Jump to topic:

Greek Eyes Proof of Evolution?

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 4:08:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
In Homers Illiad and Odyssey, he only mentions colours such as Bronze, which are generalisations not of actual colour that we perceive but rather characteristics of something. He called the sky bronze as it was shiny, like the sheen of a shield.

Anyhow, it's hypothesised because of this the ancient Greeks lacked the ability to distinguish colours like we do, and since then we have developed to perceive colours.

Thoughts?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 4:12:29 PM
Homer is believed to have been a blind Greek poet.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 4:13:29 PM
No...

Epic poems with Gods, Goddesses, miracles, et cetera do not prove evolution. Probably just metaphorical language
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:36:54 PM
It was a Greek affection to call the sky bronze (no true word for blue, more indications of brightness/darkness e.g.), so not just Homer. When he refers to a bronze sky, it most likely indicates a bright sky.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 9:55:08 AM
The sky was probably a different color then, since all the water from the Great Flood was still in the sky.

Just kidding. But this isn't an indication of evolution at work. I'm fairly certain even more ancient cultures, like the ancient sumerians, worked diligently making paints and pigments of various colors.

Our closest primate ancestors also have the ability to distinguish between all the same colors as us (red, green, blue) due to having the same trichromatic cones in their eyes.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 10:00:30 AM
Right, but these are the only colours he references. He also uses Cyan to describe hair, and yellow-green to describe honey.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 10:10:13 AM
At 12/23/2009 10:00:30 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Right, but these are the only colours he references. He also uses Cyan to describe hair, and yellow-green to describe honey.

A lot of people think it might be because he was blind.

http://www.google.co.uk...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 10:13:45 AM
At 12/23/2009 10:10:13 AM, feverish wrote:
At 12/23/2009 10:00:30 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

A lot of people think it might be because he was blind.

http://www.google.co.uk...

"but modern scholars are skeptical: no reliable biographical information has been handed down from classical antiquity, and the poems themselves manifestly represent the culmination of many centuries of oral story-telling and a well-developed "formulaic" system of poetic composition."

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 4:45:50 PM
What is Greek now, is not Greek from Homer's time. That language usage died out before the 15th century, becoming subsumed under Koine and Byzantium Greek, which was modified to the modern Greek spoken now.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 6:48:22 AM
Well, a few comments:

1.) From what I have read, all great apes share similar color vision which would point to this being an inhereted trait from our common ancestor, not something that evolved in humans in the last 5,000 years.

2.) Forming a scientific hypothesis based on a very small selection of ancient writings in general isn't a good idea. Otherwise, we also must hypothesize that snakes can talk or that a great flood covered the entire world not too long ago.

I think Homer's use of colors would be much more likely explained as artistic license, metaphorical, or differences in language and translation.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 6:50:52 AM
The ancient Greeks made art work composed of a myriad of colours, it does not seem that they were colour blind.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 7:14:29 AM
Or could it be that Homer was simply a half-literate retard who couldn't spell properly?

After all it is a lot easier to spell "bronze" in ancient Greek "blue". Probably.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 9:37:06 AM
At 12/22/2009 4:12:29 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Homer is believed to have been a blind Greek poet.

This made me laugh so hard XD

Vi has a point. Homer was *blind*. Making generalized assumptions about the eyesight of the Greeks based on the stories of a blind man seems a little far-fetched.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.