Jump to topic:

Subconscious Knowing

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 3:51:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In Red Dragon Hannibal Lecter throws a party for a group of musicians, feeding them one of their own who was not up to his standards. As the conversation goes, however, with talk of being hogs of Epicurus' herd and so on, it comes back to Hannibal Lecter, right after another has spoken of feeling relieved, right after another has "confessed" his darkness, to confess himself as regards what it is that the musicians are eating. This, I thought, was profound, as I have often been confronted with such happenings, people seeming to speak my mind for me, but oblivious as regards the true import of what they're saying. It seems to me that everyone is truly hugely calculating but unable to actually process these calculations consciously, just getting vague suggestions from their subconscious minds. Anyone else have any experience of this?

It's at the very start of the movie if anyone is interested.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 3:58:17 PM
What.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:05:37 PM
At 11/9/2013 3:58:17 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
What.

Derren Brown actually utilises this phenomenon in one of his tricks in having the two being tricked look at each other throughout the entire thing while he stares at their shoes. Both of them start thinking of shoes, trying to control him over his controlling them, and neither of them have any idea as to why.

What I'm talking about is much more profound though. It's often as though my mind is talking to me through other people. It can be quite freaky sometimes. What I'm talking about is the extreme precision of subconscious knowing.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:06:59 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:05:37 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 11/9/2013 3:58:17 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
What.

Derren Brown actually utilises this phenomenon in one of his tricks in having the two being tricked look at each other throughout the entire thing while he stares at their shoes. Both of them start thinking of shoes, trying to control him over his controlling them, and neither of them have any idea as to why.

What I'm talking about is much more profound though. It's often as though my mind is talking to me through other people. It can be quite freaky sometimes. What I'm talking about is the extreme precision of subconscious knowing.

I'm sorry, what.

May the best man win!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:08:15 PM
This extreme precision, I believe, is documented in that scene of Red Dragon, a movie about a monstrous and genius psychologist. I can't make it much clearer, Albino.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:11:27 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:08:36 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

You sort of stopped making sense after "red dragon"
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:12:35 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:11:27 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

No I didn't. Perhaps it's a bit above your level of comprehension though.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:16:03 PM
At 11/9/2013 3:51:32 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
In Red Dragon Hannibal Lecter throws a party for a group of musicians, feeding them one of their own who was not up to his standards.

As the conversation goes, however, with talk of being hogs of Epicurus' herd and so :on, it comes back to Hannibal Lecter,
...right after another has spoken of feeling relieved,
...right after another has "confessed" his darkness,
...to confess himself as regards what it is that the musicians are eating.

This, I thought, was profound, as I have often been confronted with such happenings, people seeming to speak my mind for me,

Speak your mind for you?

but oblivious as regards the true import of what they're saying. It seems to me that everyone is truly hugely calculating but unable to actually process these calculations consciously, just getting vague suggestions from their subconscious minds. Anyone else have any experience of this?

So people have vast amount of intelligence in their subconscious?

Ok.

May the best man win!
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:20:18 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:12:35 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I have difficulty reading English that reads like it has been translated to Chinese and back again.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:22:39 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:16:03 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
In Red Dragon Hannibal Lecter throws a party for a group of musicians, feeding them one of their own who was not up to his standards.

As the conversation goes, however, with talk of being hogs of Epicurus' herd and so :on, it comes back to Hannibal Lecter,

This, I thought, was profound, as I have often been confronted with such happenings, people seeming to speak my mind for me,

Speak your mind for you?

Yes, somewhat. It's more that they're getting suggestions from their subconscious without consciously realising the import of those suggestions, and then using them otherwise to how they'd more intelligently be used. And so a person can appear to know what you're thinking without actually properly knowing, just a part of them knowing......and a rather stupid part besides it's amazing powers of calculation.

To help you believe, imagine the amount of calculations that go into crossing the road even. We're the most amazing machine in the universe.

but oblivious as regards the true import of what they're saying. It seems to me that everyone is truly hugely calculating but unable to actually process these calculations consciously, just getting vague suggestions from their subconscious minds. Anyone else have any experience of this?

Yes. For example I'm pretty sure that we all have photographic memories but that most people are unable to consciously process them.

Ok.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:24:57 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:20:18 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 11/9/2013 4:12:35 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I have difficulty reading English that reads like it has been translated to Chinese and back again.

What's wrong with it, do tell? If you'd watch the movie scene it might make more sense.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:26:04 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:22:39 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Speak your mind for you?

Yes, somewhat. It's more that they're getting suggestions from their subconscious without consciously realising the import of those suggestions, and then using them otherwise to how they'd more intelligently be used. And so a person can appear to know what you're thinking without actually properly knowing, just a part of them knowing......and a rather stupid part besides it's amazing powers of calculation.

I don't understand?

To help you believe, imagine the amount of calculations that go into crossing the road even. We're the most amazing machine in the universe.

Well yeah.

Yes. For example I'm pretty sure that we all have photographic memories but that most people are unable to consciously process them.

Maybe.

Ok.

May the best man win!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:40:24 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:26:04 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 11/9/2013 4:22:39 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Speak your mind for you?

I don't understand?

If you'll watch the movie scene you might better understand. One dude talks of Hannibal's ridding them of their poorly performing partner, he "confesses" his relief at this happening, and then Hannibal himself is asked to confess: Hannibal, confess. What is it that we're eating? What they're eating actually being that poorly performing partner. I'm talking about profound insights as regards people's feelings that aren't being consciously processed, only subconsciously processed.

This phenomenon actually freaks me out quite regularly lol

Well yeah.

Maybe.

Ok.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:45:19 PM
I also don't believe there's any such thing as an accident, not really. Tip for being a master poker player: get over your existential separation anxiety.