Jump to topic:

Somebody

GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 2:07:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Somebody challenge me to a "Common Descent Is Proven" debate, and I'll be Con..

I don't want to just start an open debate because a noob always accepts and trolls or forfeits or something
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 2:45:36 AM
At 1/5/2014 2:07:03 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

I don't want to just start an open debate because a noob always accepts and trolls or forfeits or something

I wouldn't have enough evidence to prove evolution is 100% true. However I would be willing to engage you in a debate regarding whether creationism or evolution is the correct explanation.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 3:49:46 AM

Define proven.....if you mean with 100 percent certainty I think you know better.

Maybe common decent is beyond reasonable doubt ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 4:18:13 AM
I would be interested in debating something along the lines of "The creationist argument 'common design => common designer' doesn't adequately nor accurately describe the data."

The argument I would be arguing against would be something along the lines of "Similarity ("homology") is not evidence for common ancestry (evolution) as against a common designer (creation). Think about a Porsche and Volkswagen "Beetle" car. They both have air"cooled, flat, horizontally"opposed, 4"cylinder engines in the rear, independent suspension, two doors, boot (trunk) in the front, and many other similarities ("homologies"). Why do these two very different cars have so many similarities? Because they had the same designer! Whether similarity is morphological (appearance), or biochemical, is of no consequence to the lack of logic in this argument for evolution."

Basically I would be arguing that the similarities observed in the data 1) support (and would be expected given) evolution from a common ancestor and 2) remain unexplained by Creation and would not be expected if common ancestry were false. Your burden of proof would be to show that Creationism does adequately and accurately explain observed similarities (at least insofar as Creation is a plausible alternative to evolution, not necessarily a better explanation than evolution). I think this keeps the debate focused on both the merits of evolution and Creation with respect to the data, specifically in explaining observed similarity (rather than a debate with a scope wider than the theory of evolution itself and creation as the null hypothesis irrespective of empirical support) and avoids bias in the resolution (for example, does science deal with proof?).
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 8:31:01 AM

I'll debate you if you change the resolution to "Common Descent Is Probable".
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 3:02:18 PM
At 1/5/2014 8:31:01 AM, Subutai wrote:

I'll debate you if you change the resolution to "Common Descent Is Probable".

Challenge me! You have a perfect win record so far so I choose you xD
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...