Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Science Help

Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:51:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Can anybody here explain the triangulation number in relation to viral icosahedral capsids ? 'Cause I just don't get it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:51:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well... I kinda get it, but not really.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 8:55:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Are you taking AP bio?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
slo1
Posts: 4,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 10:44:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/27/2013 7:51:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Can anybody here explain the triangulation number in relation to viral icosahedral capsids ? 'Cause I just don't get it.

Take a look at this. It shows the how the ratio of hexagons to pentagons is formed by the h,k or T number before it is folded when you apply a pentagon grid over the entire flattened shape.

http://viperdb.scripps.edu...

1. On the T=3 (1,1) you can see how it forms the face of the hexagon and just a portion-triangle of the adjoining pentagon.

2. If you shift it to a T=7 or the (2,1) then you can see how the hexagon face is formed differently. Although my spatial mind is unable to fold it from there, so I can only tell that it is going to be different than the T3.

What determines the points of the triangle of a 2,1 verus a 1,1 you ask? (T3 versus T7)

It is the number of pentagons between the hexagon face that is formed when you change the h&k and fold it.

This chart will help visualize a T=7 after it is folded.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

1. Three hexagon faces will form a equilateral triangle. The h,k numbers are then the number of pentagon faces formed between the hexagons. In that chart you can see the (2,1) or T=7. The bottom corners of the triangle are two hexagons down and 1 hexagon to the right and left.

Clear like mud.

Fundamentally T = (h+k)^2 - hk
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 11:11:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/27/2013 8:55:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
Are you taking AP bio?

Studying virology in my free time.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 11:13:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/27/2013 10:44:23 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/27/2013 7:51:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Can anybody here explain the triangulation number in relation to viral icosahedral capsids ? 'Cause I just don't get it.

Take a look at this. It shows the how the ratio of hexagons to pentagons is formed by the h,k or T number before it is folded when you apply a pentagon grid over the entire flattened shape.

http://viperdb.scripps.edu...

1. On the T=3 (1,1) you can see how it forms the face of the hexagon and just a portion-triangle of the adjoining pentagon.

2. If you shift it to a T=7 or the (2,1) then you can see how the hexagon face is formed differently. Although my spatial mind is unable to fold it from there, so I can only tell that it is going to be different than the T3.

What determines the points of the triangle of a 2,1 verus a 1,1 you ask? (T3 versus T7)

It is the number of pentagons between the hexagon face that is formed when you change the h&k and fold it.

This chart will help visualize a T=7 after it is folded.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

1. Three hexagon faces will form a equilateral triangle. The h,k numbers are then the number of pentagon faces formed between the hexagons. In that chart you can see the (2,1) or T=7. The bottom corners of the triangle are two hexagons down and 1 hexagon to the right and left.

Clear like mud.

Fundamentally T = (h+k)^2 - hk

Thanks. I always hated geometry.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 6:32:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/27/2013 11:11:15 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/27/2013 8:55:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
Are you taking AP bio?

Studying virology in my free time.

oh wow, why?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 9:56:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 6:32:50 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/27/2013 11:11:15 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/27/2013 8:55:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
Are you taking AP bio?

Studying virology in my free time.

oh wow, why?

Some people read philosophy; I like science (biology, specifically).
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 10:00:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 9:56:32 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/28/2013 6:32:50 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/27/2013 11:11:15 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/27/2013 8:55:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
Are you taking AP bio?

Studying virology in my free time.

oh wow, why?

Some people read philosophy; I like science (biology, specifically).

Me too, well, I like both, but more broadly. Why aren't you taking AP biology then?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 10:15:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 10:00:12 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/28/2013 9:56:32 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/28/2013 6:32:50 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/27/2013 11:11:15 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/27/2013 8:55:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
Are you taking AP bio?

Studying virology in my free time.

oh wow, why?

Some people read philosophy; I like science (biology, specifically).

Me too, well, I like both, but more broadly. Why aren't you taking AP biology then?

I've already taken it. The virus course that I'm taking now is a lot more in depth. If you're interested in science (or other types of courses), check out https://www.coursera.org.... I'm doing https://www.coursera.org....
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 10:27:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 10:15:21 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/28/2013 10:00:12 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/28/2013 9:56:32 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/28/2013 6:32:50 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/27/2013 11:11:15 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/27/2013 8:55:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
Are you taking AP bio?

Studying virology in my free time.

oh wow, why?

Some people read philosophy; I like science (biology, specifically).

Me too, well, I like both, but more broadly. Why aren't you taking AP biology then?

I've already taken it. The virus course that I'm taking now is a lot more in depth. If you're interested in science (or other types of courses), check out https://www.coursera.org.... I'm doing https://www.coursera.org....

wow, I never knew a site like that existed. Thanks for showing me
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 10:29:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 10:27:31 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/28/2013 10:15:21 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/28/2013 10:00:12 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/28/2013 9:56:32 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/28/2013 6:32:50 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/27/2013 11:11:15 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/27/2013 8:55:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
Are you taking AP bio?

Studying virology in my free time.

oh wow, why?

Some people read philosophy; I like science (biology, specifically).

Me too, well, I like both, but more broadly. Why aren't you taking AP biology then?

I've already taken it. The virus course that I'm taking now is a lot more in depth. If you're interested in science (or other types of courses), check out https://www.coursera.org.... I'm doing https://www.coursera.org....

wow, I never knew a site like that existed. Thanks for showing me

Just keep in mind that these are actual university courses, not some random stuff that was put together. Each one takes A LOT of time, so don't sign up for more than one at once (if you have school).
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 5:53:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
how the hell does this confuse yet quantum physics does not. and I am in 10th grade. (I study topics ahead of my peers outside of school)
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 12:15:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/31/2013 5:53:15 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
how the hell does this confuse yet quantum physics does not. and I am in 10th grade. (I study topics ahead of my peers outside of school)

Are you saying its bad that I find it confusing, or that you find it confusing?

In either case, biology is just as challenging and tedious as physics.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 6:26:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/1/2013 12:15:55 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/31/2013 5:53:15 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
how the hell does this confuse yet quantum physics does not. and I am in 10th grade. (I study topics ahead of my peers outside of school)

Are you saying its bad that I find it confusing, or that you find it confusing?

In either case, biology is just as challenging and tedious as physics.

No i am saying that i can understand quantum physics (which is years ahead of my peers, yet i've never been able to really grasp biology at this level.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 10:05:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/1/2013 6:26:33 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/1/2013 12:15:55 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/31/2013 5:53:15 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
how the hell does this confuse yet quantum physics does not. and I am in 10th grade. (I study topics ahead of my peers outside of school)

Are you saying its bad that I find it confusing, or that you find it confusing?

In either case, biology is just as challenging and tedious as physics.

No i am saying that i can understand quantum physics (which is years ahead of my peers, yet i've never been able to really grasp biology at this level.

I seriously doubt that you can understand "quantum physics." Figuring out what is meant by Schrodinger's Cat is a lot different than understanding Schrodinger's equations (which I can guarantee you don't understand): http://www.kentchemistry.com....
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."