Jump to topic:

Is stem cell research ethical?

randoman11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 1:09:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Please could people fill out my survey on this topic? I'm doing a research project for school and need to know people's opinions :)

http://kwiksurveys.com...

Thank you!
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 1:50:19 PM
Embryonic stem cell research is obsolete, as scientists have found a way to convert any somatic cell into a stem cell.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 8:13:17 AM
At 8/3/2013 1:50:19 PM, Such wrote:
Embryonic stem cell research is obsolete, as scientists have found a way to convert any somatic cell into a stem cell.

I don't believe this to be true. Cells have been converted into what appears to be a state similar to en embryonic stem cell, but they have not been qualified to be as flexible as an embryonic stem cell.

There is a company that states they have a method to collecting embryonic stem cell without destroying the embryo, ACTC, but who knows if that is ethical. It would be unethical to test whether the embryo can fully grow without problems.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 8:15:05 AM
At 8/5/2013 8:13:17 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/3/2013 1:50:19 PM, Such wrote:

I don't believe this to be true. Cells have been converted into what appears to be a state similar to en embryonic stem cell, but they have not been qualified to be as flexible as an embryonic stem cell.

There is a company that states they have a method to collecting embryonic stem cell without destroying the embryo, ACTC, but who knows if that is ethical. It would be unethical to test whether the embryo can fully grow without problems.

I worded that first sentence wrong. It is true that stem cells have been derived from somatic cells, but they are not wholly equivalent to embryonic stem cells. They might be able to be used for most applications, bu that is yet to be seen.