Jump to topic:

A brief History of Time

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 9:27:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I just started reading this book by Stephen hawking. Has anyone else read it? What do y'all think?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 10:48:35 PM
At 1/23/2014 9:27:40 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
I just started reading this book by Stephen hawking. Has anyone else read it? What do y'all think?

I was about your age when I first read it. You are on the right path ;)

At 20 y.o., it's hard to fathom the concepts that are out there in theoretical physics. It takes a complete overhaul of your senses. Opening your mind to relativity, in particular, is very difficult and Hawking has just the way to get it across to you without it becoming too frustrating and overwhelming.

If it gets too intense at times, (I believe in chapter 4 or so he gets in depth about spin [the playing cards examples] and it gets pretty hairy) then just skip it and don't let it hang you up. Finish the book and then re-read the parts that confused you. I personally still don't understand spin, it is an impossible concept to actualize in my opinion!

I would move on to his other book, "Universe in a Nutshell" after you get a good hold on A Bried History. Nutshell is probably a bit dated now, but probably the only concept that's obviously outdated is his analogies to computers in the Star Trek chapter. Nutshell takes the concepts and plays with them some more, and gives you a lot of what he said in A Brief History but in a different spin.

Those two should keep you busy for awhile! Why don't you ask us in this thread if you want anything re-explained, and I'll be happy to explain it a different way! I can always use the practice, as I'm not a math guy at all.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 10:51:53 PM
At 1/23/2014 10:48:35 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/23/2014 9:27:40 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

I was about your age when I first read it. You are on the right path ;)

At 20 y.o., it's hard to fathom the concepts that are out there in theoretical physics. It takes a complete overhaul of your senses. Opening your mind to relativity, in particular, is very difficult and Hawking has just the way to get it across to you without it becoming too frustrating and overwhelming.

If it gets too intense at times, (I believe in chapter 4 or so he gets in depth about spin [the playing cards examples] and it gets pretty hairy) then just skip it and don't let it hang you up. Finish the book and then re-read the parts that confused you. I personally still don't understand spin, it is an impossible concept to actualize in my opinion!

I would move on to his other book, "Universe in a Nutshell" after you get a good hold on A Bried History. Nutshell is probably a bit dated now, but probably the only concept that's obviously outdated is his analogies to computers in the Star Trek chapter. Nutshell takes the concepts and plays with them some more, and gives you a lot of what he said in A Brief History but in a different spin.

Those two should keep you busy for awhile! Why don't you ask us in this thread if you want anything re-explained, and I'll be happy to explain it a different way! I can always use the practice, as I'm not a math guy at all.

It is an awesome book! I can't get past a single page without my mind literally imploding.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 11:19:33 PM
Love that book!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten