According to Atheists

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 8:22:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
That's a false comparison.

There's no proof that God exists. However, there is evidence that Obama exists.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 10:04:03 PM
Well, if you start hearing Obama's voice in your head, you're generally in more trouble than the people who don't think Obama exists.
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 6:15:16 AM
The reason that atheists question the existence of a god is because they believe there is no evidence to support a claim that flies in the face of common experience. The reason people (well most people) do not question the existence of Barack Obama is because evidence suggests he is real. After all, God isn't president of the USA
These are not the droids you're looking for.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 4:15:30 PM
At 9/7/2013 7:34:19 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
The fact I have never seen Obama in person or talked to him on the phone means that I should question his existence.

I think this is a puerile understanding of the atheist's position. Although sometimes poorly articulated in such a way, the atheist position is not "I do not believe God exists because I personally have never heard his voice". But rather that there is no empirical evidence of his existence, and that in the absence of such evidence we should disbelieve in the existence of God or god(s).
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 7:46:58 PM
The fact I have never seen Obama in person or talked to him on the phone means that I should question his existence.

Sure, you should question everything. But if you did wish to test a theory that he did exist you could do so: you could attend a speech or other event at which he is present to prove/disprove your theory. I have no such luxury with any of the god(s), I just have to take someone's word on it.

Another point is that Obama is a human. The claim that a particular person exists is not extraordinary. To claim that a person exists (especially with all the second hand evidence of that persons existence) is completely different than claiming a Martian, Yeti, ghost, or deity exists.
Quan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 1:16:39 PM

Technically I can talk Obama on the phone or in person to verify his existence, among all of the other evidence already available. Talking to god on the phone is not even an option, because he doesn't exist.
tahir.imanov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 3:17:25 PM

Have you ever seen the Dark Side of the Moon in "person"?
This is red.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 7:27:15 PM
Wrong, idiot.

Because:

1) The claim that Obama exists is not an extraordinary one, therefore extraordinary evidence is unproven

2) Who said face-to-face contact is required? You've seen him on television, or rather you have seen someone who is purported to be Barack Obama. Which is basically all the criteria required for him to be Barack Obama.

3) There is a mountain of supporting, independent third-party evidence of his existence, and no contradictory evidence of his non-existence

ie:

- There is a sitting president of the United States of America (someone must currently hold that office)
- All records and secondary evidence shows this position to be occupied by a man who is referred to exclusively as Barack Hussein Obama
- Barack Hussein Obama is defined as a 52 year-old man of both African American and Caucasian American descent. All televisual and photographic documentation shows a man by this description, and always the same man.
- No other claims have been put forth stating that the Office is held by a different person
- Due to the weight of evidence, Occam's Razor leads us to the conclusion that Barack Hussein Obama is the president of the United States of America

Now, see if you can apply that same logical process to God's existence :P
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 3:56:17 PM
When people ask God a question they believe they hear the answer, whereas in reality nothing is actually communicated. Whereas with President Obama when people ask a question ... oh, never mind.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 7:22:59 AM

Sure, question everything. What kind of proof do you think would make you very sure that Obama exists?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 12:35:48 PM
At 9/18/2013 3:56:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
When people ask God a question they believe they hear the answer, whereas in reality nothing is actually communicated. Whereas with President Obama when people ask a question ... oh, never mind.

lol.
VainApocalypse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 4:17:22 PM

Occam's razor. The proposition with the fewest assumptions is the safest to assume.

You know people exist.
You know people of African descent exist.
You know people who are parents exist.
You know people who graduate law school exist.
You know people who are elected to public office exist.

From there, you have only to assume that the alleged Obama is an instance of such a people. It's a single assumption. Assuming the contrary would require more assumptions, as you'd have to assume a massive conspiracy supported by hundreds of organizations, thousands of hours of video, tens of thousands of people and innumerable records.

In the case of God:

You know personal agents exist.
You DON'T know that omnipotent agents exist
You DON'T know that eternal agents exist.
You DON'T know that nonmaterial agents exist.
You DON'T know that omnipotent, eternal, nonmaterial agents interact with our world.

The list goes on.