Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Interested in a scientific debate?

Rafe
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 9:26:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I always wondered the reason of everything, and I would like to start a nice debate about science. About gravity, to be specific. Te reason behind it. Would anyone like to debate with me?
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Posts: 720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 1:08:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/22/2014 9:26:32 AM, Rafe wrote:
I always wondered the reason of everything, and I would like to start a nice debate about science. About gravity, to be specific. Te reason behind it. Would anyone like to debate with me

It will result in a highly technical debate involving equations. Not sure if you will find someone that easily.

Good luck.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 7:19:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/22/2014 9:26:32 AM, Rafe wrote:
I always wondered the reason of everything, and I would like to start a nice debate about science. About gravity, to be specific. Te reason behind it. Would anyone like to debate with me?

I'd be glad to debate but a debate requires two opposing positions. What is your position on the subject?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Rafe
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 8:29:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/23/2014 7:19:56 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
I'd be glad to debate but a debate requires two opposing positions. What is your position on the subject?

My position would be that there is no scientific explanation for gravity if you dig deep enough. Still interested?
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 10:30:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/23/2014 8:29:18 AM, Rafe wrote:
At 1/23/2014 7:19:56 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
I'd be glad to debate but a debate requires two opposing positions. What is your position on the subject?

My position would be that there is no scientific explanation for gravity if you dig deep enough. Still interested?

I think it may be to early for this debate. Early as in we don't have enough understand of our universe to say either way.
Rafe
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 10:56:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/23/2014 10:30:58 AM, Df0512 wrote:
I think it may be to early for this debate. Early as in we don't have enough understand of our universe to say either way.

Well, it is as good as we will get in our lifetime, so I do not see why not having this discussion and practicing our debating skills.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 10:59:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/23/2014 10:56:58 AM, Rafe wrote:
At 1/23/2014 10:30:58 AM, Df0512 wrote:
I think it may be to early for this debate. Early as in we don't have enough understand of our universe to say either way.

Well, it is as good as we will get in our lifetime, so I do not see why not having this discussion and practicing our debating skills.

Suppose you could be right.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 7:31:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/23/2014 8:29:18 AM, Rafe wrote:
At 1/23/2014 7:19:56 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
I'd be glad to debate but a debate requires two opposing positions. What is your position on the subject?

My position would be that there is no scientific explanation for gravity if you dig deep enough. Still interested?

It's a subject that interests me but I'll have to pass because we don't hold opposing positions.

I believe science's physical laws are descriptive rather than explanatory, especially when it comes to something like gravity. Physical laws don"t tell us "why" things are as they are, they only describe, and they describe in a very limited sort of way.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 6:29:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/23/2014 10:56:58 AM, Rafe wrote:
My position would be that there is no scientific explanation for gravity if you dig deep enough.

Well, it is as good as we will get in our lifetime, so I do not see why not having this discussion and practicing our debating skills.

What is there to debate?

The statement that "there is no scientific explanation of gravity" is a truism just like any statement "there is no scientific explanation for [insert something there isn't a scientific explanation for]" is a truism.

We don't know why there are any of the fundamental forces. We can describe how they act fairly exactly (some more than others) but if you dig deep enough you reach the limits of scientific knowledge.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 9:23:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/23/2014 7:31:04 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 1/23/2014 8:29:18 AM, Rafe wrote:
At 1/23/2014 7:19:56 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
I'd be glad to debate but a debate requires two opposing positions. What is your position on the subject?

My position would be that there is no scientific explanation for gravity if you dig deep enough. Still interested?

It's a subject that interests me but I'll have to pass because we don't hold opposing positions.

I believe science's physical laws are descriptive rather than explanatory, especially when it comes to something like gravity. Physical laws don"t tell us "why" things are as they are, they only describe, and they describe in a very limited sort of way.

Would you say that is why we only understand part of the spacetime continuum? Science, being phenomenal, cannot reach a conclusion of a noumenal nature, while religion cannot comment on phenomenal activities.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.