Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

How is consciouness related to brain states?

GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 7:43:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do you think that certain emotions can be triggered by applying electricity to a certain area?

I wonder... is a person's emotional perception controlled only by a certain small part of the brain, and the rest of the brain is to figure out which perception to 'send' to that certain area?

E.g. is there one tiny part of the brain which, if removed, would result in zero consciousness?
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 8:32:22 PM
I dunno. I'm currently feeling as though I'm thinking in complete synchronization with my environment, though. It's pretty funky.

Like I'll want to masturbate just when I shouldn't, for example (lol), or I'll make conversation with non-living objects. It's like my subconscious, timing mind is sick of these inhibitions or something.

Sorry for the offshoot, but as regards your question, well, it sucks.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 11:50:57 AM
At 8/17/2013 7:43:47 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Do you think that certain emotions can be triggered by applying electricity to a certain area?

Yes, electrical stimulation has been used to study localized brain function since the early 1,800s, a broad range of cognitive experiences have been induced by electrode stimulation of various locations in the brain.

I wonder... is a person's emotional perception controlled only by a certain small part of the brain, and the rest of the brain is to figure out which perception to 'send' to that certain area?

In general, the limbic system is the area of the brain that controls emotions, specifically, the Amygdala is a primary brain center that processes of emotions, but emotional states tend to be an entire brain affair.

E.g. is there one tiny part of the brain which, if removed, would result in zero consciousness?

Probably not, the source of consciousness per se has not been localized, there are tiny parts of the brain that if removed will render a person unconscious, but a nonresponsive subject only eliminates any external indication of consciousness, there's no real way to know if the nonresponsive person is experiencing anything.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater