Jump to topic:

I Want all the Variables in the StandardModel

MasturDbtor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 11:31:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've seen the equation numerous times, and strangely it seems as if (correct me if I'm wrong) there are slightly different forms.

One big problem is they never define all the variables. I scour the internet and I never come across it.

One is at 3:33 in the video "Spontaneous symmetry breaking and the Higgs boson" on Youtube.

I know L at least the one before the equals sign means Lagrangian. I also know from the video that the O with the vertical line through it is the Higgs Boson.

But what are the other variables? Does anybody know? It would also be helpful if you could tell me what the variables are in the symmetry breaking equation that is presented right after it.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 7:51:27 AM
At 1/16/2014 11:31:59 PM, MasturDbtor wrote:
I know L at least the one before the equals sign means Lagrangian. I also know from the video that the O with the vertical line through it is the Higgs Boson.

But what are the other variables? Does anybody know? It would also be helpful if you could tell me what the variables are in the symmetry breaking equation that is presented right after it.

An o with a vertical line through it is the Greek letter phi. I would suggest you do a lot of reading on the subject, as someone listing the variables would be meaningless to you if you don't know the standard Greek alphabet used in science.
MasturDbtor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 7:08:45 PM
At 1/17/2014 7:51:27 AM, Floid wrote:
At 1/16/2014 11:31:59 PM, MasturDbtor wrote:

An o with a vertical line through it is the Greek letter phi. I would suggest you do a lot of reading on the subject, as someone listing the variables would be meaningless to you if you don't know the standard Greek alphabet used in science.

Then I would look up the letter they mentioned. Not a big deal. I have plenty of time.
MasturDbtor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 7:15:07 PM
I type in "phi means Higgs", "phi represents Higgs", and "phi is Higgs" into google and each time it has no search results.

The search engines are not helpful in finding this answer.

Why is it as though they were keeping it all a big secret?
MasturDbtor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 7:16:37 PM
And besides that it wouldn't be meaningless as I would have them listed off and labeled and it's not so important that I understand them now but just that I have them to print off and save so that as I learn more I can understand more and a faster pace than I would otherwise have been able to.