leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 4:06:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/6/2010 4:00:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Whoa! http://news.bbc.co.uk...

That's pretty cool, but I don't get the beach ball comparison? It's basically just a flattened sphere so why resort to the comparison of a beach ball in particular? Do the red, white and green colours represent anything (i.e. relative concentration of dark matter in those areas) or was it just placed there for people who can't picture a beach ball?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 4:08:05 PM
Why don't they just call it ball-shaped or spherical? Beach-ball-shaped is a little bit redundant, like saying "It is the colour of a car that is red."
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 4:08:46 PM
At 1/6/2010 4:06:11 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

That's pretty cool, but I don't get the beach ball comparison? It's basically just a flattened sphere so why resort to the comparison of a beach ball in particular? Do the red, white and green colours represent anything (i.e. relative concentration of dark matter in those areas) or was it just placed there for people who can't picture a beach ball?

Damn you.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 4:09:03 PM

Yeah the colours are to represent the ball.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 4:12:53 PM
At 1/6/2010 4:10:26 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
OMGGGGGGG. MAYBE DARK MATTER IS LIKE... GOD. THAT'S WHY WE CAN'T SEE IT, BUT IT'S ALWAYS THERE!!!! ZOMG MY RELIGION WINS.

I figured that I would get that in just in case someone tried to say it. I've heard that "argument" in previous experience.

So when are we harvesting the dark matter for the death star?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 4:18:34 PM
At 1/6/2010 4:12:53 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/6/2010 4:10:26 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
OMGGGGGGG. MAYBE DARK MATTER IS LIKE... GOD. THAT'S WHY WE CAN'T SEE IT, BUT IT'S ALWAYS THERE!!!! ZOMG MY RELIGION WINS.

I figured that I would get that in just in case someone tried to say it. I've heard that "argument" in previous experience.

So when are we harvesting the dark matter for the death star?

As soon as we find a planet of Nibblers so we can farm their feces. :)
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 4:19:07 PM
At 1/6/2010 4:09:03 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Yeah the colours are to represent the ball.

That's pretty stupid of whoever did that. Trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator I suppose.

Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 5:08:13 PM
At 1/6/2010 4:19:07 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

That's pretty stupid of whoever did that. Trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator I suppose.

The whole exercise is a little bit silly. All they have done is mapped gravitational pull. Saying it's dark matter is akin to saying it's flurble. Dark matter is a placeholder term for we don't know what the heck is really happening or what it is.