Jump to topic:

Mindfreak

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 7:52:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The answer: control. It's all about control. Ice Cube was brought by Mindfreak to want to pick from the side Mindfreak was facing. This was reactance, a thoroughly documented psychological phenomena. And then once Ice Cube was up there, having walked powerfully past Mindfreak, he turned to his right, the most comfortable direction for him, given his right side being most powerful, and chose, of course, a track which he had redone, one over which he had control, and one which Mindfreak had placed there beforehand. Simple.

But then consider this on a larger scale, the whole thing being just about control. Maybe equality might bring about permanent peace, no? I mean paradise. Maybe we're just making games of silly little things and just for that feeling of control, no? Maybe we have no need of these serial killers running around the place chopping pieces off of other people for trophies because they've been so thoroughly crushed by others in our dog-eat-dog world that they feel they must do so to retain some semblance of control - just maybe, no?

Think about it.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 7:57:38 PM
I mean funny how what's considered beautiful has been subject to change throughout the ages, no? But then sex has everyone thinking there's never going to be any chance of equality, forgetting completely that there was a time before their being conditioned that they hadn't any interest in it whatsoever. I mean... dumb.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 8:02:10 PM
It's all about perspective. Why are sunsets and beach scenes beautiful, but landfills aren't? An alien might very well look upon a landfill as something beautiful, no?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 8:03:33 PM
Nah. These things are beautiful for completely incomprehensible reasons and equality is just utterly unfeasible.

Pfft
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 9:04:14 PM
Dynamo meets Oscar Pistorius. 3 months later Oscar Pistorius shoots his girlfriend dead. I wonder...

Nah it's cool, right?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 9:56:35 PM
It's important to remember that about 90% of "mentalism" and "new magic" is just a repackaging of very old tricks, but with a "psychological" explanation behind it.

My guess is the answer is quite a bit simpler than "Criss Angel mentally controlled Ice Cube."

If you want a great example, try and figure out how Psychokinetic Touch works.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 10:08:01 PM
Pretty easy, dude. If you ask someone are they feeling something, they'll generally say that they are. Once again, it's all about control. And then the lady with her eyes closed was thinking this dude's up to something as regards my right arm and hey presto she claims control over it - you won't pull the wool over her eyes! And then notice how he leads the woman with her eyes closed to say twice: he slackens off in saying it himself, offering her control over that word.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 10:11:31 PM
Just watched some Dynamo interviews by the way, and the dude's pretty cool even if I do think he's misguided.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:33:33 PM
At 9/5/2013 10:08:01 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Pretty easy, dude. If you ask someone are they feeling something, they'll generally say that they are. Once again, it's all about control. And then the lady with her eyes closed was thinking this dude's up to something as regards my right arm and hey presto she claims control over it - you won't pull the wool over her eyes! And then notice how he leads the woman with her eyes closed to say twice: he slackens off in saying it himself, offering her control over that word.

That's the "Mentalist" explanation.

Here's the truth:

Remember when he waved his arms over the woman with her eyes closed?

You didn't see it, but he used sleight-of-hand to touch the woman with her eyes closed. Because her eyes are closed, she can't tell how much time has passed. So the magician can touch her at any time once her eyes are closed and as long as he walks quietly (notice the carpet) and touches the other girl, when the first opens her eyes for all she knows the touch came the moment the magician touched the other girl.

If someone had shouted "why are you walking to the other girl" the moment the magician moved from closed eyes girl to open eyed, the closed eyes girl would have realized she was touched BEFORE the open-eyed girl was.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:36:43 PM
At 9/6/2013 1:33:33 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/5/2013 10:08:01 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

That's the "Mentalist" explanation.

Here's the truth:

Remember when he waved his arms over the woman with her eyes closed?

You didn't see it, but he used sleight-of-hand to touch the woman with her eyes closed. Because her eyes are closed, she can't tell how much time has passed. So the magician can touch her at any time once her eyes are closed and as long as he walks quietly (notice the carpet) and touches the other girl, when the first opens her eyes for all she knows the touch came the moment the magician touched the other girl.

If someone had shouted "why are you walking to the other girl" the moment the magician moved from closed eyes girl to open eyed, the closed eyes girl would have realized she was touched BEFORE the open-eyed girl was.

Even the "true mentalist" tricks always have something you don't realize.

For instance, it is true that you can subconsciously read from a volunteer where he or she has placed an object in a crowd.

The "Mentalist" explanation is that someone's eyes and the direction of their feet will tell you where to go.

The actual explanation is that while the person is concentrated on his own eyes and feet, the magician is holding the person's hand and guiding him. A practiced magician can very lightly push the person's hand in a direction, and there will usually be unconscious resistance to that push.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:37:20 PM
At 9/6/2013 1:36:17 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Oh sneaky!

I was pounding my head for weeks trying to figure it out. Had to download all kinds of illegal stuff.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:40:58 PM
Derren Brown has one trick that I am willing to believe is honest-to-god brainwashing.

He managed to get a bunch of middle-managers and artists to commit armed robbery.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:58:45 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty interested in all that stuff myself, Wnope. Did you ever see the one where Derren Brown played all the Chess Grandmasters? That one, I cannot wrap my head around.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 4:08:08 PM
At 9/6/2013 1:59:43 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I'm able to emulate a lot of his other tricks though, and Keith Barry's, too.

There are certain tricks like "forces" that do work. It's just there's usually a much less cool answer than it appears.

When you get good, it's kinda fun to catch them. For instance, there's a high probability that if you ask "think of a number between three and ten" the person will split the difference and think "seven." If you ask someone to quickly name a shape other than a triangle, a majority of people will name a circle or square. A minority will name a x-hedron or rectangle.

Another legitimate concept is the interrupt, where you basically freeze a persons thinking with something bizarre or out of place in order to get some advantage over them. For instance, if an angry drunk is yelling at you, you can say "I live in a house with a four foot wall but I'm thinking of making it three."

The angry drunk will stop, shakes his head a little, and you'll be down the street by the time he's saying "what the f***?"

Another common one is shaking someones hand for several seconds longer than is customary. They'll be more concerned about why they are continuing the handshake than they are of the immediate context.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 4:08:48 PM
And, just so we're clear, Criss Angel uses in-camera tricks for his magic.

Which is why, unlike Derren Brown, I consider him a piece of sh!t illusionist.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 4:12:23 PM
Yeah, I'm not at all impressed by Criss Angel either. Did you ever see the one where Derren Brown uses interrupts to pay with cardboard in shops? Pretty funny.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 4:14:38 PM
I'm pretty sure I accidentally once pulled an interrupt on a girl behind a counter in a shop before by flirting with her a little when she was taking my money. She gave me back exactly what I gave her, lol.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 4:18:40 PM
In Sherlock, too, where he uses an interrupt while fighting a dude, yelling to look at something and pointing in some direction, then knocking the dude out when he looks. They're pretty funny little gamey things.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 4:21:26 PM
And there's the subliminal suggestion of things. I can do a few pretty neat tricks like the ones you're talking about, having people conjure up images of things in their minds.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 4:23:55 PM
That episode of Derren Brown where he brings in the two advertisers and has subliminally planted all their ideas for the project he has for them in their heads beforehand actually owns so hard, too.

The dude should be a politician.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 4:30:26 PM
Or where if you find yourself in a situation similar to one you've been in before memories will always come flooding back from that instance and then progress from there allowing you a pretty good point to follow them from and then hack the mind later on. I have one of my friends convinced I'm a complete and utter magician because of that one, lol.

My old man is actually really good at all these little tricks, too.

Or how you have like a number scale inside your head and how a person can manipulate you, moving you up and down along it. There's a whole lot of insidiousness to most of this sort of manipulation, though.

Or how you have a map inside your head which you can be moved along, bringing up memories/thoughts also.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 4:33:07 PM
Or where if you have a person suppress one thing you can have them speak of another thing much easier ;D