Jump to topic:

Rejecting Science

RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:43:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't understand why people are so willing to reject science without looking at it, without understanding it, and without any rational basis or evidence for doing so.

It seems a rejection of one field of science always comes with a conspiracy theory, but it's completely irrational to think of a scientific conspiracy. Scientists live to disprove current theories. They live to break down existing models so they can make better ones. They get recognition for advancing knowledge. There would be no motivation for a conspiracy, and every motivation to expose one.

Take climate change. I can guarantee that almost any person who denies climate change hasn't looked at the science. Maybe they have glanced at an IPCC report, but most likely they get their information from FOX or a climate-change blogger. Even less will have looked at actual published papers, methodologies, and data.

I'm not capable of grasping the science behind climate change fully, I just don't have the background for it. It would be insanely preposterous for me to simply dismiss every published paper on the subject and call it a hoax.

Same thing with quantum mechanics. I'm not a physicist, and have no qualification to attempt to debunk it.

I just don't understand the self-importance one must feel to think they can easily refute a vast body of scientific knowledge and research, without ever having even looked at it.
We are better than religion. We are better than gods.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:44:44 PM
At 12/31/2013 4:43:01 PM, RhysJaxson wrote:
I don't understand why people are so willing to reject science without looking at it, without understanding it, and without any rational basis or evidence for doing so.

It's pretty easy to understand, actually. The reason is because those people who reject science in the way you describe think that science is something that imminently comes at the expense of their faith/morals/values. It may be an absurd reason, but that's the reason.
Tsar of DDO
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:51:56 PM

It seems a rejection of one field of science always comes with a conspiracy theory, but it's completely irrational to think of a scientific conspiracy. Scientists live to disprove current theories. They live to break down existing models so they can make better ones. They get recognition for advancing knowledge. There would be no motivation for a conspiracy, and every motivation to expose one.

Take climate change. I can guarantee that almost any person who denies climate change hasn't looked at the science. Maybe they have glanced at an IPCC report, but most likely they get their information from FOX or a climate-change blogger. Even less will have looked at actual published papers, methodologies, and data.

I'm not capable of grasping the science behind climate change fully, I just don't have the background for it. It would be insanely preposterous for me to simply dismiss every published paper on the subject and call it a hoax.

Same thing with quantum mechanics. I'm not a physicist, and have no qualification to attempt to debunk it.

I just don't understand the self-importance one must feel to think they can easily refute a vast body of scientific knowledge and research, without ever having even looked at it.

They have to. It's the only way to attempt to keep their faith.
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 5:07:01 PM
At 12/31/2013 4:44:44 PM, YYW wrote:

It's pretty easy to understand, actually. The reason is because those people who reject science in the way you describe think that science is something that imminently comes at the expense of their faith/morals/values. It may be an absurd reason, but that's the reason.

The lengths that it took to turn me away from science growing up were unbelievable. My parents, my school teachers, my friends and their parents, and all our church leaders unanimously called evolution 'devil science'.

Even with that kind of environment and influence on me, I couldn't deny the evidence. It took far longer than it should have, but come on. Science is awesome. It's the only thing that really teaches us about the universe, and the universe is just, beyond words.

That's the real reason I don't get it. I understand what you said, but I can't understand how that absurd reason can trump curiosity or the majesty of reality.

It's like turtles all the way down, except it's indoctrination. Generation to generation, all the way down.

I'm fairly confident that the internet will be recognized as the death of religion(mostly death, if not all death) in the future. Parents can't easily keep their children wrapped up in tiny world-view like they could when I was growing up.
We are better than religion. We are better than gods.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 10:47:39 PM

I take it we are talking about evolution here ?

If evolution is true for certain religious beliefs it has enormousness ramifications.

We are not just talking about some mere belief. We are talking about how this strikes at the very foundations of how some people see........everything.

The world, themselves, morality, life after death..........GOD.

To some.................it's asking to much.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 3:07:53 AM
Why are people ITT equating being religious with rejecting scientific knowledge? Most scientists are religious: http://www.pewforum.org....

"The more I study science the more I believe in God".

--Albert Einstein