The Shannon Test

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:29:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.math.ucsd.edu...

The program on that page needs updated Flash or JavaScrip or something, and may prompt you for a run, and you may need to refresh it a few times for it to work. (Turn your sound on. The soundbites are quite interesting. )

Information entropy is a theory first proposed by Claude Shannon. It basically describes how much information is in a certain quantity of matter or energy. Random things have higher entropy than things with patterns. Shannon devised a test to test for information entropy in a regular English sentence. Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org...

My score is around 1.8~2.0. My English is bad D:

Do the test and post your score here.
0x5f3759df
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 10:56:36 PM
I did a short run
7 words 32 letters, entropy: 2.3886

what is meant by Entropy by the way?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 10:59:50 PM
At 8/13/2013 10:56:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I did a short run

ah, now I see the link :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 11:03:00 PM
I'm guessing a low score reflects you got more right in less tries?

Metaphysics:
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 7:20:40 AM
At 8/13/2013 10:56:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I did a short run

One way to say it is entropy = non-compressibility. If there's a two letter word and the first letter is 'T', then you pretty much know the next letter must be 'o'. So there's no entropy, no surprise, or unpredictability, to the letter after T.

As I've heard it, Shannon coined the term after noting that the most efficient communication methods look the most like noise. Remember dial up modems, and how they would sound like noise if you picked up a phone extension and listened in? So both the unusable loss of energy and the most efficiently coded message look the same - both look like noise - which is pretty interesting.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 7:24:42 AM
At 8/13/2013 11:03:00 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I'm guessing a low score reflects you got more right in less tries?

It means you can code English letters in about 3 bits/letter. Typical ASCII coding, like what's used on this page, is 8 bits (oversimplifying browser tech for a moment), so that's inefficient - it could be done with 3 bits/letter. There are 8 possible combinations for 3 bits (000, 001, 010,.... 111) so it's interesting that English letters can be coded with only 2.3-something bits each.
This space for rent.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 9:24:11 PM
At 8/15/2013 8:02:12 PM, Bullish wrote:
Claude Shannon looks like James Bond. http://en.wikipedia.org...

I used so many extraordinarily inappropriate words in my head when I saw that picture, expecting to see someone who actually looked like James Bond.