Jump to topic:

do you like Science?

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 8:29:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I liked science until I got to high school, and things weren't just common sense and memorization. Chemistry and physics are hard. D;
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 8:44:20 PM
I love science; I do not do well with dissections though. Dismembering animals is one of the reasons I never thought to get a biology degree. I simply cannot do that on a regular basis.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
bonnieluvs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 8:45:19 PM
At 1/8/2010 8:44:20 PM, sherlockmethod wrote:
I love science; I do not do well with dissections though. Dismembering animals is one of the reasons I never thought to get a biology degree. I simply cannot do that on a regular basis.

me hate taking apart animals it doesnt feel right
bonnie was here yesterday
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:04:54 PM
I've decided that I won't be dissecting a frog this year, for the following reasons

-I've already dissected a frog, and it's not something I need to do a second time. I've discerned most educational value possible from doing such and to dissect another frog would be a waste of a frog.

-Formaldehyde is an extremely unpleasant odour. This mixed with the act of bending over and slicing open an amphibian's skin and pulling out all of it's organs gives me a vague sense of sickliness. I took more of that sick-feeling away from dissection than any education.

-The entire concept of every single student having their own little frog to cut open is kinda sick. If you're going to slice up little animals for the sake of education, you could feasibly just sacrifice one frog. Have a gathering at the auditorium and the students can watch as on a projected screen as someone gives a tour of the frog's innards. But for every student to individually have the experience of doing the slicing themselves is unnecessary and gross.

-Moral indignation is fun, especially when authority is involved. I will wear ceremonious robes and splash holy water in my teacher's face while speaking tongues.

-I have an irrational sense of morality that compels me and I don't see why I shouldn't follow it since doing something that disturbs me will only bring displeasure while avoiding it will be more comfortable. This is not moral reasoning, mind you, because I would gladly eat a frog (morally) if it were cooked and prepared to be delicious and relatively unrecognizable as a previously living animal. It's just the emotion involved.
bonnieluvs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:17:15 PM
At 1/8/2010 9:04:54 PM, Harlan wrote:
I've decided that I won't be dissecting a frog this year, for the following reasons

-I've already dissected a frog, and it's not something I need to do a second time. I've discerned most educational value possible from doing such and to dissect another frog would be a waste of a frog.

-Formaldehyde is an extremely unpleasant odour. This mixed with the act of bending over and slicing open an amphibian's skin and pulling out all of it's organs gives me a vague sense of sickliness. I took more of that sick-feeling away from dissection than any education.

-The entire concept of every single student having their own little frog to cut open is kinda sick. If you're going to slice up little animals for the sake of education, you could feasibly just sacrifice one frog. Have a gathering at the auditorium and the students can watch as on a projected screen as someone gives a tour of the frog's innards. But for every student to individually have the experience of doing the slicing themselves is unnecessary and gross.

-Moral indignation is fun, especially when authority is involved. I will wear ceremonious robes and splash holy water in my teacher's face while speaking tongues.

-I have an irrational sense of morality that compels me and I don't see why I shouldn't follow it since doing something that disturbs me will only bring displeasure while avoiding it will be more comfortable. This is not moral reasoning, mind you, because I would gladly eat a frog (morally) if it were cooked and prepared to be delicious and relatively unrecognizable as a previously living animal. It's just the emotion involved.

hmm good reasons lol
bonnie was here yesterday
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 10:34:54 PM
Ive decided to take Biology this year for the following reasons:

-I require it so that i can complete my Masters degree.

-I dont have to dissect animals and havent since high school.

-Science is a helluva lot better and useful than Art. And more important. I can take pride in laughing at Art majors. Art may be beautiful, but science is useful. Id rather have a car or a bottle of penicillin than a painting of the Mona Lisa.
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 10:51:30 PM
I don't agree with your statements about art/science as I find both useful in life. I love the literary style of Origin of Species as well as the science, and the art of Gould's writings is very nice. I had to dissect animals in biology and the next level for me involved cats. I love kittehs. I stopped as I know dissections are important and I knew I would hate it (Yes, I was trained as a medic in the Air Force ... ironic, heh?)
My love of science could have been satisfied without the dissections so it is a hobby for me now. I taught myself and have done well. I have a degree, but I do not need one in biology to love science. I can hold my own with any undergrad bio majors.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 9:28:19 PM
At 1/8/2010 8:29:42 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I liked science until I got to high school, and things weren't just common sense and memorization. Chemistry and physics are hard. D;

Yes they are hard. As somebody who has a severe learning disability in math, I really struggled with this stuff in high school, especially physics.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 5:48:50 AM
At 1/8/2010 10:51:30 PM, sherlockmethod wrote:
I don't agree with your statements about art/science as I find both useful in life. I love the literary style of Origin of Species as well as the science, and the art of Gould's writings is very nice. I had to dissect animals in biology and the next level for me involved cats. I love kittehs. I stopped as I know dissections are important and I knew I would hate it (Yes, I was trained as a medic in the Air Force ... ironic, heh?)
My love of science could have been satisfied without the dissections so it is a hobby for me now. I taught myself and have done well. I have a degree, but I do not need one in biology to love science. I can hold my own with any undergrad bio majors.

I never said that Art is not useful. I said that Science is MORE useful than Art. To me, as i said before, id rather have medical supplies than a painting of the Mona Lisa if i were stranded on an island. You might consider bringing your favorite book, but i like to be more practical.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:05:32 PM
Science is great fun because it reveals how the world works. You can see it happening every day. Einstein is credited with discovering that the reason wet sand is firmer than dry sand is due to the surface tension of water. A simple but remarkable observation. We should all hope to be so aware.

Dissecting animals is somewhat offputting, but not as bad as dissecting Liberals. There is much to be learned from such exercises, regardless.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:08:35 PM
At 1/11/2010 1:05:32 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Dissecting animals is somewhat offputting, but not as bad as dissecting Liberals.

Lol.
alyssa_16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:13:24 PM
i am i big science nerd sorry :)
you took me back to the time we had had our very first fight the slamming of doors in stead of a kiss good night you stayed out side all night a few years have come and gone and we were sitting at our favorite spot in town and you looked at me got down on one knee your momma cryed and so did my daddy, i said yes !!we went home were we met 10 years ago after all this time you and me WOW!! I never would have guessed i am so excited!!!!!!!!!!
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 6:00:08 PM
At 1/11/2010 1:26:18 PM, tkubok wrote:
...And you never get laid do you.
I don't think you realized you were talking about a female science nerd. Plenty of guys are all about that.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 7:46:44 PM
I love dissections. It helps if you envision them as machines and not animals that once lived. My favorite dissection was a cat dissection. I treated it like taking apart a very sophisticated toaster.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 3:08:20 AM
At 1/11/2010 7:46:44 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I love dissections. It helps if you envision them as machines and not animals that once lived. My favorite dissection was a cat dissection. I treated it like taking apart a very sophisticated toaster.

This sounds an awful lot like something Hannibal Lecter would say
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 3:12:17 AM
At 1/11/2010 6:00:08 PM, omelet wrote:
At 1/11/2010 1:26:18 PM, tkubok wrote:
...And you never get laid do you.
I don't think you realized you were talking about a female science nerd. Plenty of guys are all about that.

So youre saying that her standards are the same as some girl who enters a bar and shouts "SOMEONE HAVE SEX WITH ME RIGHT NOW!!"?

At 1/12/2010 3:08:20 AM, Metallicker wrote:

No, hannibal lecter would say that the cat was succulent.
alyssa_16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 12:40:03 PM
yes i do get laid i am a smart athleat i have boobs and a but thats all a girl needs that and to take care of her self and she got the guys where she wants them
you took me back to the time we had had our very first fight the slamming of doors in stead of a kiss good night you stayed out side all night a few years have come and gone and we were sitting at our favorite spot in town and you looked at me got down on one knee your momma cryed and so did my daddy, i said yes !!we went home were we met 10 years ago after all this time you and me WOW!! I never would have guessed i am so excited!!!!!!!!!!
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 12:51:05 PM
At 1/13/2010 12:40:03 PM, alyssa_16 wrote:
yes i do get laid i am a smart athleat i have boobs and a but thats all a girl needs that and to take care of her self and she got the guys where she wants them

depends. Fat women have boobs and a butt, but i cant think of many men whod want those girls.
alyssa_16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 12:58:12 PM
i am not fat i am 5 2 and 120 lbs. i am 16 im not fat i just love science :) i also love to read... i just enjoy it a lot
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 1:33:27 PM
At 1/13/2010 12:58:12 PM, alyssa_16 wrote:
i am not fat i am 5 2 and 120 lbs. i am 16 im not fat i just love science :) i also love to read... i just enjoy it a lot

This is a forced reply.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 8:22:40 PM
At 1/12/2010 3:08:20 AM, Metallicker wrote:

Hey, the thing's already dead :P It's no different from a complex piece of machinery.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 2:00:07 PM
At 1/8/2010 8:10:56 PM, bonnieluvs wrote:
I'm no good at science so i have to say i hate science sorry

I do not!
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!