Jump to topic:

This video blew my mind...

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 6:52:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I always knew that the "Big Bang" was a misnomer prone to confusion, and that it wasn't an explosion into space, but rather an expansion of space, but I always visualized it like an inflating balloon. A consequence of this visualization is that the universe is "smaller" earlier on and expands to be "bigger."

The portrayal of this video, with the universe being flat and always infinite, wherein the universe is just as big now as it was then is ... mind boggling. Rather than everything condensing down into a single point, everything was condensing down everywhere.

It's... amazing. It has completely reformed my view to the point I might have to go back and reread all my books with this new mindset.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 7:04:47 AM
Yeah and I don't know about you, but when I think about the big bang I think of a small dot or "singularity" that expands into the space around it too fill it up.

But that doesn't make sense since that dot is all the space there is, there is no where to expand too, which Is why I guess they say something like its space it's self that is expanding, but that expanding of space isn't expanding into some other more empty space.

F*ck it, it's to complicated, God did it, end of story :)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 9:34:14 AM
At 8/21/2013 6:52:50 AM, drafterman wrote:
everything was condensing down everywhere.
Yes, and I agree the name Big Bang doesn't fit. It should be called Middle East.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 12:06:21 AM
I don't imagine the Big Bang as an explosion or a dot. I have a timeline of the universe in my head, and the Big Bang is just the part that I deliberately get confused about when I imagine it.
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 6:03:37 PM

I always knew that the "Big Bang" was a misnomer prone to confusion, and that it wasn't an explosion into space, but rather an expansion of space, but I always visualized it like an inflating balloon. A consequence of this visualization is that the universe is "smaller" earlier on and expands to be "bigger."

The portrayal of this video, with the universe being flat and always infinite, wherein the universe is just as big now as it was then is ... mind boggling. Rather than everything condensing down into a single point, everything was condensing down everywhere.

It's... amazing. It has completely reformed my view to the point I might have to go back and reread all my books with this new mindset.

It doesn't help that the surface of an inflating balloon is often used as an analogy for the expansion of space.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2013 8:27:47 AM

Notice the author admits that the observable universe was condensed to a small amount of space. He states that it was not a point, but he also on the other hand does not quantify how small that space was. The reality is that he does not know. Theory allows it to be a point because the elementary particles are points and have no volume. On the other hand if current theory was complete we would have a better understanding of the "singularity".

The balloon analogy is fine, especially if the universe is not infinite. If the universe is infinite the balloon analogy gets tougher, but still matter is confined to a small amount of space and it shows how things get further apart as space expands.

I think this guy does a disservice. He says the singularity was not a point, but the truth is that he does not know that.
desertdawg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 6:24:03 AM

I like this guy, who ever it was that presented this video, he seems very intelligent and well educated on scientific theories. But he is going to get in trouble with the big bang evolutionary status quo scientific community.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix-
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 6:55:03 AM
At 8/29/2013 6:24:03 AM, desertdawg wrote:

I like this guy, who ever it was that presented this video, he seems very intelligent and well educated on scientific theories. But he is going to get in trouble with the big bang evolutionary status quo scientific community.

Why? And how?
desertdawg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 12:57:35 PM
At 8/29/2013 6:55:03 AM, drafterman wrote:

Why? And how?

I will watch it again but I thought he was disagreeing with the big bang theory.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix-
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:19:45 PM
At 8/29/2013 12:57:35 PM, desertdawg wrote:

Why? And how?

I will watch it again but I thought he was disagreeing with the big bang theory.

Not at all.
desertdawg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 6:35:42 PM
At 8/29/2013 1:19:45 PM, Enji wrote:
At 8/29/2013 12:57:35 PM, desertdawg wrote:

Why? And how?

Not at all.

Oh OK he should be alright then.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 5:49:22 AM

How about this for a re-arrangement of concepts.

http://www.nature.com...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2013 8:36:39 AM
At 8/31/2013 5:49:22 AM, johnlubba wrote:

How about this for a re-arrangement of concepts.

http://www.nature.com...

That is cool. I wonder what the further implications are of gaining mass. Is there a limit? What could the mechanism be and does the standard model and higgs boson support it?