend to stupidity. xD

Ha! Precisely ...

Then explain to me how this would be acceptable in a circumstance. Give me an example.

I must admit, I mainly oppose you in the forums to learn more about a subject or just to have a good time. Gee, I'll give this one a go. All right. (I agree with your view on this subject, btw, but I'll make up something juvenile for the he!! of it.)
Actually, I'm not going to provide a circumstance ;) Thinking more and more on the subject, I completely agree with your standpoint. Sorry to disappoint!