Jump to topic:

Russia to Deflect Giant Asteroid

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 7:54:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yep, you heard (well, read) right - Russia is going to save the planet! Dare criticize the Motherland now!?

But, really, Russia is planning on sending up a spacecraft of some sort to "nudge" the asteroid Apophis, which has a one-in-250,000 chance of hitting the Earth - apparently odds that the Russian's aren't willing to take (probably because someone said there was a one-in-250,000 chance of the Soviet Union collapsing).

The details are a little fuzzy, but apparently the idea is that a relatively small mass, like a small car, smashing into the asteroid at a certain trajectory, would be able to nudge it off course just enough that within 75 days, it wouldn't have any chance of hitting the planet.

So, here's the question to all of you physics nuts: how smart is this idea?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 7:59:11 AM
I don't see how it could be a bad idea, a little nudge from far enough away should make it miss easily. And I can't see how it would endanger us.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:02:55 AM
At 12/31/2009 7:59:11 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I don't see how it could be a bad idea, a little nudge from far enough away should make it miss easily. And I can't see how it would endanger us.

True, but is it doable? I mean, I'd suspect this kind of mission would be pretty expensive and pretty daunting. It may not have the fate of the Earth on the line, but it is still pretty scary. Would smashing a car-size craft actually be worth it?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:09:50 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:02:55 AM, Volkov wrote:

True, but is it doable? I mean, I'd suspect this kind of mission would be pretty expensive and pretty daunting. It may not have the fate of the Earth on the line, but it is still pretty scary. Would smashing a car-size craft actually be worth it?

I think it all depends on how much force the Russian craft/projectile has, and of course where is strikes. It is a pretty nifty idea, so long as it actually works.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:13:53 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:02:55 AM, Volkov wrote:

a lot of money, but then again so is sending someone to the moon and everything else we do in space.And this project has the best chance (1/250,000) of something useful coming out of it.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:16:15 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:09:50 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I think it all depends on how much force the Russian craft/projectile has, and of course where is strikes. It is a pretty nifty idea, so long as it actually works.

I agree. However, some people are wondering whether or not its worth it to tamper with the asteroid, given that now I found it there is actually a one-in-330,000 chance of it hitting the planet. Can you imagine if it worked, only to find out the Russians screwed it up for us? This thing does make two passes - once in 2029, and once in 2036 (I think), the latter of which is like an one-in-four-million chance of hitting the planet.

Still, I suppose it could be worth it just to see if it'll work. God knows we'll probably need this kind of thing one day, because I can't imagine an asteroid isn't far off from targeting us.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:25:46 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:16:15 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/31/2009 8:09:50 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I agree. However, some people are wondering whether or not its worth it to tamper with the asteroid, given that now I found it there is actually a one-in-330,000 chance of it hitting the planet. Can you imagine if it worked, only to find out the Russians screwed it up for us? This thing does make two passes - once in 2029, and once in 2036 (I think), the latter of which is like an one-in-four-million chance of hitting the planet.

Still, I suppose it could be worth it just to see if it'll work. God knows we'll probably need this kind of thing one day, because I can't imagine an asteroid isn't far off from targeting us.

The thing I don't understand is that surely with all our technology we would be able to accurately predict it's path and predict ahead by centuries to see if it is going to strike us.

When we talk of odds we are really speaking from a position of ignorance, which is worrying when we then act on it.

That aside I am more in favour of this than not. Have you heard of the Tunguska incident, when in 1908 an asteroid (well thats the consensus) crashed into siberia, if it had struck 4 hours earlier (or later I forget) it would have destroyed St Petersburg. Someone really should write a novel based on that premise.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:31:30 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:25:46 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
The thing I don't understand is that surely with all our technology we would be able to accurately predict it's path and predict ahead by centuries to see if it is going to strike us.

Well, you'd think, but they don't get it right all the time. It isn't really like there is a giant radar up in space that can track it; they use telescopes and trajectory headings. The technology isn't that advanced. It's all mathematical odds and hopes in Hell.

When we talk of odds we are really speaking from a position of ignorance, which is worrying when we then act on it.

That aside I am more in favour of this than not. Have you heard of the Tunguska incident, when in 1908 an asteroid (well thats the consensus) crashed into siberia, if it had struck 4 hours earlier (or later I forget) it would have destroyed St Petersburg. Someone really should write a novel based on that premise.

Hm, good point. I suppose its better to take the risk, especially if the potential loss is great if you do nothing. I do know of Tunguska, including the various other explanations, including reptillian spacecraft. xD However, Apophis would probably obliterate a lot more than just St. Petersburg, and I can understand why deciding to do this would have many, many potential benefits, even outside of the realm of, well, not dying.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:36:28 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:31:30 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/31/2009 8:25:46 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Well, you'd think, but they don't get it right all the time. It isn't really like there is a giant radar up in space that can track it; they use telescopes and trajectory headings. The technology isn't that advanced. It's all mathematical odds and hopes in Hell.

Yea I suppose so, I am kinda ignoring the complexities of the matter!

Hm, good point. I suppose its better to take the risk, especially if the potential loss is great if you do nothing. I do know of Tunguska, including the various other explanations, including reptillian spacecraft. xD However, Apophis would probably obliterate a lot more than just St. Petersburg, and I can understand why deciding to do this would have many, many potential benefits, even outside of the realm of, well, not dying.

I've not looked up the stats on apophis, but it worries me that 'apophis' just sounds so right for the name of an asteroid that is to wipe out all life.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:36:52 AM
At 12/31/2009 7:54:41 AM, Volkov wrote:
So, here's the question to all of you physics nuts: how smart is this idea?

I'm putting money that they screw it up and nudge it towards us.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:40:19 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:36:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I've not looked up the stats on apophis, but it worries me that 'apophis' just sounds so right for the name of an asteroid that is to wipe out all life.

Haha, I remember watching a Discovery Channel show about Apophis specifically, and thought the exact same thing. xD Just too well named, you know? Had they called it "AR-7219," I'd feel a little safer.

At 12/31/2009 8:36:52 AM, johngriswald wrote:

Probably. They're asking for international assistance, as to spread the blame. xD
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:42:10 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:36:52 AM, johngriswald wrote:

lol, I'd take that bet. Either the world is AOK and I get money, or I have to give it up after the world gets effed up which would make money pretty much worthless.

Metaphysics:
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:44:05 AM
Apophis is really a reptilian space cruiser designed to look like an asteroid. There is also an illuminati base hidden on the side that is facing away from us. This is nothing short of a plot for a New World Order.

The Russian space craft isn't going up there to nudge an asteroid... It is going up there to pick up our NWO Dictator!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:45:42 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:40:19 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/31/2009 8:36:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Haha, I remember watching a Discovery Channel show about Apophis specifically, and thought the exact same thing. xD Just too well named, you know? Had they called it "AR-7219," I'd feel a little safer.

I reckon it probably was called that but they changed the name, everything has to be sexed up these days!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 8:47:35 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:44:05 AM, JBlake wrote:
Apophis is really a reptilian space cruiser designed to look like an asteroid. There is also an illuminati base hidden on the side that is facing away from us. This is nothing short of a plot for a New World Order.

The Russian space craft isn't going up there to nudge an asteroid... It is going up there to pick up our NWO Dictator!

This just reminded me: I'm watching Glenn Beck tonight to see if he says anything about this. Who wants to hedge a bet that it'll be similar to what JBlake just said?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:41:52 AM
At 12/31/2009 8:44:05 AM, JBlake wrote:

It's a space cruiser alright, but it belongs to the Goa'uld. Now that the show's off the air, Lord Apophis has his sights set on Earth. You think it's a coincidence that the Russians had the second stargate?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:48:36 AM
Ehh, I'd be surprised if they used a space vehicle of some kind. I expect an ICBM or something completely unnecessary. Should be interesting. Either way, I want Al Gore to count all the fossil fuels destroying the o-zone and what-not for whatever the Russians do.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:58:11 AM
At 12/31/2009 10:48:36 AM, Nags wrote:
Ehh, I'd be surprised if they used a space vehicle of some kind. I expect an ICBM or something completely unnecessary. Should be interesting. Either way, I want Al Gore to count all the fossil fuels destroying the o-zone and what-not for whatever the Russians do.

Don't you know? Al Gore is a communist. http://www.aim.org...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 5:01:18 PM
At 1/4/2010 4:43:55 PM, MistahKurtz wrote:
Naw man, bad idea. We don't want to start pissing off asteroids, they're big mothereffers.

They'll only take out Texas, no worries. http://www.space.com...
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 11:55:09 PM
Anything is worth a shot just to gain experience...

Although it is a bit misleading to say this will be of much help in the future, as our biggest problem, if a meteor was impending, would be seeing it, not trying to hit it. Statistically speaking, we most likely would not notice a civilization-ending meteor before it got closer than the moon is. Just because we spotted this one, doesn't mean there isn't a hundred more of them that are just as close on different trajectories as we speak.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2010 3:29:10 AM
At 1/18/2010 11:55:09 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Anything is worth a shot just to gain experience...

I think you should be banned from farms.

Although it is a bit misleading to say this will be of much help in the future, as our biggest problem, if a meteor was impending, would be seeing it, not trying to hit it. Statistically speaking, we most likely would not notice a civilization-ending meteor before it got closer than the moon is. Just because we spotted this one, doesn't mean there isn't a hundred more of them that are just as close on different trajectories as we speak.

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 5:57:25 PM
Can we trust the Russians?!?! Now that is a bigger question 0.0

Though if we want to go move asteroids why not, I mean...moving giant rocks that upon impact could kill us all...what could go wrong right? =]
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?