Jump to topic:

Is Indiana Jones a Psychopath?

DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 10:09:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is the character Indiana Jones a psychopath?

I see no way to argue that he is anything other than a stone cold murderer; his body count is higher than all but a half-handful of horror movie villains. I have not conducted any real research, but I am confident that Jason (hokey mask) Voorhees has killed a few more persons. I am not certain about Freddy Krueger or the Jigsaw characters. I am certain that Indiana Jones has more documented kills than Darth Vader or Dracula or Frankenstein's Monster or Leatherface.

It is difficult to count them all. So many people have been killed due to some action that Indiana Jones was causing, but not by him directly. Just from the top of my head, Indiana has killed close to 50 directly, by gunshot, tank-rounds, intentionally cutting a rope bridge full of men, throwing several men into a pit of lava... and other killings.

The counts are only those documented in the four films, plus the Young Indiana Jones Series. Some estimates place the kill count as high as 150. http://www.chacha.com...

Importantly, Indiana kills these people instantly, with a shocking degree of ease. He does not struggle with the decision, and shows no signs of remorse. Although he does occasionally exhibit disgust, as when a man that he had tried to kill repeatedly was crushed to death by a stone grinder. Before his death, Indiana tried to kill him with a stone, a sledgehammer, a saw and a pickaxe.

Indiana Jones also demonstrates a complete lack of fear that he will be persecuted, or that there will be any consequences for his killings at all. A notable example of this was a scene when he shot a swordsman dead in broad daylight, in front of at least two dozen eyewitnesses. In this case, he made no effort to hide his identity, or to even flee the scene.

He even demonstrates an incredible ability to instantly decide to endanger the life of an Indian noble, the Maharaja of Pankot Palace, as well as unbelievable acts of child endangerment towards a child that he repeatedly demonstrated fondness towards. (Short Round.) At least three women that Indiana Jones seemed to have romantic interest in were intentionally placed into situations that could have killed them.

I would like help sorting through all of this. Has anyone the ability to determine if there is enough evidence here of severe mental illness on the part of Indiana Jones?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 10:54:49 PM
Ah, but when we last saw Indy (Crystal Skull) he didn't actually kill anyone.
Psychopaths don't usually stop being psychopaths when they're older.

Check mate.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:40:25 PM
At 8/4/2013 10:54:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Ah, but when we last saw Indy (Crystal Skull) he didn't actually kill anyone.
Psychopaths don't usually stop being psychopaths when they're older.

Check mate.

I am certain that he must have killed a dozen or so persons in the Crystal Skull film. The Soviets in the opening sequence, a man with a poison dart. Indiana kills several more with a grenade launcher. Perhaps more than a dozen.

By way of comparison, I believe that Jason Voorhees went at least one film without killing anyone. I think a good median number of kills for the hockey mask killer is around ten per film. This is barely even an educated guess...

This allows us to suppose that he killed his first man as a teenager, and left a trail of bodies behind into his late 60's.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:51:54 PM
Cold blooded maybe, but I don't think psychopath would be the right word. At a number of times he has shown anger at the harming of innocent people (eg, the Temple of Doom, when he sees the kids in the mine being beaten and forced to work). Plus, he seems to have a lot of friends and people he cares about.
Psyhcopaths generally don't feel compassion toward others at all, and are usually only emotionally invested in themselves.

He may have some sort of antisocial disorder though, since it's so easy for him to dehumanise certain people (the "bad guys").

Plus, he sucks as a true scientist and intellectual, because over the course of four films he has more or less proven the existence of aliens, magic, and God (and thus an afterlife), yet there is no evidence he's done anything useful with that information to help the world. Which makes him kind of a dick.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 4:27:00 AM
*sociopath
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
rajun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 6:24:53 AM
I think i agree the psychopathic business of Indy/ not sure though/ *sociopath...haha
Only cool guys can see this....
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 7:02:09 AM
Not all psychopaths are killers and not all killers are psychopaths.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 8:27:39 PM
There must be some way to quantify the question. Could a medical professional perform a proper diagnosis based on the exhibited behaviors in the films?
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 10:20:26 PM
In fairness to Jones, most if not all of the people he killed were either trying to kill him or trying to get their hands on some mystical artifact that probably would have ended up creating an army of super Nazis and/or Russians.

Also, he was in the military, so he's probably used to killing people.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 10:28:26 PM
At 8/5/2013 4:27:00 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
*sociopath

*psychopath.

Let's learn psych pl0x.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 11:47:35 PM
At 8/5/2013 10:28:26 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/5/2013 4:27:00 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
*sociopath

*psychopath.

Let's learn psych pl0x.

Learn2Googleplox
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."