Jump to topic:

Adrenaline

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 11:17:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Would it be possible to boost cardiovascular fitness by injecting yourself with small amounts of adrenalin, thus simulating the body's response to exercise, while not actually exercising?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 6:54:15 PM
bumpity bump
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 7:07:22 PM
At 9/14/2013 11:17:04 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Would it be possible to boost cardiovascular fitness by injecting yourself with small amounts of adrenalin, thus simulating the body's response to exercise, while not actually exercising?

Adrenalin increases breathing and heart rate, while slowing the gastrointestinal tract. Using it continuously would cause problems.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 8:04:47 PM
At 9/14/2013 7:07:22 PM, Jack212 wrote:

Adrenalin increases breathing and heart rate, while slowing the gastrointestinal tract. Using it continuously would cause problems.

Doesn't the same thing happen during exercise? Blood is diverted from digestion to skeletal muscles?

I'm not talking about using it 24/7; I'm talking about it being a replacement for cardiovascular exercise.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 8:05:41 PM
The only negative that I can foresee is immunity or resistance to adrenaline in the same way that people become immune or resistant to insulin.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 9:56:37 PM
At 9/14/2013 8:04:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Doesn't the same thing happen during exercise? Blood is diverted from digestion to skeletal muscles?

I'm not talking about using it 24/7; I'm talking about it being a replacement for cardiovascular exercise.

In theory, yes. In practice, no. There's always something you've overlooked in theory that bites you in practice.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 10:22:30 PM
At 9/14/2013 9:56:37 PM, Jack212 wrote:

In theory, yes. In practice, no. There's always something you've overlooked in theory that bites you in practice.

That's what mice are for.

Now only to get my hands on some andrenaline.....lol. Probably a tad harder than it sounds.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 1:04:13 PM

It would be possible to do that, but it wouldn't simulate exercise, what it would simulate is a fight or flight syndrome. It would be like getting the physical effects of stress without the stress, and that's very bad for your health. Perhaps you've heard the phrase stress kills, physically simulating stress isn't something you want to do.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 1:18:04 PM
At 9/14/2013 10:22:30 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/14/2013 9:56:37 PM, Jack212 wrote:

That's what mice are for.

Now only to get my hands on some andrenaline.....lol. Probably a tad harder than it sounds.

Not hard at all, it's available over the counter in a ton of drugs, typically bronchodilators, it's called epinephrine in the drug store. I don't know if they still make it, but t was the active ingredient in Primatine Mist and a dozen or so other OTC asthma products.

How about this, you don't actually need to try to simulate exercise, all you have to do is get up off your @ss and do it.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2013 1:24:01 PM
At 9/15/2013 1:04:13 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

It would be possible to do that, but it wouldn't simulate exercise, what it would simulate is a fight or flight syndrome. It would be like getting the physical effects of stress without the stress, and that's very bad for your health. Perhaps you've heard the phrase stress kills, physically simulating stress isn't something you want to do.

"Endogenous plasma adrenaline concentrations in resting adults are normally less than 10 ng/L, but may increase by 10-fold during exercise and by 50-fold or more during times of stress"

It seems as if exercise itself stimulates a "fight-or-flight response." As long as you keep it at around 10x, it shouldn't do any of the damage that stress does.