Sasquatch

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 12:07:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Does it exist? First, allow me to define "sasquatch":

"A large, hairy ape-like creature, in a range of 2"3 m (6.6-9.8 ft) tall, weighing in excess of 500 pounds (230 kg), and covered in dark brown or dark reddish hair."

Clearly, this is only a vague definition, but it is as specific as people tend to get. Do you believe in sasquatch? Personally, I don't, although I used to. (Although I did, consequently, discover that doing one's research AFTER watching a documentary helps.)

Do you?
MoralityProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 4:56:20 PM
At 11/21/2013 12:07:11 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

"A large, hairy ape-like creature, in a range of 2"3 m (6.6-9.8 ft) tall, weighing in excess of 500 pounds (230 kg), and covered in dark brown or dark reddish hair."

Clearly, this is only a vague definition, but it is as specific as people tend to get. Do you believe in sasquatch? Personally, I don't, although I used to. (Although I did, consequently, discover that doing one's research AFTER watching a documentary helps.)

Do you?

I never used to believe in the existence of the Sasquatch, more commonly know as 'Bigfoot', and still don't. But between those two stages :D, I had to write an essay on it. I went into the report without a doubt of the Sasquatch's non-existence and left the report with the thought that its existence is unlikely.

While there is some evidence, I'm not sure how reliable it actually is. (Some reviews of the Patterson-Gimlin film critics seem to have valid points about the gait and movement of what appears to be a hernia on the Sasquatch's leg.)

And though the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO) offers reasons why we haven't found the remains of a Bigfoot or ever had Sasquatch road kill, they seem to bring up more questions then they do answers. Like, why haven't we found the remains of a Bigfoot? Why hasn't there been any Sasquatch road kill? The answers to these questions are distinctly ambiguous. Like, 'well there are so few credible sightings that the chances of one getting hit by a car are minuscule, to say the least'. Or, 'no one has ever done any serious work to look for remains of a Sasquatch and they are so rare that only a tiny fraction will die in locations that will preserve them'.

Interesting, but it sounds kind of like Russell's Teapot to me.

Another point is that the quantity of sightings in general increases with population numbers. It is interesting to note that all states with over 100 sightings (within the exception of one) are in the top 13 in regards to population. For example, California, the state with the largest population, has over 400 sightings while neighboring state Nevada (number 36 in population) has only 8 sightings. It would seem that if the Sasquatch were real, sightings would appear regionally, and not according to which state has more people.

On the other hand, I wouldn't dismiss the idea entirely nor would I place any bets on the non-existence of the creature. Should some show concrete, credible evidence of its existence, I would have no problem believing them.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 5:16:45 PM

Do you?

I didn't used to, but you just described one of my neighbors....so yes.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 11:15:01 AM
At 11/21/2013 4:56:20 PM, MoralityProfessor wrote:

Do you?

I never used to believe in the existence of the Sasquatch, more commonly know as 'Bigfoot', and still don't. But between those two stages :D, I had to write an essay on it. I went into the report without a doubt of the Sasquatch's non-existence and left the report with the thought that its existence is unlikely.

While there is some evidence, I'm not sure how reliable it actually is. (Some reviews of the Patterson-Gimlin film critics seem to have valid points about the gait and movement of what appears to be a hernia on the Sasquatch's leg.)

And though the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO) offers reasons why we haven't found the remains of a Bigfoot or ever had Sasquatch road kill, they seem to bring up more questions then they do answers. Like, why haven't we found the remains of a Bigfoot? Why hasn't there been any Sasquatch road kill? The answers to these questions are distinctly ambiguous. Like, 'well there are so few credible sightings that the chances of one getting hit by a car are minuscule, to say the least'. Or, 'no one has ever done any serious work to look for remains of a Sasquatch and they are so rare that only a tiny fraction will die in locations that will preserve them'.

Interesting, but it sounds kind of like Russell's Teapot to me.

Another point is that the quantity of sightings in general increases with population numbers. It is interesting to note that all states with over 100 sightings (within the exception of one) are in the top 13 in regards to population. For example, California, the state with the largest population, has over 400 sightings while neighboring state Nevada (number 36 in population) has only 8 sightings. It would seem that if the Sasquatch were real, sightings would appear regionally, and not according to which state has more people.

On the other hand, I wouldn't dismiss the idea entirely nor would I place any bets on the non-existence of the creature. Should some show concrete, credible evidence of its existence, I would have no problem believing them.

Interesting. Yes, I think that we would have seen some evidence that is unique past old footage. Of course, I am inclined to deny sasquatch's existence, as defined, but that's not to say that I disbelieve in the chance of some undiscovered primate in Canada/Northern USA...
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 7:43:02 AM

Do you?

I want the suit the guy wore in the grainy video for next Halloween.

However, its highly unlikely as holds for UFOs all the footage is old,shaky and grainy. Even in a world with high resolution everything we never seem to get good photos/video. That is the bigger mystery if you ask me.
MoralityProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 9:49:18 AM
At 11/23/2013 7:43:02 AM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:

Do you?

However, its highly unlikely as holds for UFOs all the footage is old,shaky and grainy. Even in a world with high resolution everything we never seem to get good photos/video. That is the bigger mystery if you ask me.

Not a mystery at all, according to late comedian, Mitch Hedberg. He maintains: the problem is that Bigfoot is blurry. It's not the cameras - it's the creature. A large, out of focus, monster running around.

On a serious note, though, the BFRO answers that question. Something about how most meetings are chance meetings, most people don't have cameras with them when it happens, and they're so startled they don't have time to take a good quality picture.

They really seem to be excuses more than reasons, to be honest.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 6:30:49 PM
At 11/23/2013 9:49:18 AM, MoralityProfessor wrote:
At 11/23/2013 7:43:02 AM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:

Do you?

Not a mystery at all, according to late comedian, Mitch Hedberg. He maintains: the problem is that Bigfoot is blurry. It's not the cameras - it's the creature. A large, out of focus, monster running around.

On a serious note, though, the BFRO answers that question. Something about how most meetings are chance meetings, most people don't have cameras with them when it happens, and they're so startled they don't have time to take a good quality picture.

They really seem to be excuses more than reasons, to be honest.

I agree they really seem to be excuses, especially in the last few years every mobile phone has a camera in it.