Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Earth is actually an Ice Planet.

donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 8:31:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In a few days, I'll be hosting a debate on this topic. The time until then will be spent gathering further research.

RESOLUTION: As of the last One Million years, Earth is an Ice Planet.

Full Resolution: As of the year 1 MYA (and prior), Earth's continuous climate cycle shows it to be not a tropical planet that we have seen, but that it is currently an Ice Planet with heating cycles every 100,000 years. The Human Race as we know it begun directly after the latest Warming Cycle (known as the Holocene) started.

Definitions:

Ice Planet:
A planet primarily blanketed by snow and ice, or extensive glaciation, or who's natural state is an ice age.

Ice Age:
A cold period marked by episodes of extensive glaciation alternating with episodes of relative warmth.(1)

1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until I post this debate, I will be gathering research. Anyone seeking to challenge this Resolution should do the same.

The Resolution applies to the type of planet Earth is after (and slightly before) 1 million years ago.

If anyone has opinions, ideas, or helpful tips for either Pro or Con side, please share!

Further Reading:
http://www.grida.no...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Bannanawamajama
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 9:35:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
You made a typo. I believe the intended post was "Earth is actually a Nice Planet". If a moderator could change this that would be great.
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 9:36:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Haha!
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
RedLycan
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2013 3:35:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So you bring forth information withoutkbowing much of which you speak. It's like bringing blade to a gun fight
RedLycan
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2013 3:36:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/8/2013 3:35:24 PM, RedLycan wrote:
So you bring forth information withoutkbowing much of which you speak. It's like bringing blade to a gun fight

without knowing...my mistake
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2013 8:02:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I know plenty.

Knowing enough =/= Knowing everything. I intend on be able to host a massive debate and need a lot of sources and knowledge to do so, lest it get repetitive after Round 3.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2013 8:33:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/7/2013 8:31:20 PM, donald.keller wrote:
In a few days, I'll be hosting a debate on this topic. The time until then will be spent gathering further research.

RESOLUTION: As of the last One Million years, Earth is an Ice Planet.

Full Resolution: As of the year 1 MYA (and prior), Earth's continuous climate cycle shows it to be not a tropical planet that we have seen, but that it is currently an Ice Planet with heating cycles every 100,000 years. The Human Race as we know it begun directly after the latest Warming Cycle (known as the Holocene) started.

Definitions:

Ice Planet:
A planet primarily blanketed by snow and ice, or extensive glaciation, or who's natural state is an ice age.

Ice Age:
A cold period marked by episodes of extensive glaciation alternating with episodes of relative warmth.(1)

1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until I post this debate, I will be gathering research. Anyone seeking to challenge this Resolution should do the same.

The Resolution applies to the type of planet Earth is after (and slightly before) 1 million years ago.

If anyone has opinions, ideas, or helpful tips for either Pro or Con side, please share!

Further Reading:
http://www.grida.no...

Neither of those conditions holds. Ice covers very little of Earth's surface, and the on/off Ice Ages have only been going the last few million years. Earth is actually a water planet, as 70% of its surface is oceans and seas while other habitats are a minority.
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2013 9:02:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/8/2013 8:33:24 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 8/7/2013 8:31:20 PM, donald.keller wrote:
In a few days, I'll be hosting a debate on this topic. The time until then will be spent gathering further research.

RESOLUTION: As of the last One Million years, Earth is an Ice Planet.

Full Resolution: As of the year 1 MYA (and prior), Earth's continuous climate cycle shows it to be not a tropical planet that we have seen, but that it is currently an Ice Planet with heating cycles every 100,000 years. The Human Race as we know it begun directly after the latest Warming Cycle (known as the Holocene) started.

Definitions:

Ice Planet:
A planet primarily blanketed by snow and ice, or extensive glaciation, or who's natural state is an ice age.

Ice Age:
A cold period marked by episodes of extensive glaciation alternating with episodes of relative warmth.(1)

1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until I post this debate, I will be gathering research. Anyone seeking to challenge this Resolution should do the same.

The Resolution applies to the type of planet Earth is after (and slightly before) 1 million years ago.

If anyone has opinions, ideas, or helpful tips for either Pro or Con side, please share!

Further Reading:
http://www.grida.no...

Neither of those conditions holds. Ice covers very little of Earth's surface, and the on/off Ice Ages have only been going the last few million years.

I'll remind you of the Resolution...

As of the last One Million years, Earth is an Ice Planet.

Earth is actually a water planet, as 70% of its surface is oceans and seas while other habitats are a minority.

It's all about proportions. 70% is not enough to make it a water planet. 95% maybe.
Whereas a planet mostly consumed in an ice age or anything that qualifies, is an Ice Planet.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2013 10:18:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/8/2013 9:02:26 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 8/8/2013 8:33:24 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 8/7/2013 8:31:20 PM, donald.keller wrote:
In a few days, I'll be hosting a debate on this topic. The time until then will be spent gathering further research.

RESOLUTION: As of the last One Million years, Earth is an Ice Planet.

Full Resolution: As of the year 1 MYA (and prior), Earth's continuous climate cycle shows it to be not a tropical planet that we have seen, but that it is currently an Ice Planet with heating cycles every 100,000 years. The Human Race as we know it begun directly after the latest Warming Cycle (known as the Holocene) started.

Definitions:

Ice Planet:
A planet primarily blanketed by snow and ice, or extensive glaciation, or who's natural state is an ice age.

Ice Age:
A cold period marked by episodes of extensive glaciation alternating with episodes of relative warmth.(1)

1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until I post this debate, I will be gathering research. Anyone seeking to challenge this Resolution should do the same.

The Resolution applies to the type of planet Earth is after (and slightly before) 1 million years ago.

If anyone has opinions, ideas, or helpful tips for either Pro or Con side, please share!

Further Reading:
http://www.grida.no...

Neither of those conditions holds. Ice covers very little of Earth's surface, and the on/off Ice Ages have only been going the last few million years.

I'll remind you of the Resolution...

As of the last One Million years, Earth is an Ice Planet.

Earth is actually a water planet, as 70% of its surface is oceans and seas while other habitats are a minority.

It's all about proportions. 70% is not enough to make it a water planet. 95% maybe.
Whereas a planet mostly consumed in an ice age or anything that qualifies, is an Ice Planet.

The Earth has never been fully, or even mostly, covered in ice. Therefore it cannot be an ice planet.
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2013 10:20:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Earth in the last 1,000,000 years, according to the charts, is naturally in an ice age, minus systematic Warm Periods.

Say this for the Debate.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --