Jump to topic:

Space elevator.

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:46:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
A space elevator is a link from a certain height on Earth which travels towards outer-space.

Do you think it's possible?

Do you think it's practical?

Do you think we will create one? If so, when do you think that will happen?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:52:57 AM
At 8/13/2013 9:46:17 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
A space elevator is a link from a certain height on Earth which travels towards outer-space.

I believe it's possible.

I do not believe it is technologically or financially feasible.

I think, given the direction we are going, it will, at some point, be feasible and the benefits will outweigh the costs.

Just don't press all the buttons.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:54:16 AM
At 8/13/2013 9:52:57 AM, drafterman wrote:

I believe it's possible.

I think, given the direction we are going, it will, at some point, be feasible and the benefits will outweigh the costs.

Why do you think the benefits will outweigh the costs?

May the best man win!
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 10:58:21 AM

Yes, as well as a possible lunar elevator.

After it is created and considered safe.

We as in human species or the country you reside in? I believe that it will be done seeing as it is a mutual goal around the globe. I believe it will happen in the next 50 years and I would not be surprised if it happened in a shorter time frame.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 10:59:17 AM
At 8/13/2013 9:54:16 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I believe it's possible.

Eh, bad choice of words. I mean to say it will eventually be more cost effective than strapping human beings onto controlled explosives and hurtling them into space.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 11:00:22 AM

I believe it's possible.

After construction, harvesting galactic resources and knowledge would be considerably cheaper compared to the amount of fuel we need for space travel now.
Homosapien
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 11:02:08 AM
At 8/13/2013 10:59:17 AM, drafterman wrote:

I believe it's possible.

Eh, bad choice of words. I mean to say it will eventually be more cost effective than strapping human beings onto controlled explosives and hurtling them into space.

Marvellous post sir,

Sometimes taking things down to thier essential elements puts them into hilarious perspective.

I went to bed last night and thought.

"I'm going to be unconscious and wildly hallucinate for 8 hours, then wake up and forget most of the experience."
royalpaladin describing me in all my majestic glory -

"He has a cabal of votebombers behind him."
"I'll be informing airmax about you."
"It reveals that you want to look like you are intelligent, but actually are not."
"Stupid because you didn't warrant or impact your moronic arguments. That's all you will ever be good for."
"You're making stupid assumptions, as usual. "
"You really are an arrogant buffoon, aren't you?"
"You're just coming off as extremely arrogant and condescending."
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 12:49:36 PM

Space elevators are one of the coolest concepts to come out of sci-fi I think.

I think they're entirely feasible. There's nothing to them but engineering. They're a fairly simple concept on paper. There's going to have to be a reason before anyone will put any money into them, though, so it's going to have to be after we begin colonizing or mining space.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 2:15:24 PM
At 8/13/2013 12:49:36 PM, Naysayer wrote:

I think they're entirely feasible. There's nothing to them but engineering. They're a fairly simple concept on paper. There's going to have to be a reason before anyone will put any money into them, though, so it's going to have to be after we begin colonizing or mining space.

The strength of material and affect space rocks will have on it are some of the most pressing concerns.

May the best man win!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 3:18:56 PM
Absolutely possible.

We'll use this: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Super-light, 100X stronger than steal.

I'm thinking it will be done some time in the 2040 - 2060 year range.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 4:59:57 PM
At 8/13/2013 2:15:24 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 8/13/2013 12:49:36 PM, Naysayer wrote:

The strength of material and affect space rocks will have on it are some of the most pressing concerns.

Yeah, but it's not really a complicated problem. We have the know how to know what the problem is. We just have to put it together and work through it. And again. I really don't see it getting done unless someone's going to make some serious cash on it. Or an interplanetary war.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 5:46:22 PM
At 8/13/2013 3:18:56 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Absolutely possible.

Graphene isn't strong enough unless you're making it on the moon. Even then, you'd have to deal with it getting regularly perforated by space trash.

It might be possible, but it won't be easy by any means.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 7:04:03 PM

Sorry, did we learn nothing from 9/11? Tall buildings are highly vulnerable to aeroplanes, especially ones going all the way to outer space.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 7:21:47 PM

To expand upon this, it is when there is a platform that is further out than Geocentric orbit (so the centripetal force is greater than the gravitational force) It would have to be about twice as far as GO for transportation between the surface and platform to be as energy efficient as possible each way (the energy it takes to go up and be re-captured by slowing the elevator as it reaches the top).

Absolutely

Not yet, but it will become a major investment as space exploration becomes more significant.

Yes, probably 70 - 90 years. For a number of reasons.

1) Disposal of waste. Namely nuclear waste, though any waste can be done (it will be the way the cool new mafia disposes of bodies). Any material can be slingshot into the sun, or into deep space, or we can play target practice and see how accurately we can hit Jupiter's Great Red Spot. The fun is limitless.

2) Entering and leaving gravitational sinks takes vasts amounts of energy. If ships can be docked on a space elevator, then just load and unload cargo to the planet below, space travel becomes far more energy efficient and so more profitable.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 2:17:17 PM
At 8/13/2013 7:21:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

To expand upon this, it is when there is a platform that is further out than Geocentric orbit (so the centripetal force is greater than the gravitational force) It would have to be about twice as far as GO for transportation between the surface and platform to be as energy efficient as possible each way (the energy it takes to go up and be re-captured by slowing the elevator as it reaches the top).

Absolutely

Not yet, but it will become a major investment as space exploration becomes more significant.

1) Disposal of waste. Namely nuclear waste, though any waste can be done (it will be the way the cool new mafia disposes of bodies). Any material can be slingshot into the sun, or into deep space, or we can play target practice and see how accurately we can hit Jupiter's Great Red Spot. The fun is limitless.

2) Entering and leaving gravitational sinks takes vasts amounts of energy. If ships can be docked on a space elevator, then just load and unload cargo to the planet below, space travel becomes far more energy efficient and so more profitable.

I reckon getting materials from space will also spur on development, getting a material processing base on the moon and a space elevator there too (which will probably be way easier). Also perhaps getting more direct energy from the Sun.

May the best man win!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 2:50:36 PM

This...

such a construction would have to be relatively skinny, and all it's load would be Directly downward on it's structure...

I would think all our building materials would fail before it could reach the necessary height.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 2:57:05 PM
http://users.wpi.edu...

I guess carbon nanotubes are supposedly up to the task.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 3:23:16 PM
At 8/14/2013 2:17:17 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Absolutely

I reckon getting materials from space will also spur on development, getting a material processing base on the moon and a space elevator there too (which will probably be way easier). Also perhaps getting more direct energy from the Sun.

The moon is much less practical. Because it has a much lower escape velocity, it will not be as hard to use conventional means to enter and leave. Also, because the moon rotates much slower the elevator would have to be longer.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 4:52:21 PM
Unsafe and unpractical.

Distance to the moon is about 30 times Earth's diameter on average. Just imagine the costs and materials.
Also, the earth rotates! The moon orbits! It is true that we only see one side of the moon, but how are we going to make an elevator with an unstable environment? Create a floating and rotating elevator? As far as today's technology, there is no material that will act different from everything else inside the atomsphere.
If the elevator is connected to the moon it will get an untimely twisty demolition.

The only way I can imagine it working is by the elevator being a launching platform for mini-space ships instead after waiting for the moon to get in position.

Also, there is high risk for the elevator to... hit something. I am also concerned about what unstable gravity conditions will do to the longest man-made cuboid, imagine if there is a crack.

I am all game for moon transportation at a fraction of whatever NASA is doing, but we need something realistic that does not need the object transported to be as durable as the hulk.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 5:04:09 PM
If I wasn't on my iPhone this post would be full of as many face palms pictures and videos as could fit in 8000 characters.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 5:17:56 PM
Unless/until there's some real commercial interest in space travel I can't see this happening..

What reason do we have to go to space?

So far as I know, the moon is completely non-interesting as a source of materials (it's like earth but it's tougher to mine) and other planets are super far away and, of course, rather inhospitable... and I haven't heard that they offer us anything worthwhile anyways.

I doubt that rich people going into space, satellite launches, and general exploration are really economically viable reasons for attempting to build and maintain such a project.

If space travel becomes easier, and we have some real reason to send tons of big stuff out regularly then it might be attempted... but I can't see it happening anytime soon, and would be doubtful about it's prospects (as I am about our ability to travel very far in space) generally.

Metaphysics:
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:37:44 PM
At 8/14/2013 2:50:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

This...

such a construction would have to be relatively skinny, and all it's load would be Directly downward on it's structure...

I would think all our building materials would fail before it could reach the necessary height.

It's actually quite clever. There's a certain distance called geostationary orbit, which is around 36 Km from the Earth's surface. Beyond this distance, the downward force of gravity is less than the upward force which is provided by the spin of the Earth. This means than instead of having to build something which needs to withstand compression, we can create it to withstand tension.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:40:32 PM
At 8/14/2013 3:23:16 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/14/2013 2:17:17 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Absolutely

The moon is much less practical. Because it has a much lower escape velocity, it will not be as hard to use conventional means to enter and leave. Also, because the moon rotates much slower the elevator would have to be longer.

I believe that the one on the Moon might actually be created on the side facing Earth, and placed so that Earths gravity keeps it upright. We have materials which are easily up for the tensions necessary, but the length, and dangerous space rocks, still present a challenge. Plus the amount of material we can get to the Moon is limited, so the first elevator would kind of be a stepping stone for this one.

Also, efficiency is always a good thing. :)

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:44:54 PM
At 8/14/2013 4:52:21 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
Unsafe and unpractical.

Distance to the moon is about 30 times Earth's diameter on average. Just imagine the costs and materials.

We would need to make it at least 36 Km in length, which I agree is daunting. There are various proposals, some of which need the length of the elevator to be 100 Km. This length would allow us to fling objects into space at relatively high speeds.

Also, the earth rotates!

I believe the centrifugal force is what keeps the tension on the elevator.

The moon orbits! It is true that we only see one side of the moon, but how are we going to make an elevator with an unstable environment? Create a floating and rotating elevator? As far as today's technology, there is no material that will act different from everything else inside the atomsphere.
If the elevator is connected to the moon it will get an untimely twisty demolition.

Yeah, which is why we won't connect it to the Moon.

The only way I can imagine it working is by the elevator being a launching platform for mini-space ships instead after waiting for the moon to get in position.

Also, there is high risk for the elevator to... hit something. I am also concerned about what unstable gravity conditions will do to the longest man-made cuboid, imagine if there is a crack.

I am all game for moon transportation at a fraction of whatever NASA is doing, but we need something realistic that does not need the object transported to be as durable as the hulk.

Reconsider. It is still quite a crazy idea, but probably not as crazy as you envisioned.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:47:34 PM
At 8/14/2013 5:17:56 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Unless/until there's some real commercial interest in space travel I can't see this happening..

What reason do we have to go to space?

Materials and energy, commercially. Exploration and knowledge, scientifically.

So far as I know, the moon is completely non-interesting as a source of materials (it's like earth but it's tougher to mine) and other planets are super far away and, of course, rather inhospitable... and I haven't heard that they offer us anything worthwhile anyways.

Space rocks offer quite a lot of a wide variety of materials, I hear.

I doubt that rich people going into space, satellite launches, and general exploration are really economically viable reasons for attempting to build and maintain such a project.

I imagine governments would have to start it first. If it works, the following project will likely be a lot cheaper, and there is economic interest in space.

If space travel becomes easier, and we have some real reason to send tons of big stuff out regularly then it might be attempted... but I can't see it happening anytime soon, and would be doubtful about it's prospects (as I am about our ability to travel very far in space) generally.

Materials and energy.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:48:34 PM
At 8/13/2013 7:04:03 PM, Jack212 wrote:

Sorry, did we learn nothing from 9/11? Tall buildings are highly vulnerable to aeroplanes, especially ones going all the way to outer space.

It could potentially easily dodge an aeroplane.

May the best man win!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:48:56 PM
At 8/14/2013 9:44:54 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
Unsafe and unpractical.

We would need to make it at least 36 Km in length, which I agree is daunting. There are various proposals, some of which need the length of the elevator to be 100 Km. This length would allow us to fling objects into space at relatively high speeds.

Lol, no. It has to be thousands of miles because it has to be higher than geosync orbit.

Also, the earth rotates!

The moon orbits! It is true that we only see one side of the moon, but how are we going to make an elevator with an unstable environment? Create a floating and rotating elevator? As far as today's technology, there is no material that will act different from everything else inside the atomsphere.

Reconsider. It is still quite a crazy idea, but probably not as crazy as you envisioned.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:50:50 PM
At 8/14/2013 9:48:56 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/14/2013 9:44:54 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
Unsafe and unpractical.

Lol, no. It has to be thousands of miles because it has to be higher than geosync orbit.

Sorry, I meant 36,000 Km. I just don't normally mention lengths that far... :P

Also, the earth rotates!

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:52:04 PM
At 8/14/2013 9:37:44 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 8/14/2013 2:50:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

This...

It's actually quite clever. There's a certain distance called geostationary orbit, which is around 36 Km from the Earth's surface. Beyond this distance, the downward force of gravity is less than the upward force which is provided by the spin of the Earth. This means than instead of having to build something which needs to withstand compression, we can create it to withstand tension.

36,000 Km. ***

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 9:54:46 PM
At 8/13/2013 3:18:56 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Absolutely possible.

That's the hope. :)

May the best man win!