Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Possible winners for the IgNobel 2014

iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Posts: 720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 5:01:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The IgNobel is presented every year.
http://www.improbable.com...
Here is a forum dedicated to possible winners for 2014.

First entry, stopping the effects of THC in marijuana. Seriously why? IS this not the reason that people smoke marijuana.

http://www.sciencemag.org...
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 5:40:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Lighters should have a plug-in so that you can refuel them with farts - simple and cost-saving, I'm a genius.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 5:43:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was reading about the IgNobel awards before, pretty hilarious. Apparently it was rather widely believed in olden times that the testicles were weights attached to the vocal chords, and so as they descended the vocal chords become more taut and the voice hardened. Some dude did a whole load of research on this, lol.
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 4:24:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/7/2014 5:43:19 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I was reading about the IgNobel awards before, pretty hilarious. Apparently it was rather widely believed in olden times that the testicles were weights attached to the vocal chords, and so as they descended the vocal chords become more taut and the voice hardened. Some dude did a whole load of research on this, lol.

Scrotal Asymmetry in Man and in Ancient Sculpture - 1979 Chris McManus et al.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 4:29:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/8/2014 4:24:33 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 1/7/2014 5:43:19 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I was reading about the IgNobel awards before, pretty hilarious. Apparently it was rather widely believed in olden times that the testicles were weights attached to the vocal chords, and so as they descended the vocal chords become more taut and the voice hardened. Some dude did a whole load of research on this, lol.

Scrotal Asymmetry in Man and in Ancient Sculpture - 1979 Chris McManus et al.

Thank you, lol.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 7:48:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/7/2014 5:01:05 PM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:

First entry, stopping the effects of THC in marijuana.

That was especially weird because the only reason one would take the THC from marijuana is to prevent it from being illegal, so it can be given to sick people.

But the doctor who developed that marijuana was an Israeli, and in Israel they haven't officially banned marijuana, so it makes even less sense to do that.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Posts: 720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 7:42:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/8/2014 7:48:27 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/7/2014 5:01:05 PM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:

First entry, stopping the effects of THC in marijuana.

That was especially weird because the only reason one would take the THC from marijuana is to prevent it from being illegal, so it can be given to sick people.

But the doctor who developed that marijuana was an Israeli, and in Israel they haven't officially banned marijuana, so it makes even less sense to do that.

I agree it is bizarre for so many reasons. But still insightful. Hence perfect for the IgNobel.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Posts: 720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 11:23:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here is another why penguins do the wave.
http://www.nature.com...

"Emperor penguins breed during the Antarctic winter and have to endure temperatures as low as W22;50 "C and wind speeds of up to 200 km hW22;1. To conserve energy, they form densely packed huddles with a triangular lattice structure. Video recordings from previous studies revealed coordinated movements in regular wave-like patterns within these huddles. It is thought that these waves are triggered by individual penguins that locally disturb the huddle structure, and that the traveling wave serves to remove the lattice defects and restore order. "

and the article link.
http://iopscience.iop.org...
chui
Posts: 507
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 5:54:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/7/2014 5:01:05 PM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
The IgNobel is presented every year.
http://www.improbable.com...
Here is a forum dedicated to possible winners for 2014.

First entry, stopping the effects of THC in marijuana. Seriously why? IS this not the reason that people smoke marijuana.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

The article above says in its abstract (ie right at the beginning) that the drug they have found could be used for

"..... the treatment of cannabis intoxication and addiction."

So you could have answered your own question if you had actually read your sources.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Posts: 720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 6:02:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 5:54:31 AM, chui wrote:
At 1/7/2014 5:01:05 PM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
The IgNobel is presented every year.
http://www.improbable.com...
Here is a forum dedicated to possible winners for 2014.

First entry, stopping the effects of THC in marijuana. Seriously why? IS this not the reason that people smoke marijuana.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

The article above says in its abstract (ie right at the beginning) that the drug they have found could be used for

"..... the treatment of cannabis intoxication and addiction."

So you could have answered your own question if you had actually read your sources.

Oh, I read the article and their are other drugs for THC intoxication already. But this is my point people want to get high. So whats the point its not that people smoking marijuana are going to be taking the drug.
chui
Posts: 507
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 7:15:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 6:02:59 AM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
At 1/17/2014 5:54:31 AM, chui wrote:
At 1/7/2014 5:01:05 PM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
The IgNobel is presented every year.
http://www.improbable.com...
Here is a forum dedicated to possible winners for 2014.

First entry, stopping the effects of THC in marijuana. Seriously why? IS this not the reason that people smoke marijuana.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

The article above says in its abstract (ie right at the beginning) that the drug they have found could be used for

"..... the treatment of cannabis intoxication and addiction."

So you could have answered your own question if you had actually read your sources.

Oh, I read the article and their are other drugs for THC intoxication already. But this is my point people want to get high. So whats the point its not that people smoking marijuana are going to be taking the drug.

So are you saying that people with an addiction or intoxication problem, never want treatment?
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Posts: 720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 7:49:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 7:15:06 AM, chui wrote:
At 1/17/2014 6:02:59 AM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
At 1/17/2014 5:54:31 AM, chui wrote:
At 1/7/2014 5:01:05 PM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
The IgNobel is presented every year.
http://www.improbable.com...
Here is a forum dedicated to possible winners for 2014.

First entry, stopping the effects of THC in marijuana. Seriously why? IS this not the reason that people smoke marijuana.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

The article above says in its abstract (ie right at the beginning) that the drug they have found could be used for

"..... the treatment of cannabis intoxication and addiction."

So you could have answered your own question if you had actually read your sources.

Oh, I read the article and their are other drugs for THC intoxication already. But this is my point people want to get high. So whats the point its not that people smoking marijuana are going to be taking the drug.

So are you saying that people with an addiction or intoxication problem, never want treatment?

No what I am saying is that people who want to be intoxicated don't want treatment. Also from personal experience I have yet to meet a marijuana addict that can not kick the habit by not smoking for a day. The withdrawal effects are non existent except for a few negative moods and insomnia. But this side effect is associated with withdrawal from caffeine or nicotine as well.

http://www.livescience.com...