Jump to topic:

My head is spinning.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 8:09:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Looks interesting. Very, very, weird. But interesting none the less. I'll see about finding one of his books in a library. Any suggestions for a specific one?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 10:51:22 PM
At 9/20/2013 8:09:27 AM, muzebreak wrote:
Looks interesting. Very, very, weird. But interesting none the less. I'll see about finding one of his books in a library. Any suggestions for a specific one?

Permutation City is the best sci-fi book ever written. If you read it, play Conway's game of life and read a bit about quantum immortality (specifically Tegmark's objection to it) if you don't want to get hopelessly lost.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 10:52:19 PM
And I don't think he's well known at all in the states, so if you live there you'd probably have to ask the library to order it.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 10:58:43 PM
At 9/22/2013 3:09:06 PM, Wnope wrote:
I've read Distress and Quarantine by him. Great stuff.

I haven't read either, though I have read PM, Axiomatic, and Incandescence. Aside from the unbelievably hard science, his more down-to-Earth books read a bit like those Richard Bachman novels. Similar tone and plot; cruel humor, a bit of frustration and injustice sprinkled throughout, casual slaughter, etc. I love it.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:25:14 PM
At 9/22/2013 10:58:43 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 9/22/2013 3:09:06 PM, Wnope wrote:
I've read Distress and Quarantine by him. Great stuff.

I haven't read either, though I have read PM, Axiomatic, and Incandescence. Aside from the unbelievably hard science, his more down-to-Earth books read a bit like those Richard Bachman novels. Similar tone and plot; cruel humor, a bit of frustration and injustice sprinkled throughout, casual slaughter, etc. I love it.

I read a bit of Dark Integers, he has his own version of football where players have to utilize quantum physics to move the ball.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 7:08:04 AM
At 9/22/2013 10:51:22 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 9/20/2013 8:09:27 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Permutation City is the best sci-fi book ever written. If you read it, play Conway's game of life

Did that a long time ago. A very interesting concept.

and read a bit about quantum immortality (specifically Tegmark's objection to it) if you don't want to get hopelessly lost.

Not sure I understand it, but it's done now.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.